2/13 @ Houston
2/14 @ Houston
2/15 @ Houston

http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-basebl/sched/hou-m-basebl-sched.html

2/20 @ Texas
2/21 @ Texas (Double header)
2/22 @ Texas

http://texassports.com/schedule.aspx?path=baseball

HUGE chance for the 2015 Gopher baseball team to make an early statement and show the country that they can play with anyone by winning some of these games.
Had posted the Houston series in the All Things Gopher Baseball thread but hadn't seen the Texas series yet but it will definitely be an early challenge. I would think the full schedule for the Gophers should be released any day now as I believe this is about the time it was released last year.

Had posted the Houston series in the All Things Gopher Baseball thread but hadn't seen the Texas series yet but it will definitely be an early challenge. I would think the full schedule for the Gophers should be released any day now as I believe this is about the time it was released last year.

Missed your post on the Houston season opener in the 'All Things Gopher Baseball' thread. Whoops. Sorry about that. Though, probably not a bad thing to have a new thread for 2015 once the new year arrives (even if this thread gets buried before we get there). While I'm at it, yet another quality opponent for the Gophers:

3/6 vs. Creighton (@ TD Ameritrade)
3/7 vs. Creighton (@ TD Ameritrade)
3/8 vs. Creighton (@ TD Ameritrade)

http://www.gocreighton.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=1000&SPID=78&SPSID=89375

This is a fantastic non conference schedule so far! Hoping this won't be the only time the Gophers are playing in Omaha this year...

Missed your post on the Houston season opener in the 'All Things Gopher Baseball' thread. Whoops. Sorry about that. Though, probably not a bad thing to have a new thread for 2015 once the new year arrives (even if this thread gets buried before we get there). While I'm at it, yet another quality opponent for the Gophers:

3/6 vs. Creighton (@ TD Ameritrade)
3/7 vs. Creighton (@ TD Ameritrade)
3/8 vs. Creighton (@ TD Ameritrade)

http://www.gocreighton.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=1000&SPID=78&SPSID=89375

This is a fantastic non conference schedule so far! Hoping this won't be the only time the Gophers are playing in Omaha this year...
Yeah probably good to have a specific season thread the all things thread I started more as just a place for recruiting news and stuff like that during the offseason that can be used every year but I didn't think to start a new season thread for scheduling news either way not a big deal. Creighton is a good solid regional series and the guys should be excited to get to play at that facility again. I'm hoping we see less if any midweek games against D3 schools this year and at least have D1 teams like Milwaukee, UND, NDSU, SDSU, and UNO for our midweek games if not better quality opponents.

I'm hoping we see less if any midweek games against D3 schools this year and at least have D1 teams like Milwaukee, UND, NDSU, SDSU, and UNO for our midweek games if not better quality opponents.

I'm all for playing quality opponents for midweek games. Missouri and Kansas State come to mind as quality midweek opponents that have been played in the recent past. Unfortunately the Gophers are quite isolated geographically and there aren't any big name opponents that are close. I don't like it since it is far from challenging your team (though St. Thomas is routinely very good!), BUT, it is actually somewhat brilliant to play the local D3 schools during the midweek. The team's RPI is not dragged down when they play D3 opponents as those games are not figured into the RPI formula. The Gopher's RPI can be seriously hurt by just playing (and can get just hammered if they lose) the Milwaukees or NDSUs. I almost think they would be better off finding a neutral site halfway and playing fellow B1G teams or the likes of Missouri, Wichita State, Creighton, Kansas, Kansas State, or even Arkansas in midweek games. Otherwise they are really up against it RPI wise. Would be nice to be a team in Florida that can play the likes of UF, FSU, UCF, or Miami (Fla.) during the middle of the week...

Full Schedule has been released
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-basebl/sched/minn-m-basebl-sched.html
Nice to see Kansas State in for a midweek pair and only 2 D3 midweek games. Also would guess they just messed up putting North Dakota as the 2nd game of the Creighton series as Creighton's schedule shows a 3 game set.

Thanks for posting. Really like the schedule this year. Great job by the Gopher staff! Hoping for big things in 2015 if everyone stays healthy.

With the season opener under a week away here is my guess at the opening day lineup at Houston.
CF-Motl-JR
2B-Schaefbauer-JR
3B-Skjefte-SR
1B-To.Hanson-FR
SS-Handel-SR
RF-Smith-SO
DH-Athmann-SO
C-Halloran-SR
LF-Traxler-SO
P-B.Meyer-SR

http://www.d1baseball.com/season-preview/2015b1gpreview/
Nice B1G conference preview from d1baseball.com it mentions the Gophers as a team to keep an eye on and this is what they had on the Gophers:
Minnesota’s superb coaching staff has a knack for getting the most out of its roster, and last year’s Gophers scrapped their way to a 13-11 showing in the Big Ten, tied for fourth place. Replicating that finish in the rugged Big Ten could be a challenge this year, because Minnesota lacks the offensive firepower of the league’s other contenders, but the pitching depth should be a strength once again. The all-upperclassman weekend rotation will keep Minnesota competitive in conference play. Sr. RHP Ben Meyer (4-5, 2.39 in 98 IP) is a battle-tested strike-thrower who locates his fastball well and sets the tone atop the rotation. The team’s best prospect is projected as the Saturday starter: Jr. LHP Dalton Sawyer (6-4, 2.62) has a prototypical 6-foot-5, 210-pound frame, a fastball that can reach 92-93 and a hard slider. He reminds the coaches of former ace Tom Windle, but he must improve his offspeed command to become dominant. Sr. RHP Neal Kunik (2-2, 2.84), the likely Sunday starter, is one of the Big Ten’s best stories: He was cut twice in walk-on tryouts before earning a spot on last year’s team. He’s a wily slop-tosser who thrives off his sinker and slider. So. RHP Toby Anderson, an Idaho native with a projectable body, is a good athlete with improving stuff and gives the staff a fourth quality starting option. The Gophers could have a shutdown closer if Jr. RHP Lance Thonvold can harness his heavy 92-95 mph fastball as he did last summer in the Cape League, where he earned comparisons to former Gopher star Seth Rosin. The coaches are also excited about Fr. LHP Lucas Gilbreath, a Colorado kid who had the best fall of any pitcher on the staff.

Two more freshmen, rangy OF Alex Boxwell and physical 1B/C Toby Hanson, could infuse some sorely needed pop into a lineup that has lacked punch since the start of the BBCOR era. Redshirt sophomore OF Jordan Smith, the potential cleanup man, could emerge as another key run producer—the coaches say he is the most improved player on the team, and he’s coming off a strong summer in the Northwoods League. The most accomplished returnee is Jr. 2B Connor Schaefbauer (.287/.374/.374, 13 SB), a physically mature lefthanded hitter with baserunning savvy and rock-solid defensive skills (he fielded .981 last year and .991 the year before). Minnesota also has a mature 23-year-old fifth-year senior shortstop in Michael Handel, making infield defense a strength for this club.

Houston outhit the Gophers 10-6 and used the strength of 3 homeruns to win the season opener. It won't get any easier for the Gophers tomorrow facing a preseason All-American on the mound in Jake Lemoine.

They just don't have horses to compete with the likes of Houston and Texas. If they win one game in the series I would consider it successful.

They just don't have horses to compete with the likes of Houston and Texas. If they win one game in the series I would consider it successful.
Agreed and even tougher when you haven't really been outside at all and Houston and Texas have both been outside for probably all their practices. If they can find a way to win more than 1 or 2 of the 7 at Houston and Texas I'd be very happy with it.

Really came down to a couple bad innings as the Gophers gave up 3 runs in the 2nd and 2 in the 8th. Gophers had a huge opportunity to get on the board in the top of the 1st with the bases loaded and nobody out with 4,5,6 hitters up but couldn't score.

If anyone have the Longhorn network, they will be broadcasting all games next weekend between Minnesota and Texas. not sure home many have that channel.

Real tough loss for the Gophers today falling 5-4 on a walk off hit. Gophers went up 3-0 in the 1st couple innings but Houston battled back to tie it and eventually take a 4-3 lead taking advantage of Gopher pitching struggling to find the strike zone consistently. Gophers would tie it at 4 in the top of the 9th thanks to a leadoff single by Alex Boxwell who moved to 2nd on an errant pickoff attempt and 3rd on a groundout. Matt Fiedler then drove him in with a double but was tagged out after he overslid the base on the wet turf. Houston's leadoff guy got hit by a pitch and then advanced to 2nd on a sac bunt. The next Houston batter was hit by a pitch with 2 strikes on him and after a passed ball the Gophers would issue an intentional walk to load the bases. Houston then hit a slow infield chopper up the 3rd base line to score the run and win the game.

Texas dominates game 1 of the 4 game series beating the Gophers 13-2 and outhitting the Gophers 17-4.

Gophers play much better but Texas takes game 2 of the series 5-0. The Longhorns and Gophers will get game 3 of the series started in about 30-45 minutes.

Gophers fall 5-0 in game 3 of the series as well. 2 innings were the big difference in this one as Texas got a solo home run followed by a triple and a double for 2 runs in the 4th and later added 3 runs in the 8th.

Looks like the same problems as the last two years, can the Gophers score any runs?

Looks like the same problems as the last two years, can the Gophers score any runs?
Feels similar especially in the 2nd game yesterday where 2 or 3 innings in a row we had the leadoff guy on and a couple of times we lined into double plays. I did kind of expect that these first couple weeks but I'm just hoping it isn't something we have to deal with all season and is more because of the quality teams and being early in the season.

Feels similar especially in the 2nd game yesterday where 2 or 3 innings in a row we had the leadoff guy on and a couple of times we lined into double plays. I did kind of expect that these first couple weeks but I'm just hoping it isn't something we have to deal with all season and is more because of the quality teams and being early in the season.

I don't post much but have to get this off my chest. The weekend literally couldn't be a bigger DEBACLE so far. I don't remember ever seeing the Gophers score ZERO earned runs over three games (including their offensive deficient seasons over the past few years). That is really hard to do. For the team to be 1-34 or something unheard of like that with runners on base the first three games and 0 for , so far, with runners in scoring position is crazy. Also, it has been a long time since I have seen a game where a team gets their leadoff batter on EVERY inning as Texas did in Game 1. May have seen it back in a tee ball game I guess...

Does Coach Anderson not believe in bunting or small ball? Motl tried to bunt for a base hit once I believe but when you are having that much trouble scoring runs I suggest you employ some small ball tactics and attempt to get your team involved in the series at some point for crying out loud (They did hit and run a few times to be fair). With these new bats, even with this year's raised seams on the balls, a team should be bunting runners over on occasion and it seems to be a rarity with the Gophers. Sorry, but that is bad/stubborn coaching if that adjustment is not made. Hopefully, if this dearth of offense continues the coaches will adjust how they play this season.

On the positive side of things. Meyer wasn't "on" in Game 1 but I think the weekend rotation of Meyer, Sawyer, and Shannon is a legitimate one. For some crazy reason, must be the "gopher goggles" that I frequently wear, I actually think this team will be a factor in the B1G if they can start to hit the flippin' ball. I reserve the right to change my opinion before B1G play starts...

Lastly, check out this take on moving the college baseball season back from Aaron Fitt at D1 baseball:

http://www.d1baseball.com/columns/ten-thoughts-friday-feb-22/

I'm all for it.

I don't post much but have to get this off my chest. The weekend literally couldn't be a bigger DEBACLE so far. I don't remember ever seeing the Gophers score ZERO earned runs over three games (including their offensive deficient seasons over the past few years). That is really hard to do. For the team to be 1-34 or something unheard of like that with runners on base the first three games and 0 for , so far, with runners in scoring position is crazy. Also, it has been a long time since I have seen a game where a team gets their leadoff batter on EVERY inning as Texas did in Game 1. May have seen it back in a tee ball game I guess...

Does Coach Anderson not believe in bunting or small ball? Motl tried to bunt for a base hit once I believe but when you are having that much trouble scoring runs I suggest you employ some small ball tactics and attempt to get your team involved in the series at some point for crying out loud (They did hit and run a few times to be fair). With these new bats, even with this year's raised seams on the balls, a team should be bunting runners over on occasion and it seems to be a rarity with the Gophers. Sorry, but that is bad/stubborn coaching if that adjustment is not made. Hopefully, if this dearth of offense continues the coaches will adjust how they play this season.

On the positive side of things. Meyer wasn't "on" in Game 1 but I think the weekend rotation of Meyer, Sawyer, and Shannon is a legitimate one. For some crazy reason, must be the "gopher goggles" that I frequently wear, I actually think this team will be a factor in the B1G if they can start to hit the flippin' ball. I reserve the right to change my opinion before B1G play starts...

Lastly, check out this take on moving the college baseball season back from Aaron Fitt at D1 baseball:

http://www.d1baseball.com/columns/ten-thoughts-friday-feb-22/

I'm all for it.
I like this team and still think the Gophers can compete in the B1G if the hitting comes around as well and there are some signs that it could be coming around a little with some hard hit balls this weekend that haven't fell in.

I definitely would be all for moving back the start of the season and the writer makes some very good points. It really just seems kind of crazy to star the baseball season in the middle of February.

Texas completes the sweep winning 8-0 today. Most of the damage was done in a 5 run 2nd inning which saw the Gophers starting pitcher Neal Kunik leave with an injury. Houston and Texas are both very good teams and I'm anxious to see how this team plays at Florida Gulf Coast next week. Hopefully we can put some wins together after a tough start to the season.

"With these new bats, even with this year's raised seams on the balls"

The bats are hardly new. The specifications were changed five years ago. Also, the new seams are flat...not raised.

Top Bottom