2014-2015 Gopher Women's Season Thread!

El Amin Fan

Reaction score
With practice starting, its time to shift to a new season thread. With Carlie on board along with the Swedish Shaq and Banham, along with a new coaching staff, I'm excited to see this team.

Don't forget this one:

Shae Kelley
10370853.jpeg

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/shae_kelley_907632.html

Excited for the womens team to start the season. Lots of promise and optimism for the first time in about a decade.

Borton wore me down to the point where we dropped our season tickets. Too many frustrating losses, followed by a 50 mile drive home in the middle of winter, made me ask, "Why?" Very much looking forward to this team with a new coach. You're right, Station, Shae Kelley might be the key. If she can fit in by moving the ball and playing defense, this team might be really good. Seem to have a lot of weapons. Need a "glue" type player.

Black jerseys, interesting. I like the look though.

I haven't been back since the year half of the team quit. (It may be that Borton survived that because it appears that her partner is high up in the administration at the U, which also explains the contract extension.) This is going to be a fun year. I like the fact that the women's program isn't fearful of scheduling real teams during the preseason.

I completely agree with station 19 on the top 6. I really like Hirt but if Mullaney is healthy she'll probably be the 5th starter.

I completely agree with station 19 on the top 6. I really like Hirt but if Mullaney is healthy she'll probably be the 5th starter.

I'm leaning towards Mullaney because coach Marlene seems to prefer the same style as coach Pitino. Another guard may fit the style better.

CBS: Gophers’ Banham Named Big 10 Preseason Player Of The Year

The college basketball season hasn’t started yet, but the University of Minnesota women’s basketball team is already getting attention across the Big Ten Conference.

Senior guard Rachel Banham was named the league’s Preseason Player of the Year Thursday morning by both the coaches and the media involved in the Big Ten. Banham was a unanimous All-Big Ten First Team pick last year after leading the league in scoring at more than 22 points per game.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/10/16/gophers-banham-named-big-10-preseason-player-of-the-year/

Go Gophers!!

I'm leaning towards Mullaney because coach Marlene seems to prefer the same style as coach Pitino. Another guard may fit the style better.

I agree with your top 6 but there are four other freshmen and a sophomore I don't think we've seen play? Plus Hedstrom does work pretty hard and sometimes you'd like to bring scoring off the bench versus hustle. Hard to tell without seeing them but it's a pretty solid six.

The people bashing Borton maybe need to be somewhat appreciative that all the talent except Shae was left behind by Borton.

The people bashing Borton maybe need to be somewhat appreciative that all the talent except Shae was left behind by Borton.

Seriously? Last 5 years: Best BIG finish was 6th---Overall BIG record was 42-51---BIG Tournament victories-2 in 5 years---2 NIT victories and 1 NCAA appearance where they lost in first round.

I'm too lazy to look up the decrease in attendance and it's too depressing to list all of the Minnesota kids who went elsewhere.

Seriously? Last 5 years: Best BIG finish was 6th---Overall BIG record was 42-51---BIG Tournament victories-2 in 5 years---2 NIT victories and 1 NCAA appearance where they lost in first round.

I'm too lazy to look up the decrease in attendance and it's too depressing to list all of the Minnesota kids who went elsewhere.

I'd say you summed that up quite well.

Why is she wearing VCU colors?

Worse yet, those are Iowa colors.

A minor thing, but that's just not thinking and/or lazy.

Tom Izzo wore a white shirt with a black jacket. I wish he would think/not be lazy!

Tom Izzo wore a white shirt with a black jacket. I wish he would think/not be lazy!

Generally speaking, don't coaches usually try to wear some semblance of their school colors at functions like this? Not always, can't argue with you there, but I doubt Tom Izzo has ever worn maize and blue to a function where he's going to be out there front & center representing MSU. (an aside, Izzo already looks like hell and the season hasn't even started)

MN Daily: Banham works to cement legacy

Banham currently sits at 1,993 points, and barring injury, she should easily shatter former Gophers star Lindsay Whalen’s 2,285 all-time point record this season.

Banham is on-pace to shatter numerous other program records, too, likely earning more national recognition along the way.

But one of the most important things Banham hasn’t accomplished is within reach, and she has her eyes set on it: reaching the NCAA tournament.

The Gophers talk about the tournament every day in practice, Banham said.

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/womens-basketball/2014/10/20/banham-works-cement-legacy

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Gophers women's basketball team gets new, improved Amanda Zahui B.

"Amanda Zahui B. went home to Sweden for the summer, but she didn't spend enough time with her family even to enjoy her mother's delicious pancakes.

Minnesota's 6-foot-5 sophomore center spent most of her time touring with the senior national team for the first time, an experience she dreamed about while growing up.

When she returned to the Gophers, Zahui B. was in many ways a different player.

Most notably, she was 40 pounds lighter."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_26817015/gophers-womens-basketball-team-gets-new-improved-amanda

Gophers women's basketball: New black uniforms a hit with players

"Freshman guard Carlie Wagner can run circles around her teammates in conditioning drills. The former New Richland-Hartland-Ellendale-Geneva High school standout reached the state meet in the 200-meter dash as a senior.

"She's in creepy great shape," Banham said. "I was like, 'What's happening? What are you eating?' ... You should see her run."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_26817015/gophers-womens-basketball-team-gets-new-improved-amanda

Top Bottom