2014-2015 Gopher Women's Season Thread!

Checking further on the site she was the second leading scorer at 12 points a game. All-State as a senior in HS in Texas.

No problem. More room for gals who can come in and help Coach Stallings build depth.

We need depth with quality kids.

GO GOPHERS!!!

That seems to be a lot of transfer outs. Anyone have any insight? Just not fit the style of play?

Typical hopefully

That seems to be a lot of transfer outs. Anyone have any insight? Just not fit the style of play?

Losing six elgible players is pretty drastic but they either didn't play at all or played quite sparingly. So, with effectively 5 of 6 starters back it's pretty easy to see why they'd leave if they didn't play much this year. Likely the best for all involved. Not to mention: two
of the recruits coming so far are junior college players who typically play early in their arrivals. And the other recruit is pretty highly rated.

Losing six elgible players is pretty drastic but they either didn't play at all or played quite sparingly. So, with effectively 5 of 6 starters back it's pretty easy to see why they'd leave if they didn't play much this year. Likely the best for all involved. Not to mention: two
of the recruits coming so far are junior college players who typically play early in their arrivals. And the other recruit is pretty highly rated.

Kenisha Bell has requested a transfer from Marquette. She at one time was a verbal commitment to Minnesota before switching. No word where she's going but the Gophers do have openings. Averaged over 14 points a game as a freshman so pretty sure she'd be welcomed.

Not the first time and won't be the last that a new coach takes over a program, and some of the players recruited by the previous coach take off. In some cases, it may be because the holdovers are not a good fit for the new coach's system, or it could be a personality issue - ("I liked the old coach, and I don't like the new coach.....")

Bottom line is that the Gophers need to really improve their depth to play Stollings' style effectively for an entire season. this year's team just ran out of gas down the stretch from all the minutes they played.

On a side note, I think having Banham back next year is going to really help Carlie Wagner - Banham is going to draw a lot of attention from other teams, so if she gets double-teamed, Wagner should get some wide open looks for those perimeter 3's.

Five Gophers Named Academic All-B1G

March 25, 2015
MINNEAPOLIS - The University of Minnesota women's basketball team had five student-athletes named to the Winter Academic All-Big Ten Team, as announced by the league office Wednesday.

The Gophers who received Big Ten honors included Mikayla Bailey (kinesiology), Joanna Hedstrom (marketing), Kayla Hirt (sociology of law, criminology and deviance), Shayne Mullaney (communication studies) and Amanda Zahui B. (African American and African studies).

To be eligible for Academic All-Big Ten selection, student-athletes must be letterwinners in at least their second academic year at their institution and carry a career grade-point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better.

Hirt made her third-straight appearance on the winter all-academic team, while Bailey, Mullaney and Zahui B. earned the honor for the second-consecutive year.

Overall, 82 Golden Gopher student-athletes were honored for the success in the classroom. The list of Minnesota student-athletes who received the conference accolade include two men's and five women's basketball players, seven men's and seven women's gymnasts, 13 men's hockey players, 24 men's and 16 women's swimmers and divers and eight wrestlers.

-UM-

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/032515aad.html

"More room for gals who can come in and help Coach Stallings build depth."

Had to laugh. Shed all of your depth so that you can build depth. Sly as a fox.

How long before they sign anybody from Minnesota? 2017? 2018 maybe? 2019?

The lady's fly charter. There is a big time ladies booster up here in Brainerd. She was at the Craguns
Golf Outing and flat out said all her donations go towards women's basketball. Stollings has the support of the subway women's alumni to recruit on a national level. She will not waste time on Minnesota recruits if they're not HONESTLY interested She wants this program to rival U-Conn, Baylor, Notre Dame, Maryland, etc. Boys, if you're a basketball purist like myself and like equally both the men's and women's program, I think the ladies are in good shape. The jury is out on Pitino.

Zahui B. Earns Pair of All-America Honors
The center was named to the AP All-America First Team and the USBWA All-America Team.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/033115aac.html

10952758.jpeg

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

And two more years!

Scary part is, I think she has the potential to be a whole lot better.

Because the opposing women will be melting in their boots. Just like when Dr.Don strolls in the room.

You are a liar. When you and I strolled into the room, the women oggled at you.

And tiny was ignored. He's really ugly.

You are a liar. When you and I strolled into the room, the women oggled at you.

And tiny was ignored. He's really ugly.

Pretty hard for Tiny to walk and preach at the same time.

Scary part is, I think she has the potential to be a whole lot better.

I'm with you on that. I think she's capable of being a national POY. She showed some range on her jump shot this year and could even extend that. She's a deft ballhandler and could become even better. She'll add post moves.

Top Bottom