STrib: Vanek's long journey leads him back to Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the STrib:

Vanek is finally about to begin his second Minnesota career. He will be wearing the green sweater for the first time Thursday when the Wild opens the 2014-15 season against Colorado at Xcel Energy Center.

“When we won that national title in ’03, Thomas just put the team on his back — I mean, there was no doubt who our best player was at that tournament,” said Gophers coach Don Lucia. “He has been a very elite player at every level he’s been. He’ll make [the Wild] team better and give them the ingredient that every team is looking for, and that’s the ability to score goals.”

But Vanek swears he would not have signed in Minnesota unless he thought the team could win.

“This decision was not because I live here,” Vanek said. “It’s because I feel like this team has depth and I can add to it. I’ve always believed in myself, and I still do. Last year was a tough year moving around. But going into every year, I know I can score and make my teammates better. I still feel like my game is growing. I still feel I have a lot of good hockey left.

“Once that thought in my head goes away, then it’s time for me to step away.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/278141691.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom