I thought we'd see more of Donovahn Jones this year

El Amin Fan

Reaction score
Jones is the one guy who I thought would be a much bigger part of the offense. I realize we had a few games where the passing game wasn't, ahem, used much, but he seems pretty quiet.

Anyone see anything that would lend to him having a lesser role this year?

Tyler Mason chimes in with his Q&A:

Q: Why is Donovahn Jones not more involved in the offense? -- Dale, Plymouth, Minn.

A: To be honest, I'm not quite sure, but I think -- and expected -- that he should be a bigger piece of the offense. He was thrust into a starting role as a true freshman last year and showed some potential, catching 10 passes for 157 yards. He was also used plenty in the running game, carrying the ball 16 times for 73 yards. Through Minnesota's first five games of the 2014 season, Jones has been virtually non-existent. He had three catches each in the Gophers' games against Eastern Illinois and Middle Tennessee but hasn't caught a pass in the three games since. Minnesota has barely drawn up any running plays for Jones, either, as he has just two total carries for 13 yards.

Minnesota's rushing attack hasn't been a problem, as David Cobb has been a workhorse in the backfield. Still, I'd expect the Gophers to vary their running game a bit as the Big Ten season plays on by running more end arounds and jet sweeps to get the ball into the hands of guys like Jones. As for his lack of catches (or targets, for that matter), part of that can be chalked up to the fact that Minnesota's passing game has been inconsistent, if not poor. Even though Jones hasn't caught a ball in the last three games, he's still tied for the second-most catches on the team; only tight end Maxx Williams has more (10). As Minnesota looks to jump start its aerial attack, it would be wise to get Jones involved.

http://www.foxsports.com/north/story/tyler-mason-s-oct-1-gophers-mailbag-100114

Go Gophers!!

I think it comes down to the fact that the team hasn't seen success in the passing game (hopefully it's starting to open up after last Saturday) and the lack of utilizing the jet sweep up to now. He'll be in the mix I have a feeling as we begin to see the offense develop more.

Patience grasshopper, it will be revealed to you. Jones will see the ball in his hands when it needs to be.

Jones is the one guy who I thought would be a much bigger part of the offense. I realize we had a few games where the passing game wasn't, ahem, used much, but he seems pretty quiet.

Anyone see anything that would lend to him having a lesser role this year?

It isn't just Jones that has been invisible it is the entire WR group to this point. We have 44 completions on the year and it breaks down like this in terms of distribution:

WR: 18 catches for 236 yards
TE: 16 catches for 228 yards
RB/FB: 10 catches for 102 yards

Our entire WR corps combined does not even have enough production to crack the top 10 individual statistic leaders in the Big Ten.

Our entire WR corps combined does not even have enough production to crack the top 10 individual statistic leaders in the Big Ten.

Well, when you say it like THAT! :p

It is not like they haven't been throwing at him at all. He seems to get passes broken up that are thrown to him at least once or twice a game. Most of those seem to be poor throws by our QB's.

It is not like they haven't been throwing at him at all. He seems to get passes broken up that are thrown to him at least once or twice a game. Most of those seem to be poor throws by our QB's.

Sort of...

Jones has had a few passes broken up because he hasn't come back (on curls or comebacks) to the ball which allowed a DB to make a play.

Sort of... Jones has had a few passes broken up because he hasn't come back (on curls or comebacks) to the ball which allowed a DB to make a play.

I can agree with that. There has also been a few deep balls that have been under thrown to him as well.

It's been a combination of some poor throws and Jones lack of experience. I think he still has a chance to get better. He's only been playing the position for Just over a year. I don't think he is good at getting open and coming back to the ball. We have to face it that the TE's are a bigger part of this offense. Starting next season Wolitarsky and Jones will have plenty of competition to stay on the field. However, due to their run blocking experience I expect them to still be important to the team.

Jones isn't getting open with any consistency. There may be a bunch of reasons why, but that's why he hasn't caught more balls. The deep balls he has been well covered.

I've been waiting for some WR screens to him out of trips (perhaps trips bunch)……..THEN the eventual double pass out of the same look.

I thought we'd see that last year. Maybe we'll see the screens during this 3 game stretch and the double pass in the meat grinder of the last 4 games.

WR screens are something he should be getting a lot more with his running ability.

DJones is an elite athlete, IMO. Limegrover needs to figure out how to get the ball in his hands more. If he can't run great routes, then find other ways.

I think it's because Berkley has taken most of his roles. The times that we actually do run WR screens or jet sweeps it is almost always to Berkley.

Not to make an absurd comparison, but the Vikings are going through the same thing with Cordarelle Patterson. When you have a WR with a big body, great speed, and playmaking skills once the ball is in his hands the OC needs to find a way to get him the ball 3+ times a game. Zero touches is a waste of talent.

Not to make an absurd comparison, but the Vikings are going through the same thing with Cordarelle Patterson. When you have a WR with a big body, great speed, and playmaking skills once the ball is in his hands the OC needs to find a way to get him the ball 3+ times a game. Zero touches is a waste of talent.

Get the comparison from an athletic standpoint. The difference there is that Patterson is a true WR whereas Jones is a converted QB so it is a little tough to say if his issues are more related to still learning how to play the position vs. the OC or QB not getting him the ball.

Top Bottom