STrib: Cody Poock to get redshirt

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

Poock to get redshirt

Cody Poock, who was playing outside linebacker with the first-team defense before tearing the ACL in his right knee March 29, has been cleared to practice but won’t play this season, Kill confirmed.

Poock will get a medical redshirt and have three years of eligibility remaining.

He’ll be a candidate to start at middle linebacker, with Damien Wilson graduating this year.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/277840981.html

Go Gophers!!

Unfortunate injury but glad he gets a redshirt and is practicing with the team. Barring injury, he'll have three solid years and will add very quality depth.

Never wish any injury on anyone, but Jack Lynn has filled in very nicely in his place and I can't wait for the next THREE years with Cody teaming up with Jack and others.

I like the LB depth this year so this is a nice luxury to have. With Poock healthy, there won't be a drop-off next year with Wilson graduating.

I like the LB depth this year so this is a nice luxury to have. With Poock healthy, there won't be a drop-off next year with Wilson graduating.

Well I wouldn't say that. I haven't seen Poock play, although the coaches were high on him. I have seen Wilson play at a level I haven't seen in a long time at LB in MN. There will be a drop off, but that doesn't Poock isn't a worthy replacement and that he may not be as good his senior year.

Well I wouldn't say that. I haven't seen Poock play, although the coaches were high on him. I have seen Wilson play at a level I haven't seen in a long time at LB in MN. There will be a drop off, but that doesn't Poock isn't a worthy replacement and that he may not be as good his senior year.

Yeah, I get that. I'm just saying that the LB unit should remain strong going into next year IMO.

Going into the last two years, the linebacker position has been a concern and each year, they get better. I re-watched the Michigan game and was blown away by the linebacker play, especially when Michigan attempted to run outside, they were usually met 2-3 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

per Joe:

Poock to get redshirt

Cody Poock, who was playing outside linebacker with the first-team defense before tearing the ACL in his right knee March 29, has been cleared to practice but won’t play this season, Kill confirmed.

Poock will get a medical redshirt and have three years of eligibility remaining.

He’ll be a candidate to start at middle linebacker, with Damien Wilson graduating this year.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/277840981.html

Go Gophers!!

Not that it matters, but he doesn't need to take a medical RS (medical hardship waiver).

He has never taken a RS. He graduated HS in '13, he was at JuCo in '14, and he is here now. He would be a TRUE SO this season, but he is taking a RS. So he'll be a RS SO next season.

Going into the last two years, the linebacker position has been a concern and each year, they get better. I re-watched the Michigan game and was blown away by the linebacker play, especially when Michigan attempted to run outside, they were usually met 2-3 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

Our LB's seem to do a great job of staying in position on runs that go to the outside and not getting caught up in the traffic in the middle of the field. They also seem to read the stuff going to the edge very well.

Not that it matters, but he doesn't need to take a medical RS (medical hardship waiver).

He has never taken a RS. He graduated HS in '13, he was at JuCo in '14, and he is here now. He would be a TRUE SO this season, but he is taking a RS. So he'll be a RS SO next season.

It's better if it's a medical redshirt because should he get injured and miss another season in the future, the NCAA has shown that it generally gives an extra year to players who have missed two seasons due to injuries but not to players who took a standard redshirt and then later missed a season due to injury.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Poock was an OLB and the plan was to move Lynn to MLB after Wilson graduates.

Yep, that's what it seems. Lynn was backup MLB this year, then moved to OLB due to the Poock injury. I assume the plan is for Lynn to move back to MLB next year.

We have more great young LBs too. Our D should continue to improve. I expect Poock will be a big contributor.

This move makes a lot of sense with the way the current LB group is playing, no need to rush him back. Mike Sherels appears to be doing a heckuva job as LB coach!

Two years ago we lost two starters in Rallis and Cooper yet we all agree that LB play was much better than the previous year and we lost two starters from last years team in Manuel and Hill yet most agree that LB is even better than the previous year. We only lose one guy for next year instead of two plus before Poock's injury he was starting over Lynn and was suppose to be better. If Poock is as good or a little better than last spring plus Campbell and Lynn improve which I think will happen with Campbell's vast unfilled potential and Lynn's lack of experience currently I do think that that LB trio next year will be even better than this year's despite Wilson being one of the conference's leading tacklers.

Two years ago we lost two starters in Rallis and Cooper yet we all agree that LB play was much better than the previous year and we lost two starters from last years team in Manuel and Hill yet most agree that LB is even better than the previous year. We only lose one guy for next year instead of two plus before Poock's injury he was starting over Lynn and was suppose to be better. If Poock is as good or a little better than last spring plus Campbell and Lynn improve which I think will happen with Campbell's vast unfilled potential and Lynn's lack of experience currently I do think that that LB trio next year will be even better than this year's despite Wilson being one of the conference's leading tacklers.

This entire post is 2 sentences.

1Two years ago we lost two starters in Rallis and Cooper yet we all agree that LB play was much better than the previous year and we lost two starters from last years team in Manuel and Hill yet most agree that LB is even better than the previous year. 2We only lose one guy for next year instead of two plus before Poock's injury he was starting over Lynn and was suppose to be better. 3If Poock is as good or a little better than last spring plus Campbell and Lynn improve which I think will happen with Campbell's vast unfilled potential and Lynn's lack of experience currently I do think that that LB trio next year will be even better than this year's despite Wilson being one of the conference's leading tacklers.

This entire post is 2 sentences.

Nope

Top Bottom