Snapshots: Michigan Defense's Struggles With The Screen Pass Against Minnesota

Killjoy

Reaction score
By Zach Travis

The Gophers came out with a nice screen pass play a few times in the first half that burned Michigan a couple times. Let's look at what happened and how Michigan could have done better.

On Saturday Minnesota's offense rode a strong rushing performance to the first 300+ yard performance against Michigan this season. Although the surprising thing wasn't as much Minnesota's ground game, but the ways in which a team that had just won a game with a single complete pass the week before took advantage of a Michigan defense with misdirection.

One play in particular stuck out to me on Saturday, and it was something I wanted to look back at. That was Minnesota's use of the quick screen pass to David Cobb to gash Michigan a handful of times. There were three instances of the play being called in the first half, and all three would be important in the context of the drives they were in.

To read the complete article click on the link below.

http://www.maizenbrew.com/2014/10/1/6873659/michigan-defense-minnesota-screen-pass-2014

Boy, that's irony, given that SCum killed us with a variation of this play in 2003. Good analysis by the maize & blue folks. I may hate SCum, but I do have to respect how their fans know football

I thought Jake Ryan was supposed to be an All-American? Although in fairness, Mason didn't have anyone on D that could touch Perry in the 4th quarter. And SCum didn't get cute only running it once a drive. They were pretty much running the same play over and over and daring us to stop it.

The worm turns

Top Bottom