Gophers Vs. Kentucky 1997 Semifinals

Holf

Reaction score
I was poking around on YouTube after watching the previous Sam Jacobson dunk contest video which was posted. Found this, figured it deserved to be enshrined in a Gopher.hole thread.

Of course, this is an extremely bitter-sweet game to revisit for various reasons.. still.. what a thrill for the program and for Gopher fans despite the ensuing disparagement.

Can't help but to be excited for the program as it stands now, and hopeful that the glory days are right around the corner!

Good find. Would love to watch the Clemson game from that run... what a thrilla!

Harris and Jackson played such great on-the-ball defense. That's what I feel we just got in Kevin Dorsey.

Good find. Would love to watch the Clemson game from that run... what a thrilla!

I was at the Alamodome for that gut-wrenching classic, which is 3rd among the greatest games I've ever seen in person (behind Games 7 and 6, in that order, of the '91 World Series). Bobby wouldn't let them lose. In the semifinal they had a sloppy start and it seemed like they just couldn't catch up. The game almost felt anti-climactic, especially compared to the drama in San Antonio.

But how can there be a video of a game that never happened...

The other game that I had found on youtube was the Gopher v G Tech game. The near miss at the end by Kevin Lynch. I have quite a few games from the final four year on tape although not in good condition anymore. I have the whole UCLA game, a portion of the clemson game (I have the overtime) , the indiana game where they came back and won in overtime although I ran out of tape the last 40 seconds or so of regulation.

You can buy it on the NCAA's digital video store on Amazon. Not gonna try to look it up now, but I've posted the link on this site before.

I don't care what the ref called...that was not a charge.

I don't care what the ref called...that was not a charge.

Not only was the defender shuffling his feet, he was directly under the basket!!! Even before the half circle came into play in college, I thought refs were supposed to side with the offensive player if the defensive player was within a few feet of the rim, and especially directly under it! Such a momentum shift in the game, Kentucky was starting to look tired and out of sorts with our pressing and physicality.

All these years later, still gets my blood boiling :confused:

Through the years the game itself has become something of a blur. I was there and recall this feeling of dread during the latter part of the second half as it became clear we weren't going to pull out a comeback. I consider the 1996-97 Gophers season one of the best in my life as a sports fan, certainly now, but then as well. It hurt to see it all end. A friend of mine who was in the peace corps at the time also was a massive fan. In the dawn of the internet age when news still traveled slowly, he somehow heard what was going on and got to a phone a couple of days after we beat UCLA to call at an ungodly early hour to ask if it was really true that we'd made the Final Four.

A few things stood out apart from the action. Kentucky brought more fans than any other school, but Minnesota outnumbered North Carolina and Arizona combined it seemed. Kentucky fans were patronizing, entitled, and pretty ungracious winners. We stayed for the title game on Monday and rooted for Arizona whose fans were pretty laid back. Scalping was legal in Indianapolis at a time when it wasn't here and was far more out in the open than anything I've ever seen in the Twin Cities. Guys were in the Hoosier Dome openly seeking Monday tickets from dejected Gophers and Tar Heels fans, basically trying to wheel and deal in the closing moments of both semis with distraught fans of both schools. It was like trying to buy a deadman's watch from his son at the funeral. The Hoosier Dome was similar to the Metrodome but largely worse, if that's possible with only bleachers on the upper deck and lower deck seats that were narrow and uncomfortable while the concourses were dungeon like. It seemed at the time like the Final Four and that entire season were the beginning of big things, but turned out to be the calm before the storm. I truly enjoyed and appreciated them, but admit to wishing I'd savored it more considering what was just over the horizon.

Kentucky fans were patronizing, entitled, and pretty ungracious winners.

And UCLA fans were patronizing, entitled, and ungracious losers.

When we lost to Kentucky it felt like a golden opportunity slipping away...even though I dared not dream of the Gophers actually winning the NATIONAL TITLE, it was right there for the taking and we were the best team left in the tournament once Kansas lost. But it also felt like we were over the hump. Then El-Amin chose UConn, Charles Thomas got in trouble and transferred, and Courtney James got in trouble and transferred/left, so the next season suddenly was up in smoke before it started, and then we all know what happened after that.

First 8 possessions of the game yielded one shot! What a horrible start!

First 8 possessions of the game yielded one shot! What a horrible start!

The turnovers were a killer. Kentucky scouted us well. We were an outstanding interior passing team, and they took that away. They adjusted to what the Gophs were doing early against the press, and we didn't effectively counter-adjust. The Cats played very hard and inspired; they outplayed the Gophers. It was too bad, but we weren't the same physically or emotionally without Harris at full strength.

It was the physical big ten against the run and press SEC and Kentucky forced their style on us. I felt Clem should have gone smaller to attack the press and not played both Courtney and Thomas so much.

That was my first chance getting to watch that game being I was only 5 at the time. Thanks for posting that! That charge call was terrible and I even yelled at the screen even tho it was 17 years ago now ha.

I love watching the crowd on the replay at 55:55! I know it was probably just Minnesota's side, but it looked like almost the whole place was cheering for us

Top Bottom