Thought we paid for 20 home games, but no refund with 19?

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
My memory could be wrong, but I thought our season-ticket renewal information indicated we were paying for 20 home games (including the UMD exhibition) this season? The Gophers have 19 home games.

I received the following when I queried about a refund for the 20th game:

"The Gopher Men's Basketball Season Ticket packages are a set as a price for the entire season prior to the schedule being announced. Therefore, the number of games may slightly fluctuate from season to season, however the price is based upon a season instead of an individual game basis."

Pretty sure that's a policy change, waiting to hear back from the ticket office. In the past the season-ticket price was based on a certain number of games, and if they went under the expected number of home games (like they did this season) you could get a refund.

Am fine with this as long as the number of home games (including exhibition) stays pretty steady every season (18-19 being the norm). However, what I'd be concerned about is the season-ticket price steadily rising as the Gophers go to more neutral-site games (like Louisville this season) and, hence, less home games. That would be another slap in the face considering what season-ticket holders so rarely receive in November-December (quality opponents).

My memory could be wrong, but I thought our season-ticket renewal information indicated we were paying for 20 home games (including the UMD exhibition) this season? The Gophers have 19 home games.

"The Gopher Men's Basketball Season Ticket packages are a set as a price for the entire season prior to the schedule being announced. Therefore, the number of games may slightly fluctuate from season to season, however the price is based upon a season instead of an individual game basis."

Pretty sure that's a policy change, waiting to hear back from the ticket office. In the past the season-ticket price was based on a certain number of games, and if they went under the expected number of home games (like they did this season) you could get a refund.

Am fine with this as long as the number of home games (including exhibition) stays pretty steady every season (18-19 being the norm). However, what I'd be concerned about is the season-ticket price steadily rising as the Gophers go to more neutral-site games (like Louisville this season) and, hence, less home games. That would be another slap in the face considering what season-ticket holders so rarely receive in November-December (quality opponents).

A policy change for sure, but I do remember a few years ago, the ticket prices reflecting a season ticket "discount", i.e. the face of the tickets added up were less than the season ticket price. It was tossing us a bone who pay for games that normal people off the street would not. Not sure if that's the rationale for no refund with one less game or not, but it could be. In the past when the schedule did not reflect the number of games we paid for, they encouraged us to donate the refund.

I received the following when I queried about a refund for the 20th game

I thought you lived out of state and did not make it to any games...? I'm probably wrong, but I though that was posted once upon a time.

Personally I'm not concerned, but could see why it would bother some people.

I thought you lived out of state and did not make it to any games...? I'm probably wrong, but I though that was posted once upon a time.

Personally I'm not concerned, but could see why it would bother some people.

Nope, I live in state.

tix

I noticed on this year's football season tix, that there is no longer a price listed on the individual duckets. Might be related.

Your memory is correct and points are well taken. A couple years ago you checked in with the ticket office and posted the response on GH, IIRC. They said you would receive credit for the following season (paid for 20, only 19 "games" scheduled)... or could request a refund.

That was the first year (2 seasons ago, yes??) of the required annual fee for certain seats. When spreading the fee over the lesser number of game(s), it created quite a year over year increase...

BTW, I never received a refund or credit on my account that I can find... the U owes me again.

That is bizarre. You sell tickets, each ticket has a price, you don't bring a "season ticket" to the game, do you? You bring individual tickets that should have a set amount on each of them, not something that "may slightly fluctuate," the ticket ought to have a price on it. I'd say if your tickets don't add up to the price you paid for them, you would have good reason to follow-up on this issue again. But if they don't list prices, what can you do. I'd say not putting a price on a ticket is something that should be outlawed, you are selling the tickets to individual games, they should each have their own price.

Personally I find the practice of not putting a price on a ticket a very troubling development. With the greed of college athletic departments, chances are they will start trying to have no price on individual tickets and just cut down on the home games while charging the same amount (or more) for season tickets. Just another example of athletic departments trying to milk the loyal fans for all of the money they can. Surely they will sell individual tickets with an individual price to people who aren't season ticket holders. With the implication that there is a greater cost to season ticket holders than other fans, that sounds like an unfair way to discriminate against fans, penalizing people for being loyal and buying season tickets by not calculating it by the game when they have to do that for other folks who buy tickets to individual games.

Top Bottom