At 12:52am Michigan releases statement addressing Shane Morris incident

How about some personal accountability for Morris? If he had a concussion why didn't he take himself out or go down? He was shown waving off the sideline right before he was taken out, signaling to the staff that he was alright.

Personally, I think people are piling on Hoke. Did they do the right thing? No. Should he be fired for it? No.

Morris's parents must be really loyal to Michigan. Surprised nobody has gotten a quote out of them that I have seen. That would probably the final nail.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

How about some personal accountability for Morris? If he had a concussion why didn't he take himself out or go down? He was shown waving off the sideline right before he was taken out, signaling to the staff that he was alright.

Personally, I think people are piling on Hoke. Did they do the right thing? No. Should he be fired for it? No.
I was stunned like that in a HS game, I don't remember the next play, you think I could make a rational decision? It's on the Michigan staff period!

An Exercise in Failure

One of the most memorable statements from Brady Hoke's first press conference as head coach was his comment that he'd walk from San Diego to Ann Arbor to take the Michigan job. At this point, I don't think anyone would blame him if he wanted to turn around and walk back.

The details of the last four days have been made crystal clear by about every news source imaginable at this point, so there's no use in rehashing them. Michigan has been exposed in the last four days as an incompetent institution from the top on down. The athletic director and his department failed -- miserably. The head coach failed. The medical team failed initially, but recovered.

The circus that was a press conference started a chain of events that are already haunting the university and its image. Mothers, grandmothers and others who don't care about Michigan football know all about what's going on in Ann Arbor right now as CBS, ABC, NBC and even TIME Magazine have turned this situation into a true national news story. The idea that any publicity is good publicity has been challenged in this regard. Even when changes are made, parents of players and recruits will make the associations. The ball will keep rolling.

This is about more than Ohio State. It's about more than Michigan State. This is all about the culmination of a level of incompetence that has crept in at the most inopportune times. It's about product-related gimmicks to sell tickets. It's about an awful home schedule and a student section that continues to dwindle. It's about delay of game penalties after a timeout. It's about having ten men on the field for a punt return that subsequently changes the momentum in a pivotal game. Saturday's fiasco in the fourth quarter was the worst situation, and it was handled the worst, by far. These four days will end up being the face of all that.

Hoke clearly didn't have the right answers on Monday, and clearly wasn't prepared. It was a press conference straight out of the Roger Goodell textbook. The difference is that Goodell has nobody to answer to but himself. Hoke, instead, was thrown out to the lions with half a story, crappy, inaccurate information and nothing to fall back on by the man who hired him. In a way, it was ironically similar to the recent John Harbaugh press conference after the mishandling of the Ray Rice fiasco by Ravens ownership. In both situations, higher leadership cowardly stayed behind the scenes to allow a pair of good men to take the bullets for everyone involved.

Has virtue really fallen that far out of grasp? What is a "probable mild concussion"? When reliable Michigan writers know what's going on before things go public, it makes the results look that more silly. Waiting until 1 AM on a Tuesday to release a statement wasn't going to soften the blow. Instead, it further emboldened Michigan fans and writers, who have always been the types who want answers, regardless of what the results may be. With any level of clarity and honesty, everyone's questions would have been answered a while ago. Now, it's out of control, and time for another change as the people continue to want their Michigan back.

I was stunned like that in a HS game, I don't remember the next play, you think I could make a rational decision? It's on the Michigan staff period!

Agreed. When you get your bell rung, you are completely out of it. Personal experience.

Morris should have pulled well before the head hit, he was limping badly AND having a terrible day passing, fumbling, etc. Only a fool would have kept him in, much less sent him back after the head hit. Hoke should be fired.

. . . but it wasn't shown on the Jumbotron.

You might have missed it, but they were showing Morris on the Jumbotron when he fell into his lineman who had to hold him up. That's when everyone around me, Michigan and Minnesota fans alike, were yelling for Michigan to take him out of the game. It was sort of surreal to be one of about 85,000 people witnessing an event that called for someone (coach? official? player?) to do something and then see nothing done.

Screws being shaken loose would be a cause of the brain, hence a concussion. Unsure what you are getting at? But the pointed neuro exam you do rapid fire on the field might not tell you definitively that he has a concussion every single time, but it will rule him out from going back into the game as there are some symptoms you just can't hide.

I've seen guys who are reported to have concussions look dazed and glassy eyed. I know they have certain tests that help doctors conclude there is a concussion, but I'm not privy to them. I am not a doctor. Later, after he left the game, I saw Morris on the bench talking with a coach (I think) and he seemed alert and engaged. They have said "mild concussion," which I also don't understand the degree designation. My point was that he obviously got rocked, but I think I'd be groggy, too, if I took that blow to my chest/shoulder from a 6-6, 255-pound man.

He played one play. I think people have become a little hysterical. Michigan is a spoiled bratty fanbase and they simply have no patience. Lloyd Carr was a great coach for them and they didn't know how good they had it. They wanted the shiny toy. Rich rod is a great coach but they wouldn't accept anything less than instant success despite the total roster change required to shift styles from pro to spread. Then they wildly shift back to pro style and are mad at the lack of success with that move. They are like Brewster with offensive coordinators.

I also got a concussion in high school. Do not recall the play that it happened or or the next play. I am told that I then took a time out and took myself out of the game. I was also told by several teammates that they asked me if I was OK, and I said "yes." I was not OK and the next thing I remember is talking to a teammate on the sidelines. A player with a head injury should not be able to determine if they stay in a game. My parents tell me that the guy (who they did not know) next to them in the stands angrily said, "so this kid has got to take himself out of the game??!!" My coach reminds me of Hoke, clueless, feckless and not would never admit a mistake. There is a little part of me that says that in Hoke's insecurity he has created a culture where no one is allowed to question him. It seems that with a culture of open communication someone would have said, "Get him out of the game!" Apparently no one did, or no one that mattered did. Good bye Brady.

I am not a doctor, but what is a probable mild concussion?

Just watched it shown and discussed again on CBS EVENING NEWS.

It is a PC statememt that says "I don't know and I am not saying anything." So I need someone to cover my ass while someone is using me to cover his ass. And so it goes.

The thing that's so bizarre is that on thier 80 man roster they must have ad at least 1 or 2 other QB's who could have gone in for one snap. There was no reason to send an injured player back out there, even if it was only an ankle. In the NFL I could understand the dilemma (can't use 3rd QB before the 4th quarter) but this was senseless.

But it appears Michigan has only two helmets for all their QB's. Seriously, the third string guy (who at that point was the backup) couldn't find his helmet.

But it appears Michigan has only two helmets for all their QB's. Seriously, the third string guy (who at that point was the backup) couldn't find his helmet.

Somebody, get me a helmet, any helmet. Priceless.

the way we were taught concussion protocol is that concussions are given three grades based upon symptoms and loss of consciousness (LOC).

Grade I: No LOC, symptoms last less than 15 minutes
Grade II: No LOC, symptoms last greater than 15 minutes
Grade III: LOC

These are the American Academy of Neurology grades. My guess is he had a Grade I concussion and by the time they gave him the full battery of tests, his symptoms were gone or mostly abated which led them to not be able to definitely say "yes without a doubt he had a concussion." thus they go with he had a probable mild/Grade I concussion. That is just my guess and in knowing the guidelines we use, which may or may not be the same ones Michigan is using in his eval.

If you want to check out some of the sideline battery and longitudinal work that's going on now with players and if you're interested in concussions, we also spent a lot of time talking about Impact testing protocol for sideline and long term analysis for when a player should return based upon neurological testing. Feel free to check it out if you wish

Bellomy looked so astonished they were calling for him to go in. Reminds me of Friday Night Lights when Comer can't find his helmet so he can't play and then Boobie tears his knee up.

If Bellomy was the 3rd String QB, and the second team QB is in the game take off the head set and be ready, you are the next man up. Communication was a problem, I guess there is proof. And it would be interesting who called for Morris to get in there. Who was it, the OC Nuesmierer, or Brady, or maybe the QB coach.

the way we were taught concussion protocol is that concussions are given three grades based upon symptoms and loss of consciousness (LOC).

Grade I: No LOC, symptoms last less than 15 minutes
Grade II: No LOC, symptoms last greater than 15 minutes
Grade III: LOC

These are the American Academy of Neurology grades. My guess is he had a Grade I concussion and by the time they gave him the full battery of tests, his symptoms were gone or mostly abated which led them to not be able to definitely say "yes without a doubt he had a concussion." thus they go with he had a probable mild/Grade I concussion. That is just my guess and in knowing the guidelines we use, which may or may not be the same ones Michigan is using in his eval.

If you want to check out some of the sideline battery and longitudinal work that's going on now with players and if you're interested in concussions, we also spent a lot of time talking about Impact testing protocol for sideline and long term analysis for when a player should return based upon neurological testing. Feel free to check it out if you wish

Thank you.

Rather than couching it with probable mild concussion, why not simply say he sustained a Grade 1 Concussion. Why, because with all the medical staff, trainers, strength and conditioning, people on the sidelines are you telling me no one saw the hit? Didn't hear the call of ruffing the passer, didn't come on field when they were being waved on? Not one person thought even his waving them off looked a little awkward? Not one teammate stepped up and called time out. And I also have some disdain for the officials, they are closest to the action. Why didn't the referee take time, walk over to the Michigan Bench and say, Number 7 is in trouble he cannot continue.

The Medical Staff cowtowed to Coach Hoke. From them time he sprained his ankle in third quarter to the knock out in the 4th, not one person stepped in and stopped it. There was plenty of time to do it. Even when he staggered off the field into Hoke's arms, nothing. The crack medical staff as well as the trainers may have all the accolades in the world, but lack the courage to say Coach, he's not going back in the game. Shame on the entire staff.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/277681881.html

About 1,000 University of Michigan students have marched to the home of school President Mark Schlissel to protest against the performance of athletic director Dave Brandon and football coach Brady Hoke.

Tuesday evening's rally came shortly after Schlissel apologized for the way the team handled a head injury to quarterback Shane Morris during Saturday's 30-14 loss to visiting Minnesota.

The protest came as disappointments mount for the 2-3 Wolverine and focused on coaches' failure to keep Morris out of the game after his head injury. Brady says he was unaware that Morris hurt his head in a helmet collision.

The Michigan Daily reports that students called for the athletic director's removal with chants of "fire Brandon" and "down with Dave."

Can you say lynch mob? No question this should not have happened, but would all this grandstanding be going on if Michigan was 5-0 and the Michigan program was in great shape? Would Ed Cunningham be piling on? Would the students be calling for Brandon and Hoke's heads? Of course not. This unfortunate miscommunication by the Michigan coaching and medical staffs simply has given the lynch mob perfect fodder to bury Hoke, which is what they want.

Can you say lynch mob? No question this should not have happened, but would all this grandstanding be going on if Michigan was 5-0 and the Michigan program was in great shape? Would Ed Cunningham be piling on? Would the students be calling for Brandon and Hoke's heads? Of course not. This unfortunate miscommunication by the Michigan coaching and medical staffs simply has given the lynch mob perfect fodder to bury Hoke, which is what they want.

The mobs are everywhere. Winning clears the mob and losing accelerates its growth. The tandem is done and they are making the case for a reason other than losing.

You're right. If they were 5-0, or 4-1 Michigan fans would actually be buying that "unfortunate miscommunication" excuse rather than calling it B.S., which it surely is.

This is mostly true, but the announcers would have done that for any game and any quarterback. It is a clear and obvious storyline, especially with the current emphasis on safety.
That said, I fully agree that the majority of fans are outraged largely because they want Hoke gone. Where was the Michigan fan outrage several years when Hoke told a kicker, with a sexual assault in his background, to think of pretty brown haired girls before a big kick?

This is mostly true, but the announcers would have done that for any game and any quarterback. It is a clear and obvious storyline, especially with the current emphasis on safety.

Definitely a fair point, it's newsworthy, no doubt about it. I admit that part of the story for me is the color analyst, Ed Cunningham. I've heard enough of him over the years to know he's an arrogant (speaking of arrogance!) know-it-all who's way over the top with his analysis. Hoke, the medical staff, etc., deserve the criticism for not getting Morris off the field, and Cunningham correctly pointed that out, but did we really need a 5-minute diatribe from Diarrhea of the Mouth Cunningham? We get it, Ed, that was wrong, but he clearly saw the opening and ran with it. Hoke (and the Michigan program) is down & is an easy target, and Cunningham was going to do hist best to bury him. Not surprised at all. It's what a lot of the clowns at ESPN/ABC like to do best.

Trust me, I'm one of the last guys that would stick up for anything Michigan -- my dad's a MSU grad -- but I know a lynching when I see one. Bottom line is Hoke and his staff & UM's medical staff made a huge, huge gaffe, and they're going to pay for it with their jobs. The Michigan president and AD can now go all-out righteous on us and fire Hoke for something other than wins and losses (though we all know that'll be the real reason). That certainly wouldn't be the case if they were 5-0, and ditto Cunningham certainly wouldn't have gone on a 5-minute rant, either.

Definitely a fair point, no doubt about it. I admit that part of the story for me is the color analyst, Ed Cunningham. I've heard enough of him over the years to know he's an arrogant (speaking of arrogance!) know-it-all who's way over the top with his analysis. Hoke, the medical staff, etc., deserve the criticism for not getting Morris off the field, and Cunningham correctly pointed that out, but did we really need a 5-minute diatribe from Diarrhea of the Mouth Cunningham? We get it, Ed, that was wrong, but he clearly saw the opening and ran with it. Hoke (and the Michigan program) are down, and Cunningham was going to do hist best to bury Hoke. Not surprised at all. It's what a lot of the clowns at ESPN/ABC like to do best.

Trust me, I'm one of the last guys that would stick up for anything Michigan -- my dad's a MSU grad -- but I know a lynching when I see one. Bottom line is Hoke and his staff & UM's medical staff made a huge, huge gaffe, and they're going to pay for it with their jobs. That certainly wouldn't be the case if they were 5-0, and Cunningham certainly wouldn't have gone on a 5-minute rant, either.

The Big Ten seems to agree with you. They cut the rant out completely from the 60 minute version that's being shown on the BTN.

Top Bottom