At 12:52am Michigan releases statement addressing Shane Morris incident

The Big Ten seems to agree with you. They cut the rant out completely from the 60 minute version that's being shown on the BTN.

Has the BTN gone completely away from the 2-hour replays? I like the 2-hour ones better than the 1, but I haven't seen any of the 2-hour versions lately.

Has the BTN gone completely away from the 2-hour replays? I like the 2-hour ones better than the 1, but I haven't seen any of the 2-hour versions lately.

Haven't seen one this season either. You could check BTN.com, but haven't seen it listed there either. Can't remember how long the "full game" replays are allocated.

And I also have some disdain for the officials, they are closest to the action. Why didn't the referee take time, walk over to the Michigan Bench and say, Number 7 is in trouble he cannot continue.

I don't know what the protocol is for college officials. But, in MN HS football, the referees are specifically told that, if they see any player display possible symptoms of a concussion, that player has to leave the game and be evaluated. The player cannot return to the game unless he is cleared by a trainer or doctor. The MN State HS League has made a real emphasis of the concussion issue in recent years. I know that more schools are having all their athletes take the IMPACT test before the start of the school year. If an athlete is suspected to have a concussion, they re-take the test and the scores are compared. If their score does not match the pre-season results, they have to sit out until they can pass the test and show no physical symptoms for a 2-week period. I have to admit I'm astounded that a small rural MN HS seems to have better procedures in place than a D1 college program.

the way we were taught concussion protocol is that concussions are given three grades based upon symptoms and loss of consciousness (LOC).

Grade I: No LOC, symptoms last less than 15 minutes
Grade II: No LOC, symptoms last greater than 15 minutes
Grade III: LOC

These are the American Academy of Neurology grades. My guess is he had a Grade I concussion and by the time they gave him the full battery of tests, his symptoms were gone or mostly abated which led them to not be able to definitely say "yes without a doubt he had a concussion." thus they go with he had a probable mild/Grade I concussion. That is just my guess and in knowing the guidelines we use, which may or may not be the same ones Michigan is using in his eval.

If you want to check out some of the sideline battery and longitudinal work that's going on now with players and if you're interested in concussions, we also spent a lot of time talking about Impact testing protocol for sideline and long term analysis for when a player should return based upon neurological testing. Feel free to check it out if you wish

You may be right, but I thought they no longer classified concussions as there was no link between the 'grade' and the lasting impact. They didn't want 'grade 1' concussions to be "poo-pooed". I thought now you either have a concussion or you don't. I have heard this from a couple experts, but am not one myself so you could be right.

Bottom line is Hoke and his staff & UM's medical staff made a huge, huge gaffe, and they're going to pay for it with their jobs. The Michigan president and AD can now go all-out righteous on us and fire Hoke for something other than wins and losses (though we all know that'll be the real reason). That certainly wouldn't be the case if they were 5-0, and ditto Cunningham certainly wouldn't have gone on a 5-minute rant, either.

Exactly.

I've never met or talked to him, but Hoke sounds like an idiot every time he opens his mouth.

Exactly.

I've never met or talked to him, but Hoke sounds like an idiot every time he opens his mouth.

Been mentioned before, but a lot of us were disappointed when he didn't come here. Thank goodness!

You may be right, but I thought they no longer classified concussions as there was no link between the 'grade' and the lasting impact. They didn't want 'grade 1' concussions to be "poo-pooed". I thought now you either have a concussion or you don't. I have heard this from a couple experts, but am not one myself so you could be right.

This is just protocol grading and in no way determines the impact down the road. Just gives you classification using symptoms. You should use something like Impact testing to decide when a guy gets to come back IMO

Been mentioned before, but a lot of us were disappointed when he didn't come here. Thank goodness!
If I remember correctly, Maturi said that the job was never offer to Hoke at the Interview, I now believe him. The question now is, was it because of his Michigan coaching desire, or did he just come across as an idiot? The latter becomes more believable every day.

If I remember correctly, Maturi said that the job was never offer to Hoke at the Interview, I now believe him. The question now is, was it because of his Michigan coaching desire, or did he just come across as an idiot? The latter becomes more believable every day.

If there was a different AD in charge of the search I might be inclined to believe it was option 2 but we are talking about Maturi and that entire coaching search was a cluster from the get go. All the money they spent on the search to end up with Kill a guy they could have had on day one of the process if they had been so inclined.

If there was a different AD in charge of the search I might be inclined to believe it was option 2 but we are talking about Maturi and that entire coaching search was a cluster from the get go. All the money they spent on the search to end up with Kill a guy they could have had on day one of the process if they had been so inclined.

Maybe Hoke was such an idiot, that even Maturi saw it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The job was offered to Hoke. Hoke withdrew. Rumor has it he was unimpressed with Maturi and that had a lot to do with him losing interest. He was the hot name as well and likely knew Michigan was an option as well. I wanted him at the time. Something else I was wrong about - But I'm not wrong that he was offered the MN Job.

The job was offered to Hoke. Hoke withdrew. Rumor has it he was unimpressed with Maturi and that had a lot to do with him losing interest. He was the hot name as well and likely knew Michigan was an option as well. I wanted him at the time. Something else I was wrong about - But I'm not wrong that he was offered the MN Job.

Not all employees contribute in the same way.:rolleyes:

I don't know what the protocol is for college officials. But, in MN HS football, the referees are specifically told that, if they see any player display possible symptoms of a concussion, that player has to leave the game and be evaluated. The player cannot return to the game unless he is cleared by a trainer or doctor. The MN State HS League has made a real emphasis of the concussion issue in recent years. I know that more schools are having all their athletes take the IMPACT test before the start of the school year. If an athlete is suspected to have a concussion, they re-take the test and the scores are compared. If their score does not match the pre-season results, they have to sit out until they can pass the test and show no physical symptoms for a 2-week period. I have to admit I'm astounded that a small rural MN HS seems to have better procedures in place than a D1 college program.

Rewatching the game, when Morris get's hit he stays in for one more play throwing incomplete and walks to the side line unsnapping his helmet. He is met first by Nuesmierer who is wearing a headset, and then Hoke. Morris is seen on the sidelines taking to someone I would think is a trainer or doctor. He has his arm around him and they move toward the bench. But no one took his helmet. That is a failure of protocol. Be it the trainer/Doctor he failed. And then At the critical point when Robinson loses his helmet, it is clear in the replay when they scrambled and sent Morris back in the head linesman is saying to the bench "do you want a time out?" And then you see Hoke winding him arm as if to say let's go.

As outraged as I am about this, it would seem the students are more interested in sacking Brandon the AD. I find it interesting reporters are questioning when was the last time students wanted an AD Sacked.

Brewster may have fooled Maturi, but Hoke didn't.

I thought Hoke rejected us and waiting on bigger things like Michigan?

After Mason, the team needed a salesman and some enthusiasm, turned out Brewster was not the right salesman. FWIW, if Mason could have had his BTN/KFAN media personality while he was still coaching, he likely would have remained employed. He had turned pretty sour by the end of his tenure.

Rewatching the game, when Morris get's hit he stays in for one more play throwing incomplete and walks to the side line unsnapping his helmet. He is met first by Nuesmierer who is wearing a headset, and then Hoke. Morris is seen on the sidelines taking to someone I would think is a trainer or doctor. He has his arm around him and they move toward the bench. But no one took his helmet. That is a failure of protocol. Be it the trainer/Doctor he failed. And then At the critical point when Robinson loses his helmet, it is clear in the replay when they scrambled and sent Morris back in the head linesman is saying to the bench "do you want a time out?" And then you see Hoke winding him arm as if to say let's go.

As outraged as I am about this, it would seem the students are more interested in sacking Brandon the AD. I find it interesting reporters are questioning when was the last time students wanted an AD Sacked.

I didn't know Denard still had eligibility

Top Bottom