David Cobb up to #3

Jeshurun

King of the Too's
Reaction score
In rushing yardage nationally

Behind James Conner of Pitt and Abdullah

Wow, that is really impressive. He also has great hands for catching the ball. Those middle screens are a thing of beauty.

Do keep in mind that Cobb has played 5 games and many backs have only played 4. So will be interesting to see if he holds his spot after Saturday.

Do keep in mind that Cobb has played 5 games and many backs have only played 4. So will be interesting to see if he holds his spot after Saturday.

Rushing yards per game still puts him @ 8.

4 RBs in the Top Ten in rushing in the Country

Rushing yards per game still puts him @ 8.

Yep yards per game is more important then total yards at this point. On paper it would seem like the next 3 games should all offer Cobb a chance to put up some nice numbers heading into the meat of the schedule.

We all wondered how his numbers would look after playing a good run defense (Michigan). Wow! He's more elusive than I thought!

Let's not find ways to diminish Cobb's running prowess. He alone forces opponents to key on stopping him, which makes games like Saturday at Bitchigan possible.

Let's not find ways to diminish Cobb's running prowess. He alone forces opponents to key on stopping him, which makes games like Saturday at Bitchigan possible.

Michigan didn't plan for the screen passes. Those were our biggest plays. Everyone joked about not opening up the playbook in noncon games. Do we have any other plays? It turns out that we do.

Michigan didn't plan for the screen passes. Those were our biggest plays. Everyone joked about not opening up the playbook in noncon games. Do we have any other plays? It turns out that we do.

They must have watched film on us...

Mentioned in another thread how Cobb seems to be the only one of our backs that is having a great deal of success. All of the others have struggled to find consistent production all be it in limited carries due in part to how well Cobb has done. They are all running behind the same line but Cobb is the only one that seems to be finding all the holes and cut back lanes. He is off to a fantastic start, hopefully he can keep on piling up the yards as the season wears on.

Mentioned in another thread how Cobb seems to be the only one of our backs that is having a great deal of success. All of the others have struggled to find consistent production all be it in limited carries due in part to how well Cobb has done. They are all running behind the same line but Cobb is the only one that seems to be finding all the holes and cut back lanes. He is off to a fantastic start, hopefully he can keep on piling up the yards as the season wears on.

Difficult to get feel for the game during practice...I am confident that if another back got 20 carries a game they would start to find holes. But no reason to find out as long as Cobb is running so well.

Difficult to get feel for the game during practice...I am confident that if another back got 20 carries a game they would start to find holes. But no reason to find out as long as Cobb is running so well.

While I agree it is possible that one of the other backs could put up decent numbers if given enough touches I am not sold on the fact that they could equal what Cobb has done. Cobb proved last year that he was the best back on the team and has seemingly taken another step in his development this year and gone to an even higher level. Given the same number of carries I don't know that Williams, Kirkwood, or Edwards could produce the same kind of numbers that Cobb has.

While I agree it is possible that one of the other backs could put up decent numbers if given enough touches I am not sold on the fact that they could equal what Cobb has done. Cobb proved last year that he was the best back on the team and has seemingly taken another step in his development this year and gone to an even higher level. Given the same number of carries I don't know that Williams, Kirkwood, or Edwards could produce the same kind of numbers that Cobb has.

But Edwards is still a pup. Give him time.

I guess we'll find out next year...

But Edwards is still a pup. Give him time.

Agree that Edwards is still young so tough to say how he will develop over time. That being said I really don't see him as an everydown back in the Big Ten. He strikes me as more of change of pace, 3rd down back type that you limit his touches in the hopes that he can use his speed to break one. But again too early to tell what kind of player he will end up being when it is all said and done. Heck it wouldn't shock me to see him end up at WR at some point as well.

ESPN has him listed with 3-4 others guys as the best stable of runners in the Big Ten since 2002.

Austin Ward: While the rest of the nation seems intent on installing the spread and airing the football out, there's really no reason for the Big Ten to stray from its traditional reliance on running backs to carry the load this season because it is absolutely loaded at that position from top to bottom, with Ameer Abdullah, Melvin Gordon and David Cobb. It's not just those three tailbacks that make for such an impressive stable, because that doesn't include Indiana's Tevin Coleman or Michigan State's Jeremy Langford, just for starters. As for some historical perspective, I think it's probably the best group at the top since 2002 when Larry Johnson led the league in yardage at Penn State with Wisconsin's Anthony Davis behind him and Maurice Clarett making his splash at Ohio State. But even then, I don't think there was nearly as much depth in the league at tailback as there is now.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten

ESPN has him listed with 3-4 others guys as the best stable of runners in the Big Ten since 2002.

Austin Ward: While the rest of the nation seems intent on installing the spread and airing the football out, there's really no reason for the Big Ten to stray from its traditional reliance on running backs to carry the load this season because it is absolutely loaded at that position from top to bottom, with Ameer Abdullah, Melvin Gordon and David Cobb. It's not just those three tailbacks that make for such an impressive stable, because that doesn't include Indiana's Tevin Coleman or Michigan State's Jeremy Langford, just for starters. As for some historical perspective, I think it's probably the best group at the top since 2002 when Larry Johnson led the league in yardage at Penn State with Wisconsin's Anthony Davis behind him and Maurice Clarett making his splash at Ohio State. But even then, I don't think there was nearly as much depth in the league at tailback as there is now.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten

Austin Ward also happens to be one of the Big Ten bloggers who picked the Gophers to win this past weekend. Seems to be higher on the Gophers than the other pundits.

Don't forget that Cobb is probably one of the few that are going up against 8 or 9 in the box because no one respects our passing game. His stats might be even better if we had an ounce of a passing game. I think Abdullah and Gordon are better college players, but I think Cobb might be the better pro. At least as a RB.

Cobb getting some major love from the BTN Live crew tonight. Paraphrasing, he has the power, speed, vision, and pass-catching ability to make big plays not only for this year but as a professional despite not being a 4.4 guy. First time I've seen his next-level potential mentioned in the mainstream media.

I'm sure Cobb has goals of setting the gopher single season rushing record as well as a paycheck next year. If he can stay healthy he has a great shot at both IMO.

Leidner, in a weird interview, said David Cobb is the most confident man on the team.

David Cobb is an incredible back for us. They usually do take a few years to develop. Just think if Bjorklund had been blocking for him all year (we are getting close to where we just reload the OL each year). Look forward to adding Jeff Jones to the mix next year.

Don't forget that Cobb is probably one of the few that are going up against 8 or 9 in the box because no one respects our passing game. His stats might be even better if we had an ounce of a passing game. I think Abdullah and Gordon are better college players, but I think Cobb might be the better pro. At least as a RB.

Didn't see the Little Brown Jug game huh? :)

The importance of yards after contact cannot be overstated. He wiggles and turns for extra yards and mostly seems to get the absolute max out of every run. He is stronger and more powerful than one would expect, and often makes tacklers miss, which is not as easy as he makes it look.

It will be interesting to see which of these backs are going to step to the plate next year: JJ, Josh Parks, Berkley, Rodrick, Rodney Smith, Shannon Brooks, Jonathan Femi-Cole, James Johannesson.

It is not always easy to figure out who will be a home run, a bust, or a late bloomer. One thing is certain - JK & Co. will cook up a good running game for next year.

Hard work, determination, and sheer will power got Cobb to where he is at - a trademark of Jerry Kill.

The UoM may be becoming another running back U for those kids with an eye towards the pro. If Cobb keeps it up, he will be playing on Sundays which is good for recruiting.

Overall, this is the place to go if you want good coaching and character building.

I'll repost it here, since it was taken down for some mysterious reason:

I think David Cobb should be given Heisman consideration. The guy is carrying the load for Minnesota offensively. He is putting up most valuable player numbers game after game. I would not think it impossible to reach 2000 yards. He is going to smash his numbers from last year.

I'll repost it here, since it was taken down for some mysterious reason:

I think David Cobb should be given Heisman consideration. The guy is carrying the load for Minnesota offensively. He is putting up most valuable player numbers game after game. I would not think it impossible to reach 2000 yards. He is going to smash his numbers from last year.

David Cobb is a great player. If the Gophers are relevant nationally, and if he stays healthy, then Cobb will receive a few votes. Regardless, the Doak Walker is certainly in play for him.

From ESPN's Morning Links:

3. David Cobb's importance cannot be understated. The Minnesota running back has accounted for slightly more than 47 percent of the Gophers' offense. Not just rushing offense, mind you -- entire offense. That means he's a bigger part of the offense than Ameer Abdullah at Nebraska, Melvin Gordon at Wisconsin and Tevin Coleman at Indiana. Cobb has 722 rushing yards (5.8 ypc) and four TDs so far this season. He's worth watching.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/108258/big-ten-morning-links-38

Top Bottom