Kill? Hoke?

Is the Michigan AD(Dave Brandon) going away? He is a close personal friend of this guy:

"Ross is a major benefactor of his alma mater, the University of Michigan; with lifetime contributions of $313 million to the university, he is the largest donor in university history.[2][4] According to the Chronicle of Philanthropy, Ross's higher education gifts rank behind only billionaire New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg, whose recent $350 million contribution[4] to Johns Hopkins University increased his lifetime total to $1.1 billion.[5] The University of Michigan renamed its business school, the Ross School of Business, in Ross's honor in 2004, after Ross made a $100 million gift to fund a new business-school building.[6][7] In September 2013, Ross donated $200 million to the University ($100 million to the Business School and $100 million to Michigan athletics), the largest single gift in the history of the university; the University of Michigan announced plans to rename the university's athletics campus in his honor.[4] Ross also gave $5 million to the athletic department's academic center and $1 million to endow a professorship in real estate at the Ross School of Business.[4]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_M._Ross#cite_note-Jesse-4

I read on another site that Hoke turned down the Minnesota job because someone of his stature would not go to Minnesota. Interesting. Morris shouldn't have gone back into the game but he did because Gardner had to come out because of a rule meant to prevent concussions and the back up couldn't go in because he had the wrong helmet. I imagine many on the Michigan sideline had given up and stopped paying attention.

My greatest fear: "Get in there kid!"

Me: "Where's my helmet!"

I read on another site that Hoke turned down the Minnesota job because someone of his stature would not go to Minnesota. Interesting. Morris shouldn't have gone back into the game but he did because Gardner had to come out because of a rule meant to prevent concussions and the back up couldn't go in because he had the wrong helmet. I imagine many on the Michigan sideline had given up and stopped paying attention.

May be, but I think it was more Hoke leaked the Minnesota courtship (beyond Maturi's and Mona's clumsy handling of the situation) to leverage an offer from Michigan. Hoke was generally considered the "guy most likely" to move up to a major school by most of the sporting press and college coaching fraternity, so it's not like this guy got to Michigan and forgot everything he knew about football.

I would have had no problem with the U hiring Hoke had he accepted an offer. In retrospect, it has worked out very well for us. I don't think stature had much to do with Hoke's decision. I think the program was in such a deep mess that every candidates' eyes were open to the situation. And don't forget Maturi was slated to be shown the door (regardless of what Joel may have thought). So, (1) program in tough shape, (2) probable new AD, and (3) relatively new college president. Probably not the ideal situation for a coach who is pretty sure he is going to get other big time offers if he turns this offer down.

The scUM fans are hiding behind the morris injury. Its all about Hokes record if scUM had a winning record there would hardly be any outrage, certainly there wouldn't be any protest on campus and that's what truly makes them scum in my opinions using a kid for a self fulfilling prophecy. Don't get me wrong the coaching staff really screwed up but its comical that these scUM folks want Hoke fired over that and not because of his record.

I have a theory after my incredible day Saturday, which included some conversations and observations. It's possible Hoke would have thrived at Minnesota. Michigan is more concerned with fluff than substance, which is contrary to Hoke's style. They are more concerned with where their recruiting class ranks according to people who don't matter and he may have erred in succumbing to certain pressures. Killer, meanwhile, beleives in his system and is overcoming the challenges of the difference in recruits' attitudes about the status of the two programs.

I think Hoke is a good man, a good coach, but the Michigan fan base, administration, boosters, etc. are only concerned with the bottom line and they have their priorities confused.

It's on the training staff -- not the coaches -- that Morris played when he shouldn't have been cleared.

Not a bad theory - as a sidenote, Rich Rodriguez was hired by Michigan out of an outstanding career at WVU. Rich Rodriguez is now thriving again since he left Michigan.

Top Bottom