A Small Gripe About the, "Yea, but..." Crowd

stevedave23

Reaction score
It happened after the Nebraska win last year and it's happening again after yesterday. We're hearing from the group of people who respond to any positive gopher happening with, "Yea, but Michigan is terrible this year" or, "Yea, but Nebraska is down this year" or, "Yea, but Iowa isn't very good this year"

I think every level headed gopher fan knows Michigan is having major problems right now and no, they are not as good, "as usual." But so what? Should the gopher football team hold a press conference and apologize for pounding a team that wasn't as good as they usually are? It's quite apparent that for some people anything short of back to back to back National Championship wins isn't anything to get excited about.

I'll leave you with this:

• The Gophers won in Ann Arbor, 100k+ opposing fans
  • The gophers didn't win by a field goal in triple overtime, they destroyed them
  • I read someone post yesterday Michigan has 20 (TWENTY!!!) four and five start recruits on their roster. I would guess the gophers have 2 or 3?

/end rant

@FrothyGopher: Recruiting is important. But it's worth noting that Hoke has had almost 40 4- and 5-star recruits since 2011. We've had one.

Those kind of folks will always find something to complain about. Tune 'em out. Beating Michigan hasn't happened often, so there's no need to put any kind of a qualifier on it. Savor it.

As far as the Nebraska win last year, I believe the 'Huskers were one of only two Big Ten teams to win their bowl game last year. Nebraska fans may not be real thrilled with 9-4 seasons, but it's not like they sucked last season.

It happened after the Nebraska win last year and it's happening again after yesterday. We're hearing from the group of people who respond to any positive gopher happening with, "Yea, but Michigan is terrible this year" or, "Yea, but Nebraska is down this year" or, "Yea, but Iowa isn't very good this year"

I think every level headed gopher fan knows Michigan is having major problems right now and no, they are not as good, "as usual." But so what? Should the gopher football team hold a press conference and apologize for pounding a team that wasn't as good as they usually are? It's quite apparent that for some people anything short of back to back to back National Championship wins isn't anything to get excited about.

• The gophers didn't win by a field goal in triple overtime, they destroyed them
  • I read someone post yesterday Michigan has 20 (TWENTY!!!) four and five start recruits on their roster. I would guess the gophers have 2 or 3?

/end rant

I don't see anyone saying it wasn't a great win. Any win over Michigan is a great win. The only thing I hear people holding back on is calling it a program changing or defining win mostly because this was not a good Michigan team (not only because we beat them, but because they were shut out by Notre Dame and lost at home to Utah).

I am sure I fall into the class you are talking about. I am thrilled with the win yesterday and love the fact that the Gophers played very well in all 3 phases of the game in order to dominate the game and not just squeak out a victory. As great as this win was though it doesn't equal up to some of the great wins from the past 20 years like 1999 Penn State, 2000 OSU or even 2005 Michigan because this was clearly a very flawed Michigan team.

And again before anyone gets up in arms (because I am not shouting were back from every window in my house) it was a great win yesterday and it was awesome to watch the Gophers go into Ann Arbor and keep 6 kinds of dog crap out of the Wolverines.

Agree with all of this. Michigan has had down years before and we weren't able to do this to them. Enjoy the victory!

I heard the announcer or reporter saying this was one of the most important wins in the Gopher program history. I thought that deserved a .....Yeah but---------Minnesota has 7 national titles.

As far as star gazing is concerned, Kill and Patterson don't put too much stock into it. They both recruit to their system and rely heavily on personal evaluation. And fine, if they are lucky they get commits who fit the bill who happened to have high stars.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love for our Gophers to get elite talent like Michigan and that day will come.

@FrothyGopher: Recruiting is important. But it's worth noting that Hoke has had almost 40 4- and 5-star recruits since 2011. We've had one.

This. Michigan is not "down". Michigan has a bad HC. Kill out-coached Hoke by a wide margin. That is what the game is about.

As far as star gazing is concerned, Kill and Patterson don't put too much stock into it. They both recruit to their system and rely heavily on personal evaluation. And fine, if they are lucky they get commits who fit the bill who happened to have high stars.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love for our Gophers to get elite talent like Michigan and that day will come.

Almost all coaches use their own evaluation, recruit players that fit their system and hardly ever look at recruiting services. Its not just a Jerry Kill or a Garry Patterson thing.

I think I read too much Gopherhole. During this game, with its domination of all three phases, a line I read way too many times over the last several weeks kept coming back to me:

"That won't be good enough once the Big Ten season starts."

I think I read too much Gopherhole. During this game, with its domination of all three phases, a line I read way too many times over the last several weeks kept coming back to me:

Reading Jerry Kill's quote again huh? :)

There's always one, or in our case a dozen.

<iframe width="512" height="288" src="http://www.hulu.com/embed.html?eid=ots_hph5c6luhcfwyxv9aw" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's my two cents.......Good Win yesterday in convincing fashion.

/end rant

One never reads too much Gopherhole.

/end rant

Regarding the people to whom you are referring, this has nothing to do with the team on the field.

It's about Kill/Limegrover/Claeys and certain "fans'" need to be RIGHT. There are fans who were never in favor of the Kill hire, were vocal against it, and some of them have a deep unrelenting need to be RIGHT. For some, it kills them (pardon the pun) to see Kill and this staff succeed. They would rather be RIGHT about Kill being the wrong guy for this job than they actually want to see the team do well.

Make no mistake, every single "fan" that downplays any success of the current regime/program is absolutely 100% in the group of people who were not in favor of the Kill hire.

I don't know if/when Kill will take this program to the Rose Bowl but this is as close to a program foundation and PLAN, in all three phases, as there ever has been as long as I've been watching.

We are better than they are and it showed. It is a great win because in the past, bad Michigan teams beat us even here at home. "Yea but" is stupid to say. The experts had us at 12 point dogs because of our history in these games. We are not done beating helmet schools this year...Iowa is not one of those anymore so......

Some people are being dickish. Some people are just trolls. Some people have the Scandahovian attitude of "you never have the RIGHT to be happy". A handful are "Phil Nelson" should be the QB people. Others are long time Gopher fans who are just convinced that the sky will be falling in the near future. One guy loves the Coach, and hates all the players who fail him.

On the other side are the people who insist that any criticism of Kill and Company is heresy and twist themselves into knots if everybody doesn't share their views. Oh, they then ignore the same criticism when it comes from Kill and Company themselves. Those people never ever consider saying that "Yeah, we were wrong".

Hell, it's the internet and a free board to boot. That said, the Mods do a pretty good job of keeping most of the stuff out and as Stan said, it's pretty rational around here.

We've got two weeks to enjoy getting the Little Brown Jug back. Gonna enjoy it because while there won't be any additional win this Saturday, they ain't losing either.

We've got two weeks to enjoy getting the Little Brown Jug back. Gonna enjoy it because while there wot be any additional win this Saturday, they ain't losing either.

Yeah but,........I think we can enjoy it for at least a year!:)

This bye week is important for several reasons...

1. Gives the kids a chance to come down from cloud 9.
2. Gives the owies chances to heal.
3. Gives the Coaching Staff time to disect game film, in order to correct errors and grow strengths.
4. Gives us fans a chance to drink beer and not have a reason for it.
5. Gives tinyarch time to find new biblical quotes to prepare his next sermon.
6. Gives GW time to change any and all predictions (2% chance of that happening)
7. Gives wren a chance to learn how to paraphrase his lengthy diatribes about HIS Gophers.
8. Gives GopherLady time to recover from all of her road trips to away games.
9. Gives Rebecca Kill some time to get reacquainted with Coach Jerry.
10. Gives me a chance to restock my fridge with beer.

Not if they lose to Northwestern.

But as I was saying... :eek:

The Jug will remain in MN for at least until next years game. If we were to win next year it could stay longer, as I believe Mich comes off our schedule for awhile.

This bye week is important for several reasons...

1. Gives the kids a chance to come down from cloud 9.
2. Gives the owies chances to heal.
3. Gives the Coaching Staff time to disect game film, in order to correct errors and grow strengths.
4. Gives us fans a chance to drink beer and not have a reason for it.
5. Gives tinyarch time to find new biblical quotes to prepare his next sermon.
6. Gives GW time to change any and all predictions (2% chance of that happening)
7. Gives wren a chance to learn how to paraphrase his lengthy diatribes about HIS Gophers.
8. Gives GopherLady time to recover from all of her road trips to away games.
9. Gives Rebecca Kill some time to get reacquainted with Coach Jerry.
10. Gives me a chance to restock my fridge with beer.

Is "owies" a clinical term?

Scoreboard, man! No excuses in big boy football.

Imagine if Kill got a hold of that type of talent! Defensively speaking they are churning out NFL caliber talent. Last year Brock and Rashede. Going forward Murray was a 2* and a lock to get drafted, Wilson was a unheralded 3 * JC not sure he had any other big time offers looks like he will play in the league, Myrick looks to have a good shot as well.

The best part of this win is the timing, coming at the very beginning of the Big Ten season. Very, very feasible to go 4-0 now. Although Northwestern's performance last Saturday has made me reevaluate that game from a almost-sure win to a decent test.

Top Bottom