Kansas Has Fired Head Coach Charlie Weis

I talked to a guy recently who covered SIU football for the student newspaper. He said if Jerry Kill leaves it will be for a better situation which means a big time school like Texas or LSU.
RE: Kill leaving for another job. More than what he's said about MN being is last job, I think he's loyal to MN because of how he's been treated here relating to his health. MN took a chance on him when it sounds like his health may have raised some flags for other schools. The admin stood adamantly behind him throughout his epilepsy episodes when others were calling for him to step down. And the fans (and non-fans) of the Gophers have absolutely embraced him. He's made a huge impact in the community. That'd be a lot to turn away from, even or a helmet school. I feel we have a unique relationship with our coach, and some things are more important than "moving up". That's my hope at least...

Bohl listed as a name to keep an eye on:

Keep an eye on these names:

Clint Bowen (interim head coach)

Ed Warriner, Tim Beck, David Beaty (all former assistants)

Jim Leavitt (current linebackers coach with the 49ers)

Craig Bohl (current Wyoming head coach)

Ed Orgeron (former USC head coach)

Josh Heupel (Oklahoma co-offensive coordinator / quarterbacks)

Willie Fritz (a Kansas native now serving as the head coach at Georgia Southern)

http://coachingsearch.247sports.com/Article/Kansas-coaching-search-update-31668269

Go Gophers!!

Gotta think Fritz would potentially be the leader from local ties and recruiting base. Ties to Kansas and Georgia.

Dienhart chimes in:

With Charlie “Schematic Advantage” Weis and his fat playbook out at Kansas, we already are seeing the names of some top Big Ten assistants get mentioned for the post. Nebraska offensive coordinator Tim Beck and Ohio State co-offensive coordinator Ed Warinner are the Big Ten assistants mentioned most often. Ohio State offensive coordinator Tom Herman also has been floated as a possible target. I also think Minnesota defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys should be on KU’s radar. He’s a native Kansan and graduate of Kansas State. Claeys has put together some good Golden Gopher defenses without blue-chip talent. The guy can flat-out coach, showing so when he stepped in as acting head coach for Jerry Kill last season and went 4-3 during a trying time.

http://btn.com/2014/10/02/4th-long-dienharts-week-6-bold-big-ten-predictions-observations/

Go Gophers!!

Although I'd be happy for Claeys if that is what he wants, it would be a huge loss for our program. I'm hoping he sticks with Kill and takes over for him when Kill retires after winning us a couple of national championships.

Gotta think Fritz would potentially be the leader from local ties and recruiting base. Ties to Kansas and Georgia.
Yeah, Fritz would be a solid hire.

This is an interesting rumor, Jim Harbaugh to Kansas?

Yes, Harbaugh might leave for KU if he gets 1 Billion dollars per year, a personal assistant to follow him around to wipe his behind and if he gets a throne and scepter. Otherwise this rumor can be considered a tactic by Harbaugh's agent to negotiate better terms for Jimmy.

Oh, by the way, there is a rumor that I might be hired to coach the Gophers if I am interested in coming out of retirement and they pay me 5 million per year!!

Neither rumor is likely to come to pass

It would be classic if he turned down a Michigan offer to take the job at Kansas. I might laugh for a year if that happened.

It would be classic if he turned down a Michigan offer to take the job at Kansas. I might laugh for a year if that happened.

Ultimate nads shot to the Michigan fanbase.

I was at a conference for work last week, and spent quite a bit of time hanging out with a big KU fan. He has full season basketball tickets, despite living three hours away from the campus. He said that the football program is a total afterthought - nobody cares and he doesn't see it changing much. It's a basketball culture there, and it's going to be extremely difficult to turn that program around.

Kill's health issues are a good point. He clearly has excellent doctors here, and I would imagine that would have a lot to do with him staying.

Top Bottom