Kansas Has Fired Head Coach Charlie Weis

KillCo to Michigan probably makes just as much sense. Ha!

My two cents and I know nothing; but Kill is not going to KU. I go back to his opening press conference that this is his last job; but he also spoke about the stadium and the commitment from the university to winning. With the imminent ground breaking of the practice facility, he would not leave.

Personally, I believe Kansas will not go after another retread like an Orgeron, but a could see guys like Craig Bohl or Jim Leavitt going to Kansas. Both coaches know the area and have recruited it. They have to be aggressive in recruiting the JUCO market in the Jayhawk and California conferences.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Pretty much the only job I fear us losing Kill to is Kansas State...not saying he'd go, but I think he'd be tempted. Kansas is a HUGE step down (like others have noted). Claeys, though, is another situation. I'm not sure if Kansas would be interested (or Claeys, for that matter) but if our defense continues on this run, he will be a candidate for HC jobs. I would hate to see him go, but the staff's continuity would lessen the blow and I bet our defense would proceed without a hitch.

It's a lot harder to build a culture than sustain one, Kill would be nuts to put himself through the program building wringer again. He stays at Minnesota.

I think Clayes would be interested but he doesn't have nearly enough on his resume for any BCS conference team to want him yet. Would have to have a couple years with the gophers fielding a perennial top three D in the Big Ten to become a legitimate candidate for a job like that. I also think Kill's epileptic history would scare quite a few schools away from wanting him.

It's a lot harder to build a culture than sustain one, Kill would be nuts to put himself through the program building wringer again. He stays at Minnesota.

ou might be right, but I'm not sure that either is easy or easier. It depends on an individuals talents and ability to adapt. Kill's history is rebuilding programs. He has proven he can do that. Hopefully, he rebuilds the University of Minnesota to a power and he stays and proves he can sustain excellence. But that will take different talents and he hasn't ever done it before. I'm guessing he never looked at it as a "program building wringer". He looked at it as a challenge. To Jerry Kill, IT IS FUN! to turn a program around! In the past when he proved he could turn it around, he left to get that "high" again. He's older now. He has reached a very high level. He said this was his last stop. One would like to think he'll stay. Time will tell.

Personally, I believe Kansas will not go after another retread like an Orgeron, but a could see guys like Craig Bohl or Jim Leavitt going to Kansas. Both coaches know the area and have recruited it. They have to be aggressive in recruiting the JUCO market in the Jayhawk and California conferences.

Zero chance Bohl goes to Kansas.

Kansas football is an afterthought. 2008 Insight Bowl win over us aside, it would be a huge step down from a head coaching standpoint. I don't think there's any concern that Kill would leave for that job. I've been to KU football games, and they're miserable aside from the tailgating. It's a basketball school first and foremost, and honestly competes heavily with schools in very close proximity that have more to offer their D1 football athletes. Claeys would be silly not to at least speak with them about a HC position if they come calling - the more interesting question is whether or not he would try to bring any of the other assistants with him, and where he would find his staff?

With the Big 5 looking to separate from the rest of the NCAA, any job in the big five is good. Teams tend to desire the opposite in a coach which is defense and Claeys makes sense for them to research. Would suck to see anyone from the staff leave.

Zero chance Kill goes to KU. Not even worth discussing.
Greater than zero chance Claeys goes to KU. I'd be really surprised if he doesn't get a look. He had offer(s) last offseason and is only getting more respect nationally. KU isn't a typical "Power 5" job, it isn't much more prestigious than a good MAC program.

Sent from my MZ617 using Tapatalk

With the Big 5 looking to separate from the rest of the NCAA, any job in the big five is good.

Jayhawks football could easily end-up on the outside looking in as realignment continues.

Jayhawks football could easily end-up on the outside looking in as realignment continues.

I doubt they would based on strength of basketball. I think the two are related and that will save them. I still expect the Big 5 conferences to become the Big 4 and they will contain 64 or 65 teams. Of course with all the changes coming (paying athletes more than they have been) it probably is best to wait and see if a few teams voluntarily drop down or out.

There's a better chance of Glen Mason being the next Kansas coach than Kill. And it might not be the worst idea for them, if he'd take it. He and Bill Snyder can just pretend it's still 1995.

There's always Tim Brewster.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

I agree. Way too big of a jump up for such a small time resume.

Why do you say that? Didn't Tressel have a similar resume when OSU hired him, having built a 1-AA empire at Youngstown?

Man, I think Bohl to Kansas would be great for both parties.

Wasn't there talk of Brewster going there when Mangino resigned?

Yeah, that was one of favorite moments of reporting. Doogie used a report from Kansas to mock the fact that the Jayhawks would be interested in Brewster. Sounded about right. It was only after a few questions that Doogie admitted that yeah, it was true that the same report said that Brewster was a finalist for the job.

Still think that Doogie was under a little pressure to give the people what they wanted to hear and ignore the truth.

Why wouldn't coach Claeys be interested in the head coaching job at Kansas, he is a Kansas native and cut his teeth coaching there first at Pittsburgh State. He has a lot of loyalty to coach Kill and all but and is very apreciative of the opportunities that coach Kill has given him. At some point with the responsibility that Coach Claeys has been exposed to you would have to think that he is now prepared to deal with the media, delegate the recruiting, have a tree of contacts of coaches he ahs coached with over the years that he could call on to help him as head coach. At some point coach Claey's is going to be in demand to the point where people will be contacting him and he should have an agent. With the success coach Kill is having with his staff I fully expect more poachers and other programs trying to take away coaches for other positions. That is the way of the college football world. If I were Claey's though, I too would avoid the Kansas job, that job has been the ending of many coaching careers, that is the pit of college football. Even with the loyalty, when success comes coach Kill is going to develop a coaching tree, that is almost unavoidable.

There's always Tim Brewster.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

That actually wouldn't shock me. He must have learned something from the train-wreck he left here. And now he's won a 'Natty' and all. :cool:

None of the names mentioned here appear on any serious lists of contenders for the job. Which surely means one will get the offer.

I talked to a guy recently who covered SIU football for the student newspaper. He said if Jerry Kill leaves it will be for a better situation which means a big time school like Texas or LSU.

I strongly believe that the only school Bohl would leave Wyoming for is Nebraska.

Top Bottom