Kansas Has Fired Head Coach Charlie Weis

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Once the darling of college football as he led Notre Dame to a 9-2 record and a Fiesta Bowl berth in his very first season as a head coach (and in doing so earning a 10 year contract extension worth $30-40 million), Charlie Weis was fired this morning as head coach of the University of Kansas football team.

If you look at the Jayhawks’ record with Weis at the helm, the move makes sense. They went 6-22 in his 28 games, including a hideous 1-18 record in the Big 12.

http://www.complex.com/sports/2014/...+09+2014&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Go Gophers!!

This is Claeys to a T:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Weis just hasn't been able to tackle his weight problems. Could it be the reason he is sleepy? He just looks worn out. He has plenty of dough still coming his way, so I can't feel sorry for him. He has proven to be smug over the years, so I doubt too many folks will be providing any sympathy.

Bleed, you're right. I just mentioned to someone yesterday that Claeys wouldn't leave for Eastern Michigan. I did mention that I could see him leaving for a place like Kansas. If that's what he'd want, I'd be all for it.

So you're saying there is a known quantity out there in case Michigan wants to make a move...

He has the best gig ever.

A couple more years as an OC somewhere, and then he'll grab one more small college Head Coaching job for a few more million.

It would hurt to lose Claeys no doubt, but I'd feel really comfortable with Sawvel moving up to D coordinator.

Tracy Claeys is a Kansas native, a K-State alum though. Kirby Smart should be on their list too.

Kirby Smart might be in the list but no way he takes Kansas. U can chisel that in stone. He is next head coach at either Alabama or Georgia. He sits there behind Saben until one of the two happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not 100 % positive but I think he is still getting paid from Florida too

Kirby Smart might be in the list but no way he takes Kansas. U can chisel that in stone. He is next head coach at either Alabama or Georgia. He sits there behind Saben until one of the two happen.

Agreed. They should consider someone like Terry Bowden, who had a nice win yesterday over Pitt, and doesn't have any higher options right now.

A lot of Kansas ties from Jerry Kill very highly thought of in Kansas with Clayes and Limegrover another couple staff guys with Kansas roots other members with Kansas roots also

Perhaps he gets tired of sitting around waiting though.

Perhaps he gets tired of sitting around waiting though.
Smart might get tired of waiting, but unless KU ponies up the bucks to compete head to head with KSU, that will be a tough job.
Maybe they have way more resources than I know about, but I think Mase and Mangino were the only guys who won there, and they both struggled at times.
I am not saying it can't be done, but if you were Kirby Smart I doubt this would look like the best opportunity you would see in the next several years. Additionally Saban does not really like playing against spread teams and that is all the Big12 is. If Smart feels the same way, it would be not that attractive.

Obligatory:

"Let's fire 'Limey' and hire him as OC."

I don't know if any of you watch "The Sports Show". It's a show that usually has Sid Hartmann on it on WB23. Anyway, the host, a gentleman named "Mike Maxx", (assume that's a made up name), suggested that Kansas would call to try and get Jerry Kill as there new head coach.

Can anyone explain to me, what would make you think you would leave the U of M job, supposedly while it's on the rise, to start new again at Kansas.

This "Mike Maxx" suggested he'd be interested because it is his home state.

No, Mike Max said "you can bet Kansas will call Kill." However, Kill has said this is his last job.

I'm too lazy to research it but Weis has had health issues in addition to weight issues.

However, Weis had one (ONE) good year as a Head Coach in his first year with inherited assets and parlayed that into 50 million or whatever it all adds up to.

Assistant coaches: Weis "looked" impressive as an offensive coordinator for the Patriots. Parlayed that into the Notre Dame job. But when he left, New England didn't skip a beat. Does the credit Weis got in NE really belong to Belichek? Kind of like the reverse to Dan Monson...he was head coach at Gonzaga and Monson got the credit...but the real credit behind the scenes really belonged to Mark Few who elevated the program to higher levels and sustained those levels after moving up from asst to head coach. My point: Could Weis ever coach? Is he the greatest flim flam man ever?

I don't know if any of you watch "The Sports Show". It's a show that usually has Sid Hartmann on it on WB23. Anyway, the host, a gentleman named "Mike Maxx", (assume that's a made up name), suggested that Kansas would call to try and get Jerry Kill as there new head coach.

Can anyone explain to me, what would make you think you would leave the U of M job, supposedly while it's on the rise, to start new again at Kansas.

This "Mike Maxx" suggested he'd be interested because it is his home state.

It's Mike Max, not Mike Maxx. Maxx is our TE. :cool:

All Kill has to do is ask Glen Mason which is a better job...If we lose Kill, it's not going to be to one of the worst Power 5 jobs there is. Claeys? Sure, that could happen.

Kill isn't going to leave here, a program on the upswing, to take on yet another rebuilding job in a worse location, in a less prestigious conference. That's just typical Minnesota fatalistic thinking. I could see them going after Claeys, but who knows if he'd want that headache either.

Now if Bill Snyder retired again, and K-State called Kill, that might be another story.

Do you honestly think someone would have said that?

Dude. Somebody started a thread about hiring Kevin Wilson (a sitting Big Ten HC who runs an uptempo spread) as our next OC. I think you severely underestimate the lack of football knowledge among some of the posters here.

Lots of the assistant coaches have young families who are starting to set roots down in their communities. They don't want to move again.

Kansas is a basketball school. Not that you can't field a football team. Florida held both Championships at one time. And Duke is on an unprecedented run in modern times. But Kansas, flashes but nothing sustained. They have a history of coaches lasting 2-4 years. They have tried assistants, former coaches, heck Glen Mason coached Kansas.The last coach to have a winning record at Kansas? Mark Mangino. This is one rebuilding project nobody wants. Kirby Smart has a better gig at Alabama, Claeys knows Kansas too well.

I don't pretend to understand what goes in in Claeys head (or anyone else for that matter), but I have to imagine that not every up-and-coming or successful coordinator wants to be a head coach. There is a huge difference between being an "Xs and Os" guy and being the chief executive officer, public relations and otherwise face of a program.

Kansas is a big, big step down.

Top Bottom