Limegrover and Kill

goldy93

Reaction score
Is it time to acknowledge that maybe Kill and Limegrover are a lot smarter than many posters on GH would lead us to believe? Seems to me that the only thing they care about is the W, not style points. They take the players they have and put them in the best position to succeed and adapt their game plan accordingly.

Against SJSU, with your second string QB in, pound them into submission on the ground. Why take chances throwing it? Who cares if it is not pretty, just get the W and move on. Against Michigan, change the game plan with a much better defense against the run (at least on paper),still pound them into submission, get the W and move on.

For all of you wishing for a new OC, look at the mess Michigan is in before you starting wishing.

Now, let's not do what we have done in the past and have a letdown against NW. I think the bye week is coming at the absolute best possible time for us. 2 weeks to prepare and refocus.

Seems to me that the only thing they care about is the W, not style points.

This x100

Compare this week to last week's play selection and game plan. There is your evidence.

The offense scored 23 points yesterday. I'm thrilled but let's not cast him in bronze just yet.

I like W's, don't care about style. I'm enjoying what they've done so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The offense scored 23 points yesterday. I'm thrilled but let's not cast him in bronze just yet.

We're not casting him in bronze. We're trying to dispel the notion that because Limegrover/Kill don't run certain plays versus San Diego Directional, they are stubborn or stupid, or that they suddenly forgot the playbook.

Based on the fact that GH told me we had the worst QB in 40-years I would think 23-points is bronze-worthy.

Based on the fact that GH told me we had the worst QB in 40-years I would think 23-points is bronze-worthy.

+1 Ah yes, after having to endure all their negative comments lately you would think that would have the common courtesy to apologize to us for all their crap. :rolleyes:

Where did I say that or even imply it? I just don't get people that want Limey fired, because he is supposedly inept, or those that wonder if Kill is the right hire, still, after 4 years. Go watch the 2011 game against Michigan and the difference between the 2 teams now and I think it answers those questions. Look at what has happened to Michigan with their new OC.

Where did I say that or even imply it? I just don't get people that want Limey fired, because he is supposedly inept, or those that wonder if Kill is the right hire, still, after 4 years. Go watch the 2011 game against Michigan and the difference between the 2 teams now and I think it answers those questions. Look at what has happened to Michigan with their new OC.

i think we all are feeling good after the win but lets not get into a Mason like rut where we are middle of the pack team. I for one expected this type of game from the first game on and it wasnt there. maybe had they played this well from game one we might not have lost to TCU

baby steps i get it as long as the steps continue to be moving forward

Your quote before the game:

"Hard to imagine how we score 20 points."

And then we did.

When you keep moving the goalposts, you're never going to be happy with the Gophers.

Oh wait...I guess that's what you want.

I admit I was ready to jump off the band wagon after the poor performance from the TCU game, but we sure looked good on both sides of the ball Saturday. I figured we were in for a long season based off our offensive play 2 weeks ago and yes I took a shot or two at Leidner. Things have changed and I see light at the end of the tunnel. Go Gophers!!!

Is it time to acknowledge that maybe Kill and Limegrover are a lot smarter than many posters on GH would lead us to believe? Seems to me that the only thing they care about is the W, not style points. They take the players they have and put them in the best position to succeed and adapt their game plan accordingly.

What's amazing to me is how many people actually think they know more than these guys about football. Because they watch football; attend open practices and break down YouTube clips; maybe even coach 15-16 year olds; or played football for a few years; or are undefeated at XBoxBall, they really do believe this. I get it's a forum and people have opinions and it's all meaningless anyway. But some of the crap after a loss is beyond ridiculous.

This staff ain't perfect, but guys that spend virtually twice the time on their jobs that regular people do, really do know more than us. Can't imagine how many eyes and how many times some plays are looked at. Just as important, they know their players a hell of a lot better than any of us.

Who knows if Kill will actually win a championship? Still valid questions about his approach and there have been those games where we get absolutely outclassed. All I know is that for two years in a row, I've sat there and thought, "Wow! We are literally kicking the crap out of Nebraska or Michigan!" I'll be pretty damn supportive of people who give me that much joy. Please do it to Wisconsin, Jerry.

What's amazing to me is how many people actually think they know more than these guys about football. Because they watch football; attend open practices and break down YouTube clips; maybe even coach 15-16 year olds; or played football for a few years; or are undefeated at XBoxBall, they really do believe this. I get it's a forum and people have opinions and it's all meaningless anyway. But some of the crap after a loss is beyond ridiculous.

This staff ain't perfect, but guys that spend virtually twice the time on their jobs that regular people do, really do know more than us. Can't imagine how many eyes and how many times some plays are looked at. Just as important, they know their players a hell of a lot better than any of us.

Who knows if Kill will actually win a championship? Still valid questions about his approach and there have been those games where we get absolutely outclassed. All I know is that for two years in a row, I've sat there and thought, "Wow! We are literally kicking the crap out of Nebraska or Michigan!" I'll be pretty damn supportive of people who give me that much joy. Please do it to Wisconsin, Jerry.

Let's do it to Northwestern first. One game at a time, brick by brick.

And then we did.

When you keep moving the goalposts, you're never going to be happy with the Gophers.

Dpdolled.

Let's see LG do it over the course of a month or six weeks and then I think we can take a step back and say maybe he is okay. He had a good game or two last year too and then we went into the major funk at the end of the season. Great job Saturday.

There is always going to be the class of fans that want everyone fired after a loss or poor performance and the flip side to those fans that feel we have the greatest coaches ever after a win. Sometimes the same person can fall into both categories over the course of a season because they get so wrapped up in things.

For me personally I try to avoid the extremes on either side and pay attention to the fans in the middle who tend to be able to see things from multiple angles. Kind of like politics :).

Offense scored 23 pts. AND we took a knee at the end of the game. We Would have scored again if we wanted to.

Offense scored 23 pts. AND we took a knee at the end of the game. We Would have scored again if we wanted to.

Good point. My only critique of the game-coaching was the series at the end of the first half. Yeah, we came away with 3 points, but it seemed like the coaches were happy to just get the FG. Some of the clock management was a little hinky, too. Another tick or two on the clock and we could have taken a shot into the end zone. Still, if that's the worst thing you can say about our play calling in a win I'll take it.

Let's see LG do it over the course of a month or six weeks and then I think we can take a step back and say maybe he is okay. He had a good game or two last year too and then we went into the major funk at the end of the season. Great job Saturday.

Is that you wren?:rolleyes:

Good point. My only critique of the game-coaching was the series at the end of the first half. Yeah, we came away with 3 points, but it seemed like the coaches were happy to just get the FG. Some of the clock management was a little hinky, too. Another tick or two on the clock and we could have taken a shot into the end zone. Still, if that's the worst thing you can say about our play calling in a win I'll take it.

Yeah, I've got a big problem with the criticism of the clock management at the end of the 1st half. Didn't we drive from the 1 yard line with about 2:20 to go to get 3 points and deny Michigan the ball? TV guy wouldn't shut-up about it, while we marched up the field. The best thing we did there is not give Michigan the ball back. The second best thing is that we scored. Man, tough to please people.

Yeah, I've got a big problem with the criticism of the clock management at the end of the 1st half. Didn't we drive from the 1 yard line with about 2:20 to go to get 3 points and deny Michigan the ball? TV guy wouldn't shut-up about it, while we marched up the field. The best thing we did there is not give Michigan the ball back. The second best thing is that we scored. Man, tough to please people.

I was just hoping to run out the clock and take a knee but once Cobb got a few big plays just running up the middle I was all for getting some points. Very similar to the PSU game going into the half if you remember.

Smash mouth is rarely a thing of beauty. In fact, it can be brutal in the pounding dished out. For all Michigan's ills, they had a stout defense, especially against the run. The ground and pound style pummeled them in the first 20 minutes, then we scored 30 in 25+ minutes. How many different players or coaches commented on offensive balance being a key to success. We don't have many big-play threats and Berkley hasn't quite had the breakout impact we had hoped. But, if we continue to stick to the philosophy, we'll have some explosive plays and I'm optimistic Mitch will be receive All-B1G consideration when it's all said and done.

And then we did.

Kerpwned.

Having been a critic, I've had the same thoughts: coaches are smarter than most of us - they did exactly what they needed to do to win the last two games. Still, the schedule is very, very tough so we shouldn't get carried away. Six or seven Ws looks likely.

Doing enough to win? What about when we don't win? Even Coach Kill went out of his way to praise Limegrover this past game. That indicates that even Kill thought he was extraordinary this past game. Of course they know more than me, or any of us, but maybe they're stubborn, maybe they get nervous during that situation when they have to figure out what play to call. People make excuses for Limegrover... oh he's waiting until B1G games to open up the offense. Oh, it's not his fault we get balls batted down on 3rd and long after running up the middle on first and second down.

I know we don't have great QBs, but there are plays you can call, safe plays, that will help mix it up so the defense just doesn't key on the run game. And obviously Limegrover has those plays on his list, he just never calls them, and just makes it harder for our QBs who are not great passers to start with. Why start off our young QBs with those plays to help make them comfortable and give them confidence early? If all their passing attempts are on 3rd and long, how good will their chances of succeeding be?

If you people can't recognize the issues with the Offense, then you don't know football. This past game was called great, and I am sure you all noticed the difference between the "normal" Limegrover game as opposed to the extraordinary game this past weekend. Again, not asking for a 30 passes a game, just asking for some mixing up of play calling. Sweep some, screen some, reverse some, anything but run run incomplete.

Doing enough to win? What about when we don't win? Even Coach Kill went out of his way to praise Limegrover this past game. That indicates that even Kill thought he was extraordinary this past game. Of course they know more than me, or any of us, but maybe they're stubborn, maybe they get nervous during that situation when they have to figure out what play to call. People make excuses for Limegrover... oh he's waiting until B1G games to open up the offense. Oh, it's not his fault we get balls batted down on 3rd and long after running up the middle on first and second down.

I know we don't have great QBs, but there are plays you can call, safe plays, that will help mix it up so the defense just doesn't key on the run game. And obviously Limegrover has those plays on his list, he just never calls them, and just makes it harder for our QBs who are not great passers to start with. Why start off our young QBs with those plays to help make them comfortable and give them confidence early? If all their passing attempts are on 3rd and long, how good will their chances of succeeding be?

If you people can't recognize the issues with the Offense, then you don't know football. This past game was called great, and I am sure you all noticed the difference between the "normal" Limegrover game as opposed to the extraordinary game this past weekend. Again, not asking for a 30 passes a game, just asking for some mixing up of play calling. Sweep some, screen some, reverse some, anything but run run incomplete.

Why in the hell aren't you on someone's coaching staff???

IF (I know one game at a time) the Gophers take care of business and win the next 3 games, the Gophers will be 8-2 in their last 10 B1G games. Think about that for a second...

IF (I know one game at a time) the Gophers take care of business and win the next 3 games, the Gophers will be 8-2 in their last 10 B1G games. Think about that for a second...

We're going to have to all chip in and get Wren some new shorts...

Top Bottom