Chip Scoggins: Victory over Michigan showcases Gophers' growth

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

This wasn’t a fluke or an upset, even if the betting line noted otherwise. Nor should anyone attach an asterisk to it.

What we witnessed from the Gophers football team on Saturday represented a tangible sign of progress. Progress as a program, as an offense, as a defense, as a coaching staff.

Yes, the Michigan Wolverines are not very good this season. Actually, they’re a complete mess and probably will be in the market for a new coach at some point soon. No amount of free tickets and Coke promotions will fix this embarrassment.

But the Gophers shouldn’t have to apologize for someone else’s calamity. Have you seen the ledger in the Little Brown Jug rivalry?

The Gophers finally got to touch, hug and kiss that 111-year-old trophy again with a 30-14 thrashing of the free-falling Wolverines in front of a hostile Big House crowd that erupted in boos and derogatory chants as the game turned lopsided.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/277347391.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

Chip nailed this part. I agree 100%:

"Offensive coordinator Matt Limegrover brought an excellent game plan that kept Michigan off balance by reintroducing the forward pass. At one point, Limegrover called four consecutive pass plays. Yep, four in a row, which felt like 40, given how mundane the game plan looked last week.

The design of those pass plays gave Leidner a chance to be successful. Screens, dump-offs, bootlegs. Quick-hitting stuff. Nothing fancy.

But that approach allowed Leidner to establish a rhythm and gain confidence against one of the Big Ten’s top defenses. He completed 14 of 22 passes for 167 yards and one touchdown.

This is how the Gophers offense should work: power running game and high-percentage passes. That can be a winning formula in the Big Ten when combined with a defense that is fast, physical and creates turnovers."

Chip nailed this part. I agree 100%:

"Offensive coordinator Matt Limegrover brought an excellent game plan that kept Michigan off balance by reintroducing the forward pass. At one point, Limegrover called four consecutive pass plays. Yep, four in a row, which felt like 40, given how mundane the game plan looked last week.

The design of those pass plays gave Leidner a chance to be successful. Screens, dump-offs, bootlegs. Quick-hitting stuff. Nothing fancy.

But that approach allowed Leidner to establish a rhythm and gain confidence against one of the Big Ten’s top defenses. He completed 14 of 22 passes for 167 yards and one touchdown.

This is how the Gophers offense should work: power running game and high-percentage passes. That can be a winning formula in the Big Ten when combined with a defense that is fast, physical and creates turnovers."

I think it is funny how people bash Limegrover and Kill about play calling. They could care less. All they want is the W. Against SJSU, why have Strev pass? Who cares? Win the game and then adjust your game plan for the next opponent. They have been doing it together for what, 14 years, and it has worked.

I think it is funny how people bash Limegrover and Kill about play calling. They could care less. All they want is the W. Against SJSU, why have Strev pass? Who cares? Win the game and then adjust your game plan for the next opponent. They have been doing it together for what, 14 years, and it has worked.

Who cares? QB and WR recruits and players, for one. Paying fans who want to show up and see the offense be able to move the ball and score some points, for two. TV networks who are considering airing your game, for three. Bowl game reps who are considering showcasing your game, for four. Perception in the media and coaching circles, who determine your polling fate, for five. Those who want the Gophers to look like they did against Nebraska-2013, Michigan-2014, and Indiana-2013, not Iowa-2013, Michigan-2013, and Wisconsin-2013, for six. Those who don't want to see Cobb, Leidner, Streveler, or any other runners take one too many hits and be lost for significant periods of time, for seven. Those who don't want to see a rift develop between the defense and the offense, for eight. Those who don't want to see one of our starting QBs transfer out of the program after every season, for nine.

Mixing up the offense gives the Gophers the best chance to score points, that is clear. You may not think that scoring points is important. Some of us, however, do, and thus the criticism when they go into their offensive shell. It's very clear the coaching staff has the capability to call great games. Some of us hope this will continue on a regular, not occasional, basis.

Perhaps a better question is, if you really care about the Gophers, how can you be so accepting of cases of mediocrity if the potential is clearly there to do more?

Why is winning mediocrity. Cheer for Oregon if style what you are after.

Who cares? QB and WR recruits and players, for one. Paying fans who want to show up and see the offense be able to move the ball and score some points, for two. TV networks who are considering airing your game, for three. Bowl game reps who are considering showcasing your game, for four. Perception in the media and coaching circles, who determine your polling fate, for five. Those who want the Gophers to look like they did against Nebraska-2013, Michigan-2014, and Indiana-2013, not Iowa-2013, Michigan-2013, and Wisconsin-2013, for six. Those who don't want to see Cobb, Leidner, Streveler, or any other runners take one too many hits and be lost for significant periods of time, for seven. Those who don't want to see a rift develop between the defense and the offense, for eight. Those who don't want to see one of our starting QBs transfer out of the program after every season, for nine.

Mixing up the offense gives the Gophers the best chance to score points, that is clear. You may not think that scoring points is important. Some of us, however, do, and thus the criticism when they go into their offensive shell. It's very clear the coaching staff has the capability to call great games. Some of us hope this will continue on a regular, not occasional, basis.

Perhaps a better question is, if you really care about the Gophers, how can you be so accepting of cases of mediocrity if the potential is clearly there to do more?

This^.

Brick by brick. I don't think we are to the brick of style points yet. I agree, just win and if we look like MSU, WIS, Iowa in doing so, I am good with it. Pound the rock mix in passes when/if needed and play great defense. Nothing else matters until we win the West and everyone else will take note.

Why is winning mediocrity. Cheer for Oregon if style what you are after.

This is a strange comparison. Is Oregon currently not one of college football's best teams in terms of winning and losing? Except for the terrible uniforms and questionable character surrounding the Oregon football program, yes, I'd be a fan of that kind of offense and winning tradition.

Perhaps a more apt comparison you are looking for is the Indiana-2013 squad, not?

This is a strange comparison. Is Oregon currently not one of college football's best teams in terms of winning and losing? Except for the terrible uniforms and questionable character surrounding the Oregon football program, yes, I'd be a fan of that kind of offense and winning tradition.

Perhaps a more apt comparison you are looking for is the Indiana-2013 squad, not?

No worries cncmin. I suspect much of what is posted is over your head.

#10 I disagree with 1 - 9. It's easy to counter with Kill's staff being 21-22 in four years with victories over Iowa, Michigan, and Nebraska. This is your definition of mediocrity. I say improvement and hope with recruiting improving.

Top Bottom