Signature Win?

Is the Michigan beatdown a signature victory?

• Total voters

For sure a signature win... Nebraska last year... Michigan this year!! Hell Yes

Definitely not a signature win in my opinion, but it's always a big deal to beat Michigan. This is a team that lost rather convincingly to Utah last week (who followed up their win in the Big House with a loss to Wazzu), so the "brand" of the opponent is far stronger than the actual product at this time. For me, a signature win is a win that signals that your program has made it to being nationally relevant. If the Gophers somehow get to 5-0 in the B1G this year, they will likely have 3 chances at a signature win to end the season: home vs Ohio State, at Nebraska, at Wisconsin. That elusive 6th B1G win would come against team that is likely ranked and that has been successful since the 90's. I am not predicting the Gophers to win 6 B1G games this year, just throwing out a scenario where they could get a "signature win" this season.

Why don't you tell us again how betting Michigan at the early line was the value bet? That was my recent favorite among your many terrible takes.

Don't you love the haters?

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...phers_after_encouraging_win_at_Michigan092914

But when looking not just at this season but Kill's program as a whole, does Minnesota's takedown of the Wolverines qualify as a "signature victory"?

In short, yes.

Yes, Michigan is a program in disarray, a team that is faltering under coach Brady Hoke with losses in nine of its past 13 games. Instead of facing Devin Gardner, a quarterback who had given them fits in their previous two meetings, the Gophers encountered backup Shane Morris, who started his second career game after Hoke opted to bench Gardner earlier in the week. The Wolverines entered the afternoon facing an identity crisis and left as disoriented as ever.

Even with that in mind, the Gophers' victory shouldn't be overlooked just because the Wolverines are in a down year. Instead, take notice of how Minnesota won. Behind a swarming defense that continues to impress on a weekly basis, the Gophers took a game in which they led only 10-7 at the half and ended up dominating Michigan for the final two quarters.

Beyond the two turnovers forced by Minnesota's defense, which now has a Big 10-best 15 takeaways, 10 of Michigan's 12 drives lasted three plays or fewer.

It was arguably one of the best all-around performances by the Gophers in four years under Kill, a stride forward from the program.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...phers_after_encouraging_win_at_Michigan092914

But when looking not just at this season but Kill's program as a whole, does Minnesota's takedown of the Wolverines qualify as a "signature victory"?

In short, yes.

Yes, Michigan is a program in disarray, a team that is faltering under coach Brady Hoke with losses in nine of its past 13 games. Instead of facing Devin Gardner, a quarterback who had given them fits in their previous two meetings, the Gophers encountered backup Shane Morris, who started his second career game after Hoke opted to bench Gardner earlier in the week. The Wolverines entered the afternoon facing an identity crisis and left as disoriented as ever.

Even with that in mind, the Gophers' victory shouldn't be overlooked just because the Wolverines are in a down year. Instead, take notice of how Minnesota won. Behind a swarming defense that continues to impress on a weekly basis, the Gophers took a game in which they led only 10-7 at the half and ended up dominating Michigan for the final two quarters.

Beyond the two turnovers forced by Minnesota's defense, which now has a Big 10-best 15 takeaways, 10 of Michigan's 12 drives lasted three plays or fewer.

It was arguably one of the best all-around performances by the Gophers in four years under Kill, a stride forward from the program.

+1

One definition of "signature victory" is all about how the victory was accomplished. It's about how Jerry Kill teams win games. Kill is all about being prepared, discipline, execution, working through adversity and team effort. This game looks to me like the epitome of a Jerry Kill victory, be the more physical team, pound the rock, throw in enough passing and misdirection to keep the other team off balance, control field position, don't make mistakes, cause the other team to make mistakes, give full effort for 60 min.

I saw the following quote on a Nebraska site in a discussion about signature wins, which captures the importance of victories like this for teams with a proud tradition that has been missing for some time. I can't say it better myself, so I'm including the quote here. Ignore the specifics about the team names and game specifics.

We are on a difficult journey, and this latest victory is a major step in the right direction.

It isn’t really important whether fans feel this would be a significant win; the only important thing is whether the players treat it as such.

In my opinion, NU made took a major step last week at OSU. It’s one thing to be confident and believe. It’s quite another to KNOW from experience that that confidence and belief is justified. That knowledge can only be gained by proving it on the field.

Now NU faces a true “pressure” game against a top-10 opponent. As important as a win would be for achieving this year’s goals, it pales compared to the effect it would have for years to come. NU is a very good team; to become great again it must develop the poise and experience that enable the team as a whole to play to it’s potential under any circumstance.

Beating Missouri is the next step in attaining that goal, not because they’re Mizzou or because a division title rests on the outcome,but because it’s an opportunity to build on what was accomplished last week at OSU. As such, a win would be most significant.

*shudders*

That 2003 game is seared into my brain and I still wake in cold sweat on some nights.

W's over "Meatchicken" are far and few between. I'll take it, but let history decide as to whether it was a "signature" win for this program.

you're so happy with yourself were able to take a shot at me. too funny.

Yes, I am! I don't understand the point of following a team that you hate so much. Then again, I also understand English, as opposed to whatever language you posted this in.

What happens with the team if we lose the game? 3-2 hoping to swing a bowl game? On the other hand......we put ourselves in good bowl position and bring the Little Brown Jug home for the first time in ten years. Signature win? Maybe not......but that's splitting hairs. It was a game that we lose nine out of ten times. This team has turned the corner.

Well, historically, we've won about 1 out of 4 games (73-25-3 all-time).

But that's splitting hairs as well.

Ok.........that's true. However.......I'm looking at recent history........in which we've done poorly. The early 1900's don't matter much anymore.

I'm voting Signature Win! We didn't get lucky or have the ball bounce our way a few times - this was a beat down....just like Nebraska last year. For one reason or another, both Nebraska and Michigan had a hold on us and even though we were outgunned; we never played very well and we often times ended up getting embarrassed. We're now on the giving end of that and it feels really good.

What is a signature win, and when has one ever occurred?

Isn't the idea of this thing called a signature win that it propels your program to greater heights? We finished 6-6 the following season.
No... I feel it's a win that your program hangs its hat on and that people remember for a long time. This Michigan game is not that, it's great for the program but it's not a signature win.

No... I feel it's a win that your program hangs its hat on and that people remember for a long time. This Michigan game is not that, it's great for the program but it's not a signature win.

Do you remember the last time that we won the Jug? Do you remember the past three wins? The third was a pretty long time ago.

Do you remember the last time that we won the Jug? Do you remember the past three wins? The third was a pretty long time ago.
Yes I remember the last time, no I do not remember the time before that. This game is a fantastic win and has great relevance to Gopher fans, but it lacks the significance on a national scale that the Penn State game had. I don't feel a game against an unranked opponent, regardless of their history, can be a touted as a signature win. You have to beat the best, and Michigan is maybe one of the worst Big Ten teams this year. Again, this is not minimizing the game, it's a great win and I hope it propels the Gophers to another awesome season, but it's not on the same level as even the win vs Michigan in 2005.

Yes I remember the last time, no I do not remember the time before that. This game is a fantastic win and has great relevance to Gopher fans, but it lacks the significance on a national scale that the Penn State game had. I don't feel a game against an unranked opponent, regardless of their history, can be a touted as a signature win. You have to beat the best, and Michigan is maybe one of the worst Big Ten teams this year. Again, this is not minimizing the game, it's a great win and I hope it propels the Gophers to another awesome season, but it's not on the same level as even the win vs Michigan in 2005.

I understand what you are saying but respectfully disagree on this game. The Gophers have or had something wrong between their ears when playing Michigan. The myth or fear or whatever you call it. Beating Michigan is a big step on believing in yourself and this team accomplished it. Now beat them again next year and I believe that lopsided losing streak can be put to bed. Next year when the Gophers win it will be another signature win.

I understand what you are saying but respectfully disagree on this game. The Gophers have or had something wrong between their ears when playing Michigan. The myth or fear or whatever you call it. Beating Michigan is a big step on believing in yourself and this team accomplished it. Now beat them again next year and I believe that lopsided losing streak can be put to bed. Next year when the Gophers win it will be another signature win.

Correct. This isn't Purdue. Looking at the way that Michigan has played........you'd probably have expected this game to be a toss up. Unfortunately.......we've historically played terrible against poor Michigan teams. Even our own fans gave us little chance.

Doesn't hurt that the game was nationally televised.

I guess I look at signature wins as being something on a greater scale than season to season, maybe era to era (1999 PSU was Mason's nationally, maybe 2003 Wisco locally). Just a difference in what qualifies. If we're going to give each season its signature win then I suppose this win qualifies for this young season.

Here's a shot at each season's sig win with almost no research:
2013: Nebraska
2012: Illinois? Syracuse?
2011: Iowa
2010: Iowa
2009: Michigan St
2008: No idea, maybe Illinois?
2007: LOL
2006: Iowa
2005: Michigan
2004: Alabama in the bowl game?
2003: Wisconsin

Somehow I feel that if the Gophers went 11-1 this year some would still argue that we don't have a signature win. It's never good enough for some. There's always a reason the win isn't big enough or impressive enough. Tough way to enjoy sports....

Somehow I feel that if the Gophers went 11-1 this year some would still argue that we don't have a signature win. It's never good enough for some. There's always a reason the win isn't big enough or impressive enough. Tough way to enjoy sports....

If the Goph's go 11-1, I would hope the signature win would be the first round of the playoff.

If we go 11-1 it will all about the signature loss that turned the season around.

Another tough way to enjoy sports is being overly sensitive because others won't view the team the way you want.

Another tough way to enjoy sports is being overly sensitive because others won't view the team the way you want.

Work through it scools. At least you know your fault.

I guess I look at signature wins as being something on a greater scale than season to season, maybe era to era (1999 PSU was Mason's nationally, maybe 2003 Wisco locally). Just a difference in what qualifies. If we're going to give each season its signature win then I suppose this win qualifies for this young season.

Here's a shot at each season's sig win with almost no research:
2013: Nebraska
2012: Illinois? Syracuse?
2011: Iowa
2010: Iowa
2009: Michigan St
2008: No idea, maybe Illinois?
2007: LOL
2006: Iowa
2005: Michigan
2004: Alabama in the bowl game?
2003: Wisconsin

Couldn't bring yourself to refer to Miami (Ohio) as a signature win in 2007?

Top Bottom