Sam Jacobson - nike dunk contest

whogoofed

Reaction score
Short video of Sam in a dunk contest. About 3 mins in. Good lord he looks young.

Watched Sam do some amazing things in a game once when he was playing against Tartan HS. He just took over the floor and had several amazing dunks and plays. He was fun to watch. That final four team had so many amazing NBA quality players.

A quick story about one of my basketball experiences with Sam. Played pickup against lots of Gopher players back in the early-to-mid 90s back at the Rec Center and on the old concrete court behind Territorial Hall. Some of the other guys like Voshon Lenard would just sit back and shoot from half court, while not playing any D; because of it, having a Gopher player on your pickup team was usually a detriment, if you wanted to win and hold court.

Sam, though, brought it. Me and my friends were no slouch players, we owned those courts...we couldn't do anything to stop him. He dribbled and weaved through us like we weren't even there, 8 dunks in a game (by 1) up to 11. Never experienced anything remotely like it before, nor since.

A quick story about one of my experiences with Sam. Played pickup against lots of Gopher players back in the early-to-mid 90s back at the Rec Center and on the old concrete court behind Territorial Hall. Some of the other guys like Voshon Lenard would just sit back and shoot from half court, while not playing any D; because of it, having a Gopher player on your pickup team was usually a detriment, if you wanted to win and hold court.

Sam, though, brought it. Me and my friends were no slouch players, we owned those courts...we couldn't do anything to stop him. He dribbled and weaved through us like we weren't even there, 8 dunks in a game (by 1) up to 11. Never experienced anything remotely like it before, nor since.

Sam was absolutely one of my favorite Gopher players of all time (along with Randy Breuer and Mark Hall). I never got to see him in high school, but my dad lived near there and watched him on several occasions. He said he'd never seen anything like it.

Sam was absolutely one of my favorite Gopher players of all time (along with Randy Breuer and Mark Hall). I never got to see him in high school, but my dad lived near there and watched him on several occasions. He said he'd never seen anything like it.

I saw him play in a Rotary Club tournament in Rochester. Park Cottage Grove was playing against Elk River (I think) who was led by Skip Schaefbauer. You had two (eventual) Mr. Basketball winners going at it. I think sam had like 35 and Skip had like 40. Wow.

Top Bottom