Sporting News: Richard Pitino's players don't know about Derek Jeter

I know it is hard to accept, but baseball is a no big deal to none baseball fans. This discussion all started with people being amazed that the basketball team didn't know who Jetter was, well the point is millions of people do not know who Jetter is. Just do a little digging on the Internet and it is a pretty common theme that baseball is losing it viewership.

So...us baseball fans have what, like, three years left before the league folds?

Na, just three years left before the Twins fold. I played as a kid, quit becasue it was boring, rather play hoops. Of the major sports, it is the most boring IMO, tough to sit through nine innings in a six hit, 1-0 game. If it wasn't for the kiss-cam my wife would never go.

I know it is hard to accept, but baseball is a no big deal to none baseball fans. This discussion all started with people being amazed that the basketball team didn't know who Jetter was, well the point is millions of people do not know who Jetter is. Just do a little digging on the Internet and it is a pretty common theme that baseball is losing it viewership.

I'll agree, but think that we're probably going a little hard at what Pitino said and taking it out of context. I'm guessing the players have heard of him and know who he is, but don't know about his impact in the game (which I don't really get as it was pretty much just due to ESPN hype for years and years since he played for the Yanks, but I digress). Baseball is losing popularity in areas of the country and around the world. But it is also gaining in other areas. Thus is the flux of sports. It's all about where the league chooses to spend its money. Urban centers have seen revitalization through MLB programs. The game continues to pipe guys in from the Caribbean, where guys see it as a way out. For the past 10 years, football has seemed sexier and more glamorized to US kids. I grew up playing both sports heavily. I like the intricacy of both games. But it is true that football provides more "excitement" if you don't have any understanding of the nuance of the game and thus will appear more exciting to the casual watcher. I think this is the point that alchemy was trying to make but perhaps went to generalized.

Baseball has no risk of dying right now. Will viewership change? Yes. Does the league need to make a concerted effort to make sure kids keep deciding to get their gloves and cleats and playing the game? Yes. But there are already avenues keeping kids playing. The LLWS is huge. The club teams often have even higher caliber kids. It will be interesting to see if the MLB capitalizes on an interesting point in history with the concussion issue coming to light. The NBA and MLB have a chance to steal kids away if they preach to the right areas to show baseball as a safe way for kids to have fun and possibly achieve something higher in terms of education or athletic success. But that's a debate for another day.

Na, just three years left before the Twins fold. I played as a kid, quit becasue it was boring, rather play hoops. Of the major sports, it is the most boring IMO, tough to sit through nine innings in a six hit, 1-0 game. If it wasn't for the kiss-cam my wife would never go.

Ah so that's why they canned Gardy today! ha!

So I guess us baseball fans should go live in a cave and wait out the inevitable, baseball folding because there "viewership" isn't as strong as it once was...you really got some learning to do my man. Hey we're all entitled to our opinions..no matter how "Interesting" they are..

So I guess us baseball fans should go live in a cave and wait out the inevitable, baseball folding because there "viewership" isn't as strong as it once was...you really got some learning to do my man. Hey we're all entitled to our opinions..no matter how "Interesting" they are..

You realize you're not really presenting any arguments, correct? There are numerous articles written the past few years that speak to baseball's growing problems

Guys, don't get too bent out of shape. I never implied that baseball is over in three years. Of course I exaggerated when I said that baseball is dying, but it is in a steady decline. How many Twins games can a kids watch without having to stay up past their normal bed time (very few day games)? How many games can a person watch without having to pay for cable or satellite?

Here is an interesting commentary. If your sports biggest star can walk into a bar and no one know him....

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/twilight-baseball

Guys, don't get too bent out of shape. I never implied that baseball is over in three years. Of course I exaggerated when I said that baseball is dying, but it is in a steady decline. How many Twins games can a kids watch without having to stay up past their normal bed time (very few day games)? How many games can a person watch without having to pay for cable or satellite?

Here is an interesting commentary. If your sports biggest star can walk into a bar and no one know him....

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/twilight-baseball

How is this anecdotal commentary more valid than the empirical evidence given on page one of this thread showing rising attendance consistently over the past 60 years?

Top Bottom