Sporting News: Richard Pitino's players don't know about Derek Jeter

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Sporting News:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It seems hard to believe, really, that a group of 18-23 year olds, most of whom grew up in the age where Jeter was a constant presence in the sport of baseball, could honestly not know who the Yankees star is.

It's even harder to believe after the guys they probably look up to — guys like LeBron James and Damian Lillard and Carmelo Anthony — were posting pictures on Instagram, praising the Captain.

But maybe it's not so hard to believe after all, when you look at the hometowns on Pitino's roster. Not a single player hails from New York. Guard Daquein McNeil, a Baltimore native, is the only player even remotely close to New York City.

In fact, a heat map of all of the fans who "like" Derek Jeter pages on Facebook shows that the state of Minnesota is barren. According to the map, the Land of 10,000 Lakes is in the bottom 25% of states where Jeter fans reside.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...nnesota-derek-jeter-retirement-richard-pitino

Go Gophers!!

I'm sure they know who he is, but probably don't understand the publicity and impact he had on baseball (which is and has always been overrated).

It still seems weird that they wouldn't know. I'm 23 and while I don't remember those mid 90s championships, but I definitely remember the flip, dive into stands, etc.

Even if they might not know who he was on the field but they should learn about him off the field...yowza. Murder's row right there.

BgYMqZACMAA5iVt.jpg

Attachments

• BgYMqZACMAA5iVt.jpg
    BgYMqZACMAA5iVt.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 38

Even if they might not know who he was on the field but they should learn about him off the field...yowza. Murder's row right there.

BgYMqZACMAA5iVt.jpg

That does pretty much outweigh all his other many accomplishments. Haha Outstanding performance! Good gosh!

It is more of a reflection of how much baseball is dying off. It is not a very popular game among the youth, most would rather play soccer.

It is more of a reflection of how much baseball is dying off. It is not a very popular game among the youth, most would rather play soccer.

I think it has more to do with how long Jeter has played and how little today's youth knows or cares about recent history.

It's pathetic is what it is.

No it's no pathetic. It's the National Pastime. You can say whatever you want about it but it's been around the longest out of any of the 3 major sports. I know it can be tough for people to comprehend what people that play/watch baseball get out of it. If you didn't play it as a kid, you probably wouldn't understand...

No it's no pathetic. It's the National Pastime. You can say whatever you want about it but it's been around the longest out of any of the 3 major sports. I know it can be tough for people to comprehend what people that play/watch baseball get out of it. If you didn't play it as a kid, you probably wouldn't understand...

You got to get out of your bubble. Baseball is boring, it was big back when it was the only national sport to follow. You have to be a student of the game to build up the drama in your own head. Is the pitcher is going to throw a change up, against a lefty, in the bottom of the 3rd, with a full count, with the infield playing in, etc..., etc... It is dying, and many people don't know who Jeter is, he is not Babe Ruth and wouldn't have quite the fame if he had played for the Royals. I know many people who have played it as a kid and they could care less about it now. NFL football is the national sport, by far.

You got to get out of your bubble. Baseball is boring, it was big back when it was the only national sport to follow.

I get many people think the game it boring. Very few people have the patients or time now days to follow 162 games. But just because you say it is boring, doesn't mean others can't disagree.

It's just a different atmosphere. Football is more intense. Each game means a lot more. Baseball is a grind. I love the fact that they play everyday. Just my opinion though.

You have to be a student of the game to build up the drama in your own head. Is the pitcher is going to throw a change up, against a lefty, in the bottom of the 3rd, with a full count, with the infield playing in, etc..., etc...

I don't understand this part at all. Anyone who knows just a little about the game can understand the significance of a 3-2 count with the bases loaded and the hitting team's best hitter on deck. By your logic, you can only build drama in football if you know about types of coverages, blitz reads, and the differences of 3, 5, and 7 step drops.

I could understand the argument that baseball's drama isn't as significant because they play so many more games meaning the drama in a single game isn't as significant compared to football. But then I would argue that is the case with pretty much all other sports other than maybe wrestling.

It is dying, and many people don't know who Jeter is, he is not Babe Ruth and wouldn't have quite the fame if he had played for the Royals.

It's not even close to dying. Lots of people attend games. In fact, MLB parks are way more full than they were 30+ years ago and it isn't even close. It may be slipping in popularity, but it is not even close to dying.

I know many people who have played it as a kid and they could care less about it now.

The "many" people you know doesn't prove anything. I know several people who played football (one even coached) who don't watch it much anymore.

NFL football is the national sport, by far.

I didn't see anyone say the NFL wasn't the most popular pro sport. Most everyone knows that. MLB is still second. You're acting like it is totally irrelevant. The numbers say differently.

Your points are all valid for baseball fans. I didn't say that other can't disagree, I am talking the patients to watch a whole game. Just look at all of the distractions that minor leagues ball has to do to entertain people at the ballpark when you don't have the star power. Baseball is very slow paced and it is hard to keep the causal fan interested, just like soccer.

No, football has constant action that keeps peoples attention, a better analogy would be to change 3/4 of a football game to just passing drills where fans watch a QB try and hit a WR on a bomb, then they walk back to the line, scratch and tug their uniforms, and then run another deep route. Baseball has very little action, and tension is built on what could happen.

Of course baseball will not die, I was being over dramatic. But how many games are not on pay TV? That does not help build a fan base.

The "have played baseball" comment was directed to the respond that those that have played baseball really understand...etc comments, kind of reminds me of a soccer fan comment.

Getting back to Jetter, he is not really a big deal to non-baseball fans. Michael Jordan is to non-basketball fans, or Tiger Woods is to non-golf fans.

Your points are all valid for baseball fans. I didn't say that other can't disagree, I am talking the patients to watch a whole game. Just look at all of the distractions that minor leagues ball has to do to entertain people at the ballpark when you don't have the star power. Baseball is very slow paced and it is hard to keep the causal fan interested, just like soccer. No, football has constant action that keeps peoples attention, a better analogy would be to change 3/4 of a football game to just passing drills where fans watch a QB try and hit a WR on a bomb, then they walk back to the line, scratch and tug their uniforms, and then run another deep route. Baseball has very little action, and tension is built on what could happen. Of course baseball will not die, I was being over dramatic. But how many games are not on pay TV? That does not help build a fan base. The "have played baseball" comment was directed to the respond that those that have played baseball really understand...etc comments, kind of reminds me of a soccer fan comment. Getting back to Jetter, he is not really a big deal to non-baseball fans. Michael Jordan is to non-basketball fans, or Tiger Woods is to non-golf fans.

http://youtu.be/YpuRcmPnSTM

BgYMqZACMAA5iVt.jpg

That SOB has 4 of my girlfriends on that list. No wonder I drink beer. BTW! I am not telling which 4 they are.

and here is World Series viewership:

WS.jpg

it does have a committed fan base, but the general public is losing interest.

and here is World Series viewership:

View attachment 2943

it does have a committed fan base, but the general public is losing interest.

Oh come on now. There are twice as many teams and the teams are averaging 15-20 thousand more people(per game) than in the 50' and 60's.....the so called Golden Age of Baseball.

And you're talking about the World Series.....that's 4-7 games vs approximately 4800 games per year.

At least you have gone from 'dying' to 'losing interest'.

Yes MLB is facing some lack of interest from some of the younger ones.....but it is far from 'dying'.

That's not even taking into account the Billion dollar local tv rights contracts that some of the major market teams are receiving.

You got to get out of your bubble. Baseball is boring, it was big back when it was the only national sport to follow. You have to be a student of the game to build up the drama in your own head. Is the pitcher is going to throw a change up, against a lefty, in the bottom of the 3rd, with a full count, with the infield playing in, etc..., etc... It is dying, and many people don't know who Jeter is, he is not Babe Ruth and wouldn't have quite the fame if he had played for the Royals. I know many people who have played it as a kid and they could care less about it now. NFL football is the national sport, by far.

Dying is a vast over-statement. Look at the TV contracts recently signed by the Rangers, Dodgers, etc. for $50 + million a year and tell me again how it's dying and will be over-taken by soccer any day now.

That it's not terribly popular with the Gopher men's basketball team is less surprising. In addition, the Yankees have only one 1 WS since 2000. Jeter's importance is greatly exaggerated.

I think it has more to do with how long Jeter has played and how little today's youth knows or cares about recent history.

So true. They all have a tool that can get them just about any information in a second and they pretty much stick to Candy Crush.

Dying is a vast over-statement. Look at the TV contracts recently signed by the Rangers, Dodgers, etc. for $50 + million a year and tell me again how it's dying and will be over-taken by soccer any day now.

That it's not terribly popular with the Gopher men's basketball team is less surprising. In addition, the Yankees have only one 1 WS since 2000. Jeter's importance is greatly exaggerated.

You might want to up that a little.
http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mlh45egkd/hanley-ramirez/

I played some baseball and enjoyed playing... I don't follow, watch or give on rip about MBL and will probably never sit down and watch a game on tv the rest of my life.

Never watched him play. I only know he has had some pretty good success with the ladies. Call it pathetic all you want.

What's wrong with having success with the ladies? They get horny too, ya know.

Yikes. Though those with equity stakes make it hard to compare. Either way the Twins get peantus from FS North by comparsion. It's too bad they couldn't make their network work. They were too far ahead of their time.

The Twins get $29 Mill from FSN(annually). Sounds like the length of the contract might not be known but estimates have it running through the end of this decade.

It amazes me the number of people that claim the Twins, with their new stadium, have as much money as the rest of baseball.

Here's a good article.
http://m.1500espn.com/pages/sportswire.php?sID=3956

What's wrong with having success with the ladies? They get horny too, ya know.

Call it pathetic was not about his the success with the women... it was about Twinsfan007 post about not knowing or caring about MLB baseball or knowledge about Jeets.

All I really know about the guy is that he plays baseball for the Yanks. Why was Pitino talking about him?

Sounds like someone needs to get out of their own bubble...:rolleyes:

I played some baseball and enjoyed playing... I don't follow, watch or give on rip about MBL and will probably never sit down and watch a game on tv the rest of my life.

Never watched him play. I only know he has had some pretty good success with the ladies. Call it pathetic all you want.

I'm not calling it pathetic, someone else is so :p

Sounds like someone needs to get out of their own bubble...:rolleyes:

I know it is hard to accept, but baseball is a no big deal to none baseball fans. This discussion all started with people being amazed that the basketball team didn't know who Jetter was, well the point is millions of people do not know who Jetter is. Just do a little digging on the Internet and it is a pretty common theme that baseball is losing it viewership.

Top Bottom