AP: Gophers predictably predicted by WCHA women's coaches to repeat as league champs

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the AP:

Minnesota is the preseason pick by WCHA women's coaches to win the conference this season.

The WCHA announced the preseason poll Tuesday. The Gophers, who were beaten by Clarkson in the NCAA championship game last season, are the reigning WCHA regular season and playoff champions.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/276851921.html

Go Gophers!!

No surprise. Even without Kessel, the Gophers have great depth and another outstanding recruiting class coming in. Amanda's absence adds some drama, but even with her missing, the team is still stacked.

No surprise. Even without Kessel, the Gophers have great depth and another outstanding recruiting class coming in. Amanda's absence adds some drama, but even with her missing, the team is still stacked.

Does anyone know anything in regards to Amanda's progress? I've been thinking about this ever since Banham announced that she will come back next year. I'd assume that Amanda is coming back, except that neither Darwitz or Wendell came back for their final seasons. It's not an olympic year, and there really is not much in the way of a pro league that can offer her a ton of cash not to come back, but it was neither of those things that kept Darwitz or Wendell from coming back, so I just don't think its smart to assume anything. It is so nice having heard from Banham that she is coming back, it would be equally as nice to hear something similar from Amanda.

Even if she didn't come back, we have the #1 scoring Sophomore in the nation this season and the #1 scoring Freshman in the nation and the 2nd highest scoring Junior in the nation this year. And I truly think that the Gophers have played a much tougher scedule than Boston College has, otherwise Hannah Brandt might be the #1 scoring Junior as well. I can only imagine if Amanda had been able to play, could we have had the #1 scoring senior as well? lol I know it doesn't work like that exactly, but its still fun to speculate about what could have been, same as if Banham would have remained healthy. Would Zahui B have progressed as quickly if Banham had been playing all this time? Wow, how many of those close games might we have won? lol

So we have alot of talent returning next season. I believe our top 4 scorers, so far, this season are all returning, we have a great recruiting class coming in. Our other Amanda will be back in goal for her Senior season. Should be a great year with or without Kessel returning, but WOW, could we pull off another 41-0 kind of season if she did return?! I wouldn't bet on it happening, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did, either.

Actually, I take that back. If Kessel does return along with everyone else that is eligible, I probably would bet on them going undefeated, lol, I mean, why not. Add Kessel to this years lineup and we might have done it this year?

Well, enough speculating.

As the OP said, Minnesota was the preseason pick to win the WCHA, which MRJ deduced was not a surprise, and its no real surprise that they picked correctly.

Now hopefully we can follow that up with a Conf tourney Title as well.

Top Bottom