With the guards we have...

diehard

Reaction score
and are getting we look to have an awesome backcourt for years. Are our bigs good enough to stop the second shots with rebounding? If they do, I do not doubt they can make the pass to start the break. This can be a lot of fun to watch and more fun with the winning they will bring. We need some special bigs. BTW, this is not about AI. Not sure he would have been the fit we need.

All you hear in March is about guard play. Feels good knowing we've got some talent there.

and are getting we look to have an awesome backcourt for years. Are our bigs good enough to stop the second shots with rebounding? If they do, I do not doubt they can make the pass to start the break. This can be a lot of fun to watch and more fun with the winning they will bring. We need some special bigs. BTW, this is not about AI. Not sure he would have been the fit we need.

If Elliot can keep out of foul trouble, he is a good rebounder and he is very good at passing out for the fast break if he gets the defensive rebound. Mo has been slower and more deliberate when he gets a defensive rebound and not as adept at that particular task, but we'll see.

Don't know enough about the newbies yet to make a judgment.

EE is one of the better rebounders in the Big Ten an Mo is solid as well. The key is if Joey can improve in that regard. He is probably the worst rebounder in the B1G at his position. Hopefully the reported added weight can help. I think Josh will play a pretty big role as the season moves along. He was a beast rebounder in High School, and rebounding is one stat that usually translates well even when you move up in regards to competition level.

I think Josh will play a pretty big role as the season moves along. He was a beast rebounder in High School, and rebounding is one stat that usually translates well even when you move up in regards to competition level.

I'm hoping he is putting on some weight. he could be a freak rebounder like Mbwakwe with his hops and movement ability. He also has to have that rebounding instinct to get the numbers he had in High School.

With the veteran backcourt, we are just a few breakout seasons from being very competitive in the Big Ten. The question is, will any of EE, Mo, King, Josh or Squirrel break out? Probably to much to hope for to have two of them make big jumps forward.

I have confidence that Squirrel, King, and Martin will all be good-great players this season and beyond, but what I think OP is more worried about, and I am too, is a paint protector. After EE and Mo graduate, we will have no prototypical centers left.

I have confidence that Squirrel, King, and Martin will all be good-great players this season and beyond, but what I think OP is more worried about, and I am too, is a paint protector. After EE and Mo graduate, we will have no prototypical centers left.

Ummm, what about Konate and Nwankwo?

I'm hoping he is putting on some weight. he could be a freak rebounder like Mbwakwe with his hops and movement ability. He also has to have that rebounding instinct to get the numbers he had in High School.

With the veteran backcourt, we are just a few breakout seasons from being very competitive in the Big Ten. The question is, will any of EE, Mo, King, Josh or Squirrel break out? Probably to much to hope for to have two of them make big jumps forward.

I misread this as saying that Joey could be a rebounder like Trevor, and got very, very confused. But yes, I have the same hope for Josh. He's got physicality and aggression. Now it's just about studying the angles and the technique of rebounding.

Also shot blocking. Should have mentioned that! Someone who stops the drive before it gets to the bucket.

You hope Martin pus on some weight? What?

We have a veteran front court too, not following your post at all.

EE got off to a great start last year then faded mid-year just when he started to receive kudos for his spirited and consistent play. Perhaps he got tired, was hurt or lost his emotional edge. Regardless, he is fully capable of 8 rpg and 6 ppg; if Mo can go 10 ppg and 5 rpg, that would be one nice 2014/5 combo.

EE got off to a great start last year then faded mid-year just when he started to receive kudos for his spirited and consistent play. Perhaps he got tired, was hurt or lost his emotional edge. Regardless, he is fully capable of 8 rpg and 6 ppg; if Mo can go 10 ppg and 5 rpg, that would be one nice 2014/5 combo.

He did fade consistency wise during the second half of the season, but he still had some good games. Even though he only scored two points he had a great game vs St. Marys. 8 rebounds and 7 blks while holding a very good big man, Brad Waldow, to 1-7 from the field. His consistency issues started around the time Walker started his emergence. Regardless of what we get from him on offense, we know we are going to get good defensive presence from him, when he is on the floor. Any offense over 5-6ppg is a bonus.

Also shot blocking. Should have mentioned that! Someone who stops the drive before it gets to the bucket.

EE is pretty darn good at shot blocking and altering shots in the lane, top self foul'r ta boot.

Richard had some good things to say about what he has seen form Kontae since he arrived to campus and he could/should be a shot blocking machine.

Does Gaston really have Trevor potential? I expect him to be in school come January.

Does Gaston really have Trevor potential? I expect him to be in school come January.

Sure. Trevors freshman year he joined the team late after coming back from injury and... concluded the year averaging 1.5 points and 2.1 rebounds per game ... Earned first letter.

Great guards, athletic frontcourts, and some timely shooting.

I agree if you don't have great guards you don't have a chance in the regular season or in the tourney. To get far in the tourney you do need rebounders. Last years champion Huskies were led by 2 fantastic guards in Napier and Boatright. But D Daniels made some huge baskets, rebounds, and played some very good defense. Brimah's shotblocking also made up for over aggressive defense on the perimeter. Similarly when Louisville won it with Siva and Smith, whereas Behannan and Harrell provide rebounding, and Dieng the shotblocking. Hancock provided some nice outside shooting. It seems like Rick is trying to build something similar here.

All you hear in March is about guard play. Feels good knowing we've got some talent there.

Like most, I know little or nothing about our bigs, but with the signing of Nwankno, feel we have numbers on our side. Joey, Martin, and Gaston at PF and Konate and Nwankno at C, should be enough to get the job done. Let's hope. One advantage, at least I think it's an advantage, is Coach P. and staff have given out 14 scholarships in less than 18 months.

For those who remember the days of yore, Gaston carries himself like Jim Brewer.

Like most, I know little or nothing about our bigs, but with the signing of Nwankno, feel we have numbers on our side. Joey, Martin, Buggs and Gaston at PF and Konate and Nwankno at C, should be enough to get the job done. Let's hope. One advantage, at least I think it's an advantage, is Coach P. and staff have given out 14 scholarships in less than 18 months.

For those who remember the days of yore, Gaston carries himself like Jim Brewer.

FIFY.

On the second part; not sure what you mean and no I don't know how Jim carried himself.

Like most, I know little or nothing about our bigs, but with the signing of Nwankno, feel we have numbers on our side. Joey, Martin, and Gaston at PF and Konate and Nwankno at C, should be enough to get the job done. Let's hope. One advantage, at least I think it's an advantage, is Coach P. and staff have given out 14 scholarships in less than 18 months.

Unless you're in English classes with him, how would you know this?

Top Bottom