How our opponents have fared...

John Galt

Reaction score
TCU went from being a sure win 2 months ago to a team that is going to contend for the national championship after what they did to us [sarcasm alert]. They've only played 2 games, so it's impossible yet to tell how good they are. As for the other teams we've played, it seems like the are all worse than what we thought:

1. Eastern Illinois: despite having a good record last year (12-2 if I remember correctly), they are 1-3 this year. In addition to losing to us, they lost to Southern Illinois 38-21, and Illinois St. 34-15. They rebounded this week with a 63-7 win over Austin Peay.
2. Middle Tennessee: since our game with them, they beat Western Kentucky 50-47 in 3OTs, and then lost yesterday to Memphis 36-17.
3. San Jose St.: beat UND 42-10, lost to Auburn 59-13. Auburn was up 38-10 at the half.

Bottom line, the teams we've beaten have been rolled by some other teams that don't appear to be that good....

So by the Transitive Property of Football, we are not very good. ;)

So by the Transitive Property of Football, we are not very good.

So is there something wrong with looking at how our opponents have fared? Based on what they have done against other teams I think it is safe to say that EI, MTSU, and SJSU are firmly in the cupcake category most thought they would be in heading into the year. We have not looked extremely impressive in beating those cupcakes, but we did beat them, which is the important thing. We did not look good against the one good team we have played to this point. This weekend in Ann Arbor should give us a great indication of what to expect over the remainder of the season.

So is there something wrong with looking at how our opponents have fared? Based on what they have done against other teams I think it is safe to say that EI, MTSU, and SJSU are firmly in the cupcake category most thought they would be in heading into the year. We have not looked extremely impressive in beating those cupcakes, but we did beat them, which is the important thing. We did not look good against the one good team we have played to this point. This weekend in Ann Arbor should give us a great indication of what to expect over the remainder of the season.

Sorry, I forgot to include the sarcasm emiticom. It is edited now.

So is there something wrong with looking at how our opponents have fared?

No, but taking the 3 that prove your point and leaving TCU out seems to show an agenda.

No, but taking the 3 that prove your point and leaving TCU out seems to show an agenda.

Guess I wasn't assigning any extra motive to the original post. I do think the jury is still out on TCU at this point. They are certainly better than any of the other three we played and if I had to guess I would bet they are at worst as good as a middle of the pack Big Ten team with the potential to be a contender. I think their defense is legit, tough to say how good their offense is at this point.

As for the others, EI seems to have taken a pretty big step back without their NFL QB. MTSU needed three overtimes to get past Western Kentucky and got beaten pretty soundly by Memphis. SJSU was gauged on the ground by Auburn and Minnesota to the tune of nearly 400 yards in both games so I think it is safe to say they have some major issues on defense.

Agenda? TCU has played two games, Samford and us. Like I stated, we have no idea how good they are.

Agenda? TCU has played two games, Samford and us. Like I stated, we have no idea how good they are.

SJSU has played 3... we know they suck.
TCU has played 2... no way to know.
Agenda.

SJSU has played 3... we know they suck.
TCU has played 2... no way to know.
Agenda.

SJSU lost to Auburn 59-13. They lost to the Gophers and a freshman QB making his first start 24-7. It's safe to assume they aren't very good this year.

TCU was 4-8 last year. They routed the Gophers last week and are significantly better than we are. So there are two options: the Gophers are good, but TCU is "really, really" good (top 10), or they are just "good" and we are going to struggle. I guess there is a 3rd option, but I'll let you figure that one out as I don't want to be pessimistic.

Anyone who thought at anytime TCU was a "sure" win just doesn't know much of anything about college football.

Agreed... anyone who thought TCU was a sure win only saw their record at 4-8 & didn't see how close they were to being 8-4 in a Offensive Heavy conference.

Also, to be honest they didn't really look GREAT against us. They should've put 56 up on us with all the mistakes & short fields & we still managed to hold them under 500 yards & under 35 points. They had short fields all day & for our Defense to be as tired as it was they didn't roll over & die like Masonesque Defenses would've with a (Michigan 2004 anyone? Don't try to remember trust me) stagnant Offense.

We would've had longer drives had we fielded a decent QB. What is TCU gonna do against those pesky Big 12 Offenses?

Please don't get it twisted, I'm a *HUGE* TCU fan & rooted for them against Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl. I just don't think that game said ANYTHING other then the Gophers don't have a QB. TCU could be good or bad but I wouldn't hold a team with no QB who can pass & was also responsible for 4 turnovers as a measurement...

Anyone who thought at anytime TCU was a "sure" win just doesn't know much of anything about college football.

Do you realize that you just insulted several GopherHole experts here with that statement? When I suggested earlier that TCU was a much better team than some people think they are, one person actually then stated that TCU game was the non-conference game he was least concerned about.

Top Bottom