GopherHole's Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jerry Kill - 9/21/14

DL65

Reaction score
Coach Kill’s comments and responses to queries by Sid Hartman and Dave Mona on today’s Sports Huddle:

1) Sid opened the show by asking about yesterday’s game plan – appeared it was to run and not throw: “Big thing, you dictate what you do by what you see,” replied Kill. “We averaged over six yards a carry . . . We had some shots (3 passes) that we missed.”

2) Sid said Streveler’s fast: Kill quickly responded, ‘”He’s very athletic . . . did a great job reading the option.”

On Streveler’s interception at the goal line: “The “pick,” they were in zone coverage – I take the blame – should have run the ball.” According to Kill, if they had run the ball instead of trying to pass into the zone coverage the Gophers would have scored a touchdown.

3) Sid opined that the running abilities of Chris Streveler and David Cobb make it tough on the opponents defense: “It’s option football – Switzer (former Oklahoma coach) would be happy,” replied Kill. “He (Streveler) didn’t miss many reads.”

4) Sid complained about the officiating in yesterday’s game (knowing that Kill could not comment – Kill laughed during Sid’s diatribe). Specifically, Sid was critical of the officials calling 12 players on the field and an unsportsmanlike call – “calls were stupid.” Sid then asked about the team’s offensive line: “Offensive line played better than at TCU . . . They understood what happened at TCU . . . played more bodies . . . (linemen) were aggressive . . . Did quite a bit with the young quarterback,” said Kill.

5) Sid asked if Mitch Leidner would be back for the Michigan game: Kill replied, “Can’t answer that; we’ll have to see how the week goes.”

Kill said he was hopeful that some of the players that have been nursing injuries will be back this week. Specifically, Kill said he was hopeful that Alex Keith would be back in action this week.

6) Sid said the team has had several injuries this season, which is problematic: Kill acknowledged this year’s team has had the largest number of injuries in his long coaching career. Since spring drills, Kill said they’ve lost nine guys to season-ending injuries – 5 or 6 with ACL injuries.

On the bright side, according to Kill, the “injury-bug” has created opportunities for younger players: “Took off redshirts . . . Brandon Lingen started yesterday . . . You just deal with it . . . It’s a challenge . . . We have to go to Michigan and improve . . . It’s Big 10 time.”

7) In a follow-up, Dave Mona said at one time he noticed 3 freshmen on the defensive front and, according to Dave Mona, they’re no longer freshmen, because of their extensive action: Kill responded laughing, “They can’t be (freshmen), they have to grow up fast.” Kill then cited two first-year freshmen for their play: Gaelin Elmore and Craig James . . . “Everybody (is) stepping up . . . Great attitudes.” Kill added, when a team and individuals have a great attitude “You get better and better.”

8) Sid, once again, turned his attention to the offensive line: Kill said the offensive line had a good week and he credited the players for their attitude and work ethic. He said they’ve had to overcome a lot of obstacles, especially the lack of “continuity.” He said the offensive line has lot of “moving parts” (linemen playing multiple positions). He cited the loss of Caleb Bak (concussions) was critical, as was the injury to Jon Christenson (should be returning) and the early season injury that Ben Lauer suffered.

Nevertheless, Kill sounded pleased with the line play (both sides) this week. He said they got off the line quickly yesterday.

9) Dave Mona asked about the field conditions after the torrential rains and when they returned to the field to finish the game: Kill replied, “I thought they were good . . . Our kids came out ready (after the weather delay).”

10) Sid asked how many first-year freshmen are playing: Kill said they are playing 8 or 9 freshmen and acknowledged they may play (take off redshirts) a couple more. They’ll know by mid-week, if they have to take off a couple more redshirts. However, he doesn’t plan to burn any redshirts after this week, if they don’t have to.

11) Sid said the Gophers have a “bye-week” following the Michigan game and that it couldn’t come at a better time: Kill said the “Bye-Week” will give them another week to heal up and a week to work with the younger players that have been seeing action.

As to additional injuries, Kill said, Marcus Jones suffered a hand injury and Zac Epping has a high ankle sprain. Kill concluded, “Hopefully we came out pretty good (injury-wise).”

Go Gophers!!

"Sid said Streveler’s fast: Kill quickly responded, ‘”He’s very athletic . . . did a great job reading the option.” Two other things Streveler did, first he carry out the fake after handing off to Cobb every time. He also did a little backside blocking. And the one thing that impressed me was his timing on the goal line sneak. He gave it a second or two looking around before getting under center and took an quick snap. Classic.

"Sid opined that the running abilities of Chris Streveler and David Cobb make it tough on the opponents defense: “It’s option football – Switzer (former Oklahoma coach) would be happy,” replied Kill. “He (Streveler) didn’t miss many reads.” Barry's teams never worried too much about throwing the ball. Neither did Tom Osborne.

"Sid said Streveler’s fast: Kill quickly responded, ‘”He’s very athletic . . . did a great job reading the option.” Two other things Streveler did, first he carry out the fake after handing off to Cobb every time. He also did a little backside blocking. And the one thing that impressed me was his timing on the goal line sneak. He gave it a second or two looking around before getting under center and took an quick snap. Classic.

"Sid opined that the running abilities of Chris Streveler and David Cobb make it tough on the opponents defense: “It’s option football – Switzer (former Oklahoma coach) would be happy,” replied Kill. “He (Streveler) didn’t miss many reads.” Barry's teams never worried too much about throwing the ball. Neither did Tom Osborne.

We're 3-1 but no passing so to speak. Some GH'ers wouldn't care if we were 1-3, as long as we passed more. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

We're 3-1 but no passing so to speak. Some GH'ers wouldn't care if we were 1-3, as long as we passed more. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

That and if we clarified our scholarship numbers on a daily basis.

I'd like to know how many of the "experts" stuck it out yesterday after the pick?

As for the passing, how do Georgia Tech, Air Force, and Navy fans stick with those dumpster fire offenses?

What is the issue with that 12 man call? I remember Kill flipping out on the ref, but I also remember the player being clearly on the field and not getting to the sideline (and barely jogging to get there) before the snap. Did Kill feel the refs didn't give enough time?

Some things are never obsolete. An strong running attack is one of them. Great game plan in preparation for Michigan. Assuming Streveler starts again, a passing attack will be opened up because of them stacking the box. If you do not think Streveler can complete a pass, I think you are wrong and I hope the butterflies were all used up yesterday in the freshman's first start. If Streveler starts... I boldly predict a win in Ann Arbor especially if he can accurately throw the ball 10 to 20 yards over his shoulder. The B1G respects Cobb.

But most of all, thanks, DL.

What is the issue with that 12 man call? I remember Kill flipping out on the ref, but I also remember the player being clearly on the field and not getting to the sideline (and barely jogging to get there) before the snap. Did Kill feel the refs didn't give enough time?

SJSU had a player about 20 yards offsides running off the field and the penalty was called on the Gophers.

Thanks, DL65. It is terrific being able to rely on you for this!

So is Maxx gonna be good to go on Saturday?

Thanks, as always, DL.

Derrick Wells looked hurt, I know he came off, but I guess he is alright? Even David Cobb got up slow after a few plays, thought he wasn't coming back in, but we know how that turned out...

That's what I read somewhere, Kill didn't feel they were given enough time to substitute their players.

Thanks, as always, DL.

Derrick Wells looked hurt, I know he came off, but I guess he is alright? Even David Cobb got up slow after a few plays, thought he wasn't coming back in, but we know how that turned out...

Wells came back in on Sat.

That's what I read somewhere, Kill didn't feel they were given enough time to substitute their players.

Isn't the rule that if the offense substitutes, they must give the defense time to match up? That's the way I was interpreting Kill's anger on the play. It seemed that SJSU quick-snapped the Gophers on that play.

That and if we clarified our scholarship numbers on a daily basis.

I'd like to know how many of the "experts" stuck it out yesterday after the pick?

As for the passing, how do Georgia Tech, Air Force, and Navy fans stick with those dumpster fire offenses?

Really....I know you fall all over yourself trying hard to be positive but those teams don't pass by design, and none of them play in the Big Ten. If we can get through the Big Ten season with a winning record running the offense we ran against SJSU you won't hear anyone complaining.

Really....I know you fall all over yourself trying hard to be positive but those teams don't pass by design, and none of them play in the Big Ten. If we can get through the Big Ten season with a winning record running the offense we ran against SJSU you won't hear anyone complaining.

Last sentence is total b.s. on GopherHole.

Last sentence is total b.s. on GopherHole.

I would like to believe that if we went 5-3 without a passing game of any kind that people would be content but I suppose you are probably right, there would still be those that would complain just for the sake of complaining.

I would like to believe that if we went 5-3 without a passing game of any kind that people would be content but I suppose you are probably right, there would still be those that would complain just for the sake of complaining.

You're learning, my friend.

What do you not get here? No Big Ten opponents allowed over 300 yards rushing to the Gophers last year and only two, Nebraska and Indiana, allowed over 200. Furthermore, in those two wins, the Gophers also had a significant amount of passing yards (actually had 325 against Indiana). The Gophers ran over SJSU the same way last year and were completely demolished by Iowa and Michigan in their next two games.

People aren't bitching because they want to see some West Coast offense. They're bitching because they believe, with very good evidence, that this offensive model isn't sustainable in the conference and they've seen nothing in the first four games to demonstrate that the offense is capable of turning to the pass with any consistency if the opponent stops the run, which is surely going to happen more than once in the conference.

Isn't the rule that if the offense substitutes, they must give the defense time to match up? That's the way I was interpreting Kill's anger on the play. It seemed that SJSU quick-snapped the Gophers on that play.
They did it on their next punt as well. Kill was still screaming at the refs and they quick snapped the ball. But all our guys were off the field.

They did it on their next punt as well. Kill was still screaming at the refs and they quick snapped the ball. But all our guys were off the field.

They can snap the ball as soon as the ref leaves the ball after substituting.

Option football

but those teams don't pass by design, and none of them play in the Big Ten.

Ga Tech beat Va Tech yesterday. By some transitive steps an option team beat a big ten team :p

They can snap the ball as soon as the ref leaves the ball after substituting.

But shouldn't the ref wait until all substitutions are done before putting the ball in play? Agreed SJSU can do whatever they want once the ball is in play, but the refs should have waited for the substitutions to be complete. Similar to an Oregon/Texas A&M/Indiana offense being forced by an official to wait for defense to substitute if the offense substitutes first.

Frankly unless they went 8-0 there would be complaining, and maybe rightfully so. In the B1G usually teams have to be fairly balanced. If they win 5 games not passing the question would be what would have happened the other 3 games if they even had a competent pass game? If they completed enough 10-15 yard passes to keep defenses from having 8-11 guys within 5 yards of the line that will help the running game... Even if they were averaging 5 yd/carry it would likely improve.

Top Bottom