Gophers Neutered play calling and Michigan owns Minnesota. Reasons for optimism?

gopherdudepart2

Reaction score
Who can sell us hope that the Gophers can beat Michigan this week? Strevlar is fast and can run the read option well, sometimes the Gophers play defense well.
We have seen this broken record before. Michigan appears to be struggling in the non-conference schedule and then it is like the flip a switch when they see
Minnesota on the schedule. Suddenly #98 Devin Gardner flips it, becomes magic and everything he throws up is completed or he escapes a Gophers pressure
and rips off a big run. Fuenchess heats up and gets open constantly and catches ball after ball for a first down.
Who can sell us that the Gophers can get by with no passing game and can get off the field against Michigan on third down?
After yesterdays play calling and turnovers, and the QB trying to prove he is linebacker tough guy, this seems like the same old Michigan beatdown
before the Gophers even play the game. One thing is for sure Michigan sees the Minnesota Jersey's and they see red like a bull in a China Shop.
They already have the mental edge even if they have been stinking up the joint, how do the Gophers win next week? I think like a lot a people am not seeing it.
Gardner seems to always be magical against the Gophers, why should this game be any different?

This looks like the worst Michigan team we have seen under Brady Hoke. I'm sure they will be favored, but I like our chances.

This looks like the worst Michigan team we have seen under Brady Hoke. I'm sure they will be favored, but I like our chances.

Yes but under Kill, have the Gophers ever mounted even a competitive game against Michigan? You can say this about most Gophers coaches, doesn't seem to matter if Michigan is struggling
by their standards they still manage to kick the Gophers butts year after year. After yesterdays games this one doesn't look any different. SJSU was not a good football team and the Gophers struggled
to beat them without throwing any forward passes. I don't mind the Gophers running the ball, but they get by with it when there playing patsies, when they play a strong front 7 like they did against TCU the Gophers cannot match up.

This may be the worst Michigan team we have seen in years but it is still Michigan and we are on the road. This will be a very tough game to win. Hope the d can get turn overs.

Brady Hoke gives us a chance.

OK, you're right. The Gophers have no chance to win. They should just forfeit the game right now and not even bother to show up. Thank you for your positive attitude.

The more I read this board today, the more I think that some of the alleged Gopher "fans" would be happier if the team went 0-12 - then they could really be critical.

When Pat Reusse is more positive about the Gopher FB team than some of the alleged Gopher "Fans,"
I have to wonder why anyone would consider buying a ticket to a game, or why any recruit would consider playing FB at the U of M when the fan base is this negative.

I hate that the best reason we have for optimism is that their team is bad rather than our team being good.

1. We have a very good secondary.
2. The defense is playing well.
3. Streveler has excellent quickness, 10 yard speed.
4. The offensive line is settled.
5. We need to focus on who we are, not what someone thinks we should be
6. We run better from a spread on tightend flex. Than from the Bunch formation.
7. We must show the ability to move the ball, get first downs from the first series to the last.
8. This would be the game to unleash counters to the speed option.
9. Score first and silence the crowd. Score again and make them turn on Brady. Get some cat calls going.
10. Bring Back the Jug and Set Brady's coaching seat on fire.

Michigan is Michigan.

Does not matter that Michigan is "down" as some like to say. They still have a collection of outstanding athletes, one of the most accomplished coaching staffs and the largest, most dedicated fan-base in the game. None of this will change in the lifetime of anyone reading this.

It is possible for Minnesota to win. But it will take a hell of an effort and pretty much zero mistakes.

Michigan is Michigan.

Does not matter that Michigan is "down" as some like to say. They still have a collection of outstanding athletes, one of the most accomplished coaching staffs and the largest, most dedicated fan-base in the game. None of this will change in the lifetime of anyone reading this.

It is possible for Minnesota to win. But it will take a hell of an effort and pretty much zero mistakes.

Agree with the last statement. We can't have 10 penalties like this weekend and expect to win. We have to win the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. I think we can do this on offense, but with the young kids we've had to bring onto the defensive side, it may be a day where UM's offense looks better than usual. At the same time, can UM stop the option?

I think it's not only possible that MN wins, but it is the best chance we've had in 10 years. Time to start winning the trophy games and no better time than this upcoming weekend.

Michigan will win because they are number one in the conference in total defense and number three in the league against the run at 80 yards a game. Minnesota will have difficulty moving the football. Cobb will have a 20 carry, 60 yard game. Pass offense just does not exist. Michigan is at home and will move the ball just enough to win. Sad to say, but that is how it looks to pan out. Especially if Funchess is back.

Michigan is Michigan.

One of my character flaws involves checking our opponent's message boards the night of a loss for sweet schadenfreude.

The Michigan fans, at least the ones that bother to post, are folding up their chairs. Looking through the posts "worst team in 50 years", " I can't take it, I'm done" are common refrains.

They are spoiled children. While unlikely to go through 50 years of mediocrity and lose fan and donor support it is a delicious time for me. One of my old friends is THE epitome of the annoying michigan grad/fan.

7. We must show the ability to move the ball, get first downs from the first series to the last.
9. Score first and silence the crowd. Score again and make them turn on Brady. Get some cat calls going.

I really like this post. Nicely done Husker.

I hope your right Husker70.

Gophers execute this plan and limit turnovers and they actually have a shot. It is difficult to run this type of offense against strong seven man fronts.
This is still Michigan though, even when Michigan seems to stink it doesn't seem to matter. Hstory would indicate they are more than capable of kicking the Gophers butts especially in Ann Arbor.
Even when down for some reason they get up to play the Gophers and the Jug is like Kryptonite to the Gophers.
Your observations are astute Husker, I hope the Gophers win but have seen far to many beat-downs to be optimistic about it. Gardner seems to be a voodo DR against the Gophers.
That is why they play the games though. There going to have to be able to execute the fakes even better than yesterday and use counter action.
Strevlar impresses with his quickness but taking that kind of pounding in the Big 10 is asking for the 3rd string qb to end up playing.

We will definitely need to be better than our first four games if we want to be competitive in this one. This Michigan team has proven that they cannot hang with teams that have similar/superior talent. The Gophers, unfortunately, do are not one of these teams...this would still be a massive upset and our best road victory probably since the last time we won at Michigan. If we were healthy, I'd be much more optimistic but we are a shell of the team we envisioned in August. To be honest, I've pretty much put aside the thought of anything too magical occurring this season...basically, I just hope we beat Northwestern, Purdue and Illinois to keep the bowl streak alive and chalk this season up to some bad luck. (please save this post and shove it down my throat when we do something special...I'll be happier than anyone!)

OPTIMISM:
It must be our turn.
Of our 24 wins (four) vs Michigan...12 are in Ann Arbor.
We beat Michigan in 1977, 1986, screwed up in 1995 and then we had to wait again until 2005 to win.
Now it's 2014 which likely makes us favorites for anyone who sees the pattern. In addition in 1934 (four)
we started a nine game win streak versus Michigan. In 1960 we started a four game winning streak versus Michigan. We have won 3 of the last 42 times we have played making the fourth win imminent. 2014
is the year of the Gophers in Ann Arbor. Leidner just might complete 14 of 14 passes just for fun too as
Michigan commits 4 turnovers in our 4th win.

Who can sell us hope that the Gophers can beat Michigan this week? Strevlar is fast and can run the read option well, sometimes the Gophers play defense well.
We have seen this broken record before. Michigan appears to be struggling in the non-conference schedule and then it is like the flip a switch when they see
Minnesota on the schedule. Suddenly #98 Devin Gardner flips it, becomes magic and everything he throws up is completed or he escapes a Gophers pressure
and rips off a big run. Fuenchess heats up and gets open constantly and catches ball after ball for a first down.
Who can sell us that the Gophers can get by with no passing game and can get off the field against Michigan on third down?
After yesterdays play calling and turnovers, and the QB trying to prove he is linebacker tough guy, this seems like the same old Michigan beatdown
before the Gophers even play the game. One thing is for sure Michigan sees the Minnesota Jersey's and they see red like a bull in a China Shop.
They already have the mental edge even if they have been stinking up the joint, how do the Gophers win next week? I think like a lot a people am not seeing it.
Gardner seems to always be magical against the Gophers, why should this game be any different?

I thought it was just me, lol...

I seen all this "Gophers can beat a struggling Michigan" crap & I'm just like not falling for it this time...

It probably won't be any different. Michigan has a lot to play for, we can't pass, and Gardner has field days against us. Could be a blowout.

The lack of the Jet-sweep better have been kept back to unleash Berkely Edwards with it to scorched the team that
scorched him....if not, I blame (if I haven't already) all impotency of the offensive play calling squarely on Jerry Kill aka Mr Run or Punt.

No more excuses, no more "were keeping it for the B1G schedule".

This is it. We have 3 very capable and legit threats to run the play that worked over and over and over for us last year
when Claeys was acting head coach. If they continue to fore go calling that play, especially with the lack of capability
wth the forward pass, well then...you know.

This game is well within our reach, and by all means, we should win this without fluke, but pure domination. It all comes
down to whether Kill will trim some of his stubbornness and ego, open up the play book to some 'trick' plays and make this
offense less one-dimensional and predictable. Option football may work against no-defense SJSU, but not against Mich or
the rest of the B1G.

The lack of the Jet-sweep better have been kept back to unleash Berkely Edwards with it to scorched the team that
scorched him....if not, I blame (if I haven't already) all impotency of the offensive play calling squarely on Jerry Kill aka Mr Run or Punt.

No more excuses, no more "were keeping it for the B1G schedule".

This is it. We have 3 very capable and legit threats to run the play that worked over and over and over for us last year
when Claeys was acting head coach. If they continue to fore go calling that play, especially with the lack of capability
wth the forward pass, well then...you know.

This game is well within our reach, and by all means, we should win this without fluke, but pure domination. It all comes
down to whether Kill will trim some of his stubbornness and ego, open up the play book to some 'trick' plays and make this
offense less one-dimensional and predictable. Option football may work against no-defense SJSU, but not against Mich or
the rest of the B1G.

We're keeping the playbook closed until next year. Strategery.

I have seen little to believe that we have the horses to win at Michiguuuuuuuuuun even though they have stunk it up thus far. The Gophers failed badly against the one talented team we faced thus far; TCU and that trend will continue Saturday.

364127.jpg

Gophers will win because I'm going - look forward to seeing any other "holers" in Ann Arbor -

Michigan does seem to be a bad matchup for us. They have a good run D and a mobile QB. As bad as Gardner has been, he has had 2 of his best games against us. Keep him in the pocket and make him beat you with his arm. Our DB play will be much better than in last year's game where Gardner was getting lucky with bad throws because we weren't playing the ball well. Play good D and make enough plays in the pass game to keep their defense honest so we have some running room, and I could see us winning a low scoring game.

Michigan does seem to be a bad matchup for us. They have a good run D and a mobile QB. As bad as Gardner has been, he has had 2 of his best games against us. Keep him in the pocket and make him beat you with his arm. Our DB play will be much better than in last year's game where Gardner was getting lucky with bad throws because we weren't playing the ball well. Play good D and make enough plays in the pass game to keep their defense honest so we have some running room, and I could see us winning a low scoring game.

It's true Gardner can run, but in the last two years he hasn't so much torched us with his legs as with his arm. In the previous two meetings, he has had 17 carries for 38 net yards. At the same time, he's gone 25-38 for 469 (12.3 yards per attempt) and 3 TDs. Over the course of his career, he has averaged 8.6 ypa. Pretty big difference.

To your point, we need to get better play from a pass-coverage perspective if we want to keep him in check.

One of the reasons Gardner has torched Gopher defense is because of to much time.

It's true Gardner can run, but in the last two years he hasn't so much torched us with his legs as with his arm. In the previous two meetings, he has had 17 carries for 38 net yards. At the same time, he's gone 25-38 for 469 (12.3 yards per attempt) and 3 TDs. Over the course of his career, he has averaged 8.6 ypa. Pretty big difference.
To your point, we need to get better play from a pass-coverage perspective if we want to keep him in check.

The reason Gardner has torched the Gophers is because he has been able to shake the pass rush, keep running down the line of scrimmage and then find the open man that someone abandoneed to come up and try to stop Gardner and then he finds the open man heaves a bad throw and it still get's there.
There have been times also where Gardners has had so much time behind his O-line that he could have made up a pizza, put it in an oven and then cooked the damn thing, eat a slice have a second to enjoy the taste, and then he was still able to throw a pass and complete it.
Gophers have a good secondary and can cover for a long time but you cannot ask your secondary guys to cover that long on an island. If they are going to have any hope the defensive front not only has to get pressure, they have to surround the guy not let him escape and bat down his passes if need be. This game is going to be a huge challenge for the Gophers front 7, Gardner has always excelled against our group, it will be up to the front seven of the defense if the Gophers and the O-line to control the line of scrimmage against Michigcan for them to have a chance to win the game. Historically the Gophers have just not been able to do that. That is the big challenge of this game, can the Gopher O-line and Defensive line hang with Michigan and play with their level of physicality, so far it remains to be seen.

The Gophers do have a good chance to win this game...
1. Defense will need to be solid and consistent... cannot stop two plays and then allow the 23 yard scramble.. etc. Will need 2-3 takeaways.
2. Offense will need to execute flawlessly, and go with very few three and outs. Will need to work in perhaps 12-15 successfull passing plays. I would look for them to throw off the rollout, and mix in some passing across the middle, which we have not yet seen this year. KJ Maye may want to use some stickum on his hands. No dropping catchable throws.
3. Eliminate penalties on both sides of the ball... some real boneheads last weekend allowed SJSU to maintain possession.

A relaxed and confident Gophers team can and should win this game and here is how:
1. Damien Wilson and the back 7 are really good. They can tackle and create turnovers. Take away Funchess and stuff the run. This can be done.
2. Offense needs to limit mistakes and play loose. Let's see B. Edwards have a coming out party and add more heat to Hokes seat. Like others have mentioned jet sweeps, and dragging the tight ends across the middle. The coaching staff has been saving these plays right??
3. The arrival of a dominant offensive line starts this weekend. The Gophers go as far as this veteran led group. Pass protection and wearing out the Michigan with a solid running game could take the life out of their defense by the 4th quarter.
4. Pound R. Williams in the second half (Gary Russell anyone).
5. The D Line needs to hold their lanes and contain Devin Gardner.

Enjoy the game Gopher fans!

Top Bottom