If we were to beat Michigan, would Hoke be fired the following Monday?

Sparlimb

Reaction score
I don't read a lot on Michigan, but it is clear Hoke is in hot water there. How hot is the question. And would a loss to perennial easy win (from a Mich perspective) be enough to seal the deal?

Possible, at a minimum it would likely make his dismissal just a matter of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just peeked over at Michigan's rivals site. They are a firestorm over there discussing new coaches and how god awful there team is. Next week may be a tough game to watch...

I could see him getting fired at the end of the season but not after this game. Your preposition is that the Gophers beat Michigan this week. As bad as Hoke seems to the Michgan folks,
Kill hasn't even come close to beating Michigan as Gophers coach. Gophers have shown signs of having a leaky defense that is vulnerable to explosive playmakers.
Gophers do not have an explosive play call or anyone that can currently execute it on offense. This is classic Michigan circles the wagons and kicks the Gophers butts week.
Hoke has owned Kill so I don't see why this week would be any different.

I could see him getting fired at the end of the season but not after this game. Your preposition is that the Gophers beat Michigan this week. As bad as Hoke seems to the Michgan folks,
Kill hasn't even come close to beating Michigan as Gophers coach. Gophers have shown signs of having a leaky defense that is vulnerable to explosive playmakers.
Gophers do not have an explosive play call or anyone that can currently execute it on offense. This is classic Michigan circles the wagons and kicks the Gophers butts week.

I sure don't see any reason to think this year will be different either. But that's sort of the point. One week after losing to Utah, if they lost a second home game in a row to a team they always beat, would that be the end.

I think he's gone, it's just a matter of when. I doubt they'd pull the trigger as soon as next week though.

I expect Michigan to come out very strong on Saturday

I think Minnesota is a position to bring home the jug.

I expect Michigan to be the same Michigan that has shown up (not shown up) for 4 weeks. I expect the Woofs to play not like they want Hoke fired, but more like they want him executed. He's a moron's moron, and it's starting to show.

It will be a miracle if the Gophers can pull an upset over the Wolverines. But, I think it is football pride week this coming week in Michigan. They'll be up for a team they've beaten almost regularly.

There is still a chance...

1) no, not before week 10 if he does grt fired.
2) We have a one dimensional offense and they have a very good DC.
3) They have Gardner and we can't tackle him.

Kind of a no-win situation for the Gophers.
If we win, it's over a crappy team
If we lose, it's to a crappy team.

Your preposition is that the Gophers beat Michigan this week.

Yes, that was his condition, but this was a conditional question so without that condition there is no question. Duh.

As far as the second statement, well, there's a first time for almost everything. I'm not saying this will be the first time, but under the circumstances of the current Michigan team, it wouldn't be regarded as one of the biggest conference upsets of the century. In fact, I wouldn't even rank it as one of Minnesota's biggest upsets of this century. I would say that Minnesota's (2-9 at the time) 2010 season ending victory over an Iowa team one season removed from a BCS bowl victory would have been a much bigger one. That victory was also only two seasons removed from Iowa's infamous 55-0 victory at the Metrodome.

As to the main question, I don't know whether Hoke would be fired almost immediately, but you would have to think that a loss next week just might push the administration into the point of no return for a termination decision unless there was dramatic improvement in the rest of the season.

I agree that a win wouldn't carry the same luster as before, but it would still be pretty big for the Gophers' season. Let's face it, unless the Gophers' remaining season is far superior to what anyone imagines at present, they're not going to sniff the rankings so only wins matter. If they beat Michigan, they have to beat only two of Illinois, Northwestern, and Purdue to be bowl eligible and, if they can get seven wins by winning all three or beating Iowa along with two, they are less likely to be assigned to the lowest rated Big Ten bowl this season.

I agree that a win wouldn't carry the same luster as before, but it would still be pretty big for the Gophers' season. Let's face it, unless the Gophers' remaining season is far superior to what anyone imagines at present, they're not going to sniff the rankings so only wins matter. If they beat Michigan, they have to beat only two of Illinois, Northwestern, and Purdue to be bowl eligible and, if they can get seven wins by winning all three or beating Iowa along with two, they are less likely to be assigned to the lowest rated Big Ten bowl this season.

True, and it's always nice to win the jug. I'm just thinking it won't have the same feeling as the other few times we've won it in the last 30 years. I could very well be wrong.

Can UM stop the "Barry Switzer" option? This years Michigan team is as bad as I've seen in years. If we can't take it to them this year then we might as well stop playing for the jug. Saturdays game will be an old school Big Ten game with 3 yards and a cloud of dust, which is exactly the type of game Minnesota is set-up to win. I'm looking forward to that trophy being on display at TCF.

As for Hoke, the shutout by ND is one bookend and the loss to OSU will be the other bookend. I give the AD exactly 30 seconds after the OSU game to pull the plug on Hoke.

Let me think.... Nope. I couldn't disagree more.

If the game was at TCF, I'd feel really good about winning the game (similar to last year's Nebraska or Penn St game). But, during the Kill era, I don't remember our boys coming up big on the road at a high profile school.

I don't read a lot on Michigan, but it is clear Hoke is in hot water there. How hot is the question. And would a loss to perennial easy win (from a Mich perspective) be enough to seal the deal?

I'll personally ignore the odds (I think Utah might be a lot better than people give them credit) and just respond to the question.

Even if the Gophers go in and absolutely embarrass MI he doesn't get fired after the game in my opinion.

That said, they have a bye week October 18. They play Rutgers and Penn State after MN. If he is 1-2 and the 1 is either MN or Rutgers I could see it happening. If he is 0-3 I'd almost be surprised if they didn't can him. Then again, Dave Brandon has at times made Maturi look like a genius, so nothing would surprise me. Maybe he'll extend Hoke now and can him after the season? :)

No, they will stick with him until the end of the season (unless they lose their first 3 B1G games).

Do you think Michigan will practice how to defend the Gophers read option this week? :cool02:

Hoke probably needs to beat both MSU and OSU to save his job. Both are on the road. Good luck with that.

Don't know if I'm onboard with this line of thinking. I agree a win for us wouldn't carry the same kind of luster as it would against a halfway competent Michigan team, but it would still be a trophy win against a team we haven't beat since 2005. If we open the B1G season with a road win and a trophy, we can feel good. You are right on the other front, if we lose, it is to a crappy Michigan team.

It doesn't matter, Hoke is gone after this year no matter what. Jim Harbaugh will be the coach in 2015.

All I know is this. If we win, I won't care one bit that Michigan is down this year. I would likely do the same thing the last time we won it. Visit the trophy and take a swig from it!!

Top Bottom