ESPN Big Ten helmet stickers: Week 4 (Minnesota: David Cobb)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN's Helmet Stickers:

Minnesota RB David Cobb: How important was Cobb to the Gophers’ 24-7 win over San Jose State? Well, first off, Minnesota completed just one pass, so there was really no other offensive support to speak of. And, second of all, Cobb accounted for more than 53 percent of the Gophers’ entire offense as he rushed for 207 yards and two touchdowns. Minnesota ran 65 offensive plays, and Cobb ran the ball 34 times. San Jose State knew what was coming, but it couldn’t stop him anyway. Cobb averaged 6.1 yards a carry.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/107681/big-ten-helmet-stickers-week-4-6

Go Gophers!!

BTN's Week 4 Big Ten offensive performances:

3. David Cobb, RB, Minnesota. How do you win a game by only completing one pass? It certainly helps when you have David Cobb in the backfield. The Gophers’ senior back carried the ball 24 times for 207 yards and two touchdowns in Minnesota’s 24-7 victory over San Jose State. This was Cobb’s second 200-plus yard rushing game this year.

http://btn.com/2014/09/20/ranking-week-4-big-ten-offensive-performances-2/

Go Gophers!!

I think he has to average about 50 yards a game from here on out to hit 1000 again. Talk about making hay while the sun shines.

I think he has to average about 50 yards a game from here on out to hit 1000 again. Talk about making hay while the sun shines.

Cobb has been awesome for us and one of the few bright spots on the offense so far this season but I really hope we can reduce the number of carries he has to get each game because 30+ in a game is way too many for any back if you want to keep them healthy for the full season.

He has proven to be very durable but he is already pushing 100 carries through 4 games. Coming into the season I think we all felt the depth at RB was pretty good yet Cobb has really been the only effective guy to this point in the year. Going to need those other guys to share some of the load over the remainder of the season.

Most of the top workhorse backs will be around 300 carries. I hope he gets there because that means a) we're winning, and b) he's healthy all year.

per ESPN's Helmet Stickers:

Minnesota RB David Cobb: How important was Cobb to the Gophers’ 24-7 win over San Jose State? Well, first off, Minnesota completed just one pass, so there was really no other offensive support to speak of. And, second of all, Cobb accounted for more than 53 percent of the Gophers’ entire offense as he rushed for 207 yards and two touchdowns. Minnesota ran 65 offensive plays, and Cobb ran the ball 34 times. San Jose State knew what was coming, but it couldn’t stop him anyway. Cobb averaged 6.1 yards a carry.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/107681/big-ten-helmet-stickers-week-4-6

Go Gophers!!
I feel like the bolded part is a little misleading. Okay, the passing game isn't great, but they really didn't need it during the game because of how Cobb and Streveler were running, not the other way around.

I feel like the bolded part is a little misleading. Okay, the passing game isn't great, but they really didn't need it during the game because of how Cobb and Streveler were running, not the other way around.

Did you get the feeling that the passing game could carry us if Cobb/Streveler were not able to run at will in that game? I sure didn't. Thankfully SJSU defense had no answer for the read option and could not figure out how to stop it.

Did you get the feeling that the passing game could carry us if Cobb/Streveler were not able to run at will in that game? I sure didn't. Thankfully SJSU defense had no answer for the read option and could not figure out how to stop it.
No. But they *were* able to run at will. And because of that they only attempted 7 passes. I'm still disappointed they got the one reception.

No. But they *were* able to run at will. And because of that they only attempted 7 passes. I'm still disappointed they got the one reception.

All for taking what the opponent is giving you. Problem is that we clearly have some major issues in the passing game and those non-conf games against weak competition would have been a great time to try and get some of that ironed out before Big Ten play starts. It would be one thing if we could feel confident the passing game will be there when we need it, but I don't know how anyone in their right mind could feel that way based on what we have seen to date.

Top Bottom