Assuming optimal health for each....

balds

Reaction score
Who plays/starts next week at QB?

if both are healthy they probably go back to Mitch. The offense that worked against SJSU is unlikely to work nearly as well against Michigan and Leidner probably has the better overall grasp of the whole offense....not that either of them inspires a ton of confidence at the moment.

Who plays/starts next week at QB?

Rhoda.

Seriously, I think it's fairly obvious Leidner is not the answer. He's an avg at best runner w/ major fumbling issues, below avg as a passer. Strevler is a very good runner, whom the coaches think so little of as a passer they attempted 7 today, and never once gave him a shot until Leidner was too hurt to play. If Perra is far and away the best option, I'd burn the redshirt, if not, I'd give a real look to Rhoda

David Pittman.

Seriously, Streveler. Neither QB is allowed to throw, so might as well have the fastest of the two, who also is more aggressive.

The coaches come back with a healthier Leidner and Maxx Williams next week. We finally see some effective jet sweeps and play action passes.

My feeling is Leidner's injuries will keep him out another 2 weeks. Problem is, we won't be able to run on Michigan like SJSU. if we can contain Gardner and Funchess (no easy task) and keep it close anything can happen.

Streveler's issues aren't going away overnight. I'd actually feel better about this one if Leidner can perform. If he can't go well see a lot more passing next week.

Not really sure. My gut says Mitch.

Whoever runs that read option the best this week. We're not beating anyone through the air. Key will be stopping UMs running attack and staying turnover free. If we score on D or special teams, we could be in for an upset. Both offenses are pretty putrid outside of their running games.

Assuming they are both healthy and given the apparent lack of confidence they have in Streveler throwing the ball, I'm guessing they'd go with Leidner. I just think they'd struggle being so one dimensional going forward. Having said that, I'd also like them to take the shackles off of Leidner from running the ball though going forward, I think that was limiting his effectiveness.

Assuming they are both healthy and given the apparent lack of confidence they have in Streveler throwing the ball, I'm guessing they'd go with Leidner. I just think they'd struggle being so one dimensional going forward. Having said that, I'd also like them to take the shackles off of Leidner from running the ball though going forward, I think that was limiting his effectiveness.

+1

This is the most important point. Leidner was effective last year because he had a lot of designed runs, and he was good at them. They mostly eliminated designed runs this year...he rushed 21 times in three games. Those were mostly scrambles after not finding someone to pass it to.

Streveler comes in and has 18 rushes (almost all designed) and looks great.

I think if they are rotating both guys, allowing them to rush and mixing in some play action/naked bootleg...we can get to 4 wins in the BT.

Regardless of who starts, both QB's will play (assuming they are both healthy). using both reduces the number of hits each QB takes in the run game, and increases the chance that at least 1 QB will be able to get something going in the passing game. Also, if the QB's are going to run the ball a lot, using 2 QB's should help by the 4th Qtr, so you can have relatively fresh legs in the game.

If healthy, I believe Leidner will start... for no reason other than tenure. But, I think that both will see game time...
Gophers by 9.

I'd rather see Leidner. We'll need to make a few plays in the passing game against Michigan and he's our best bet to accomplish that in my opinion.

I care more about who finishes the game. It makes sense to have them both play and have that be part of the game plan. Throw Mitch out there to keep them (a bit) more honest. He knows the offense better, he can hobble and run if he must. But also design some packages around Chris' newly found legs.

I agree that both need to play. Streveler already has a longer run (30yds) than Leidner has had (27yds). Leidner's longest run this year is 10 yds. He is not fast enough to run this team with this lack of balance in passing.

I care more about who finishes the game. It makes sense to have them both play and have that be part of the game plan. Throw Mitch out there to keep them (a bit) more honest. He knows the offense better, he can hobble and run if he must. But also design some packages around Chris' newly found legs.

Yeah, even if Leidner is healthy and starts I'd be fine with giving Streveler and the read-option a shot for a different look. I just don't see the coaches going that route though since they've been so adamant about Mitch being "the guy" all offseason.

If Mitch is healthy, I'm 100% certain we'll see both of them.

Unless Mitch hangs 35 in the first half, in which case...

I hated how we would bring Gray in for 1 of 2 plays at a time and it was always a run. If they play both, I sure hope they split it up by full series.

Top Bottom