October 21, 1972

Nomellini

Reaction score
Gophers trash Iowa, 43-14, to present Cal Stoll with his first win. Gophers have 402 yards on the ground, 173 by John King and 135 by Doug Beaudoin, but they complete no passes. Kind of like today!

Thanks for the historical context!

Back to the future? On to The Big House!

Go Gophers!

Gophers trash Iowa, 43-14, to present Cal Stoll with his first win. Gophers have 402 yards on the ground, 173 by John King and 135 by Doug Beaudoin, but they complete no passes. Kind of like today!

I don't remember that one. I was almost 1 and my parents didn't take me to football games yet.

Further research has revealed that the Gophers also won games in 1972 against Northwestern and Wisconsin while completing ZERO passes. That makes an amazing trifecta! Had to love that "veer" offense that Stoll installed.

I had just moved to Ohio(ten days earlier) and was probably at the First Annual Bob Evans Chicken Flying Contest that day.

For some reason I'm thinking the reporting at a chicken flying contest would sound something like this:

Close but not quite:

" For 20 years, fans of flying fowl have gathered in the rural town of Rio Grande, Ohio, where Bob Evans Farms Inc. has been host of the annual International Chicken Flying Meet. The bird that flew farthest won. In years gone by, a mailbox atop a 10-foot-tall pole was the starting line, of sorts, and a human coach would try to coax a contestant with encouraging words and the gentle prod of a toilet plunger. (Associated Press)"

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/05/18/business/the-day-the-chickens-stood-still.html

466655799_a4026c99b6_z.jpg

Top Bottom