Quick Observations

Iceland12

Reaction score
- Gophers ran the ball very well.
- The Defense looked good.
- The Refs had an "interesting" game.
- The P.A. guy told us that a dangerous weather situation was coming, but please stay "in attendance".
- The passing game was (fill in a negative term) then make it worse.
- We won. SJSU lost.
- Michigan looks awful.
- On to the Big House.

In trying to look at the glass half full, Streveler seems to see the field (and read the defense and DE) better than Leidner. Even though our passing game wasn't good, he did make correct reads on where to get the ball to (small sample size and for the most part).

Okay, that's definitely a "Glass half full" assessment. Our passing game "wasn't good" huh? :drink:

I'll just stick with half way to a bowl game. We aren't going anywhere special this year. We're not going to be arguing at the end year about getting passed over for a bowl. So 6 wins and Detroit will look good come December.

How can you judge the passing game when we never threw except on third down obvious passing situations? I give our passing game an "incomplete due to zero confidence in or given by OC"

Wayyyy too early to be Pessimistic. Let's all talk in three weeks

How can you judge the passing game when we never threw except on third down obvious passing situations? I give our passing game an "incomplete due to zero confidence in or given by OC"

1 for 7 for 5 yards and an interception. "Incomplete"? Yeah, that word did come up...

- Gophers ran the ball very well.
- The Defense looked good.
- The Refs had an "interesting" game.
- The P.A. guy told us that a dangerous weather situation was coming, but please stay "in attendance".
- The passing game was (fill in a negative term) then make it worse.
- We won. SJSU lost.
- Michigan looks awful.
- On to the Big House.

- Got the first Field Goal of the season too.

What happened on the 12 men on the field penalty?
Couldn't see it at the game.
Could hear Kill yell, "that's bull****" from where we were sitting.

What happened on the 12 men on the field penalty?
Couldn't see it at the game.
Could hear Kill yell, "that's bull****" from where we were sitting.

The 2nd one right? On that one the radio guys said he was screaming that they all got off the field in time.

- TCF was pretty empty at the end because of the "dangerous weather" and one hour plus delay. LSU Tiger Stadium (Death Valley) is less than half full now because Mississippi State is kicking their ass. Advantage Gophers.

- The LSU fans who left have streamed back in or could be missing a heck of a comeback. Or maybe not. :drink:

Strev has much better wheels than Leidner but man o man he is going to get his head knocked off if he keeps taking hits like that. Looked like he thought he was Joe Kapp out there.

Defense is sound. Passing game still more questions...... Referees were for (bleep). Special teams did fine. Running game was
sound. Streveler is a gamer. He's a tough kid. I'd venture to guess he might be a better passer than he's been allowed to be.
He runs like a runaway truck, though.

Defense is sound. Passing game still more questions...... Referees were for (bleep). Special teams did fine. Running game was
sound. Streveler is a gamer. He's a tough kid. I'd venture to guess he might be a better passer than he's been allowed to be.
He runs like a runaway truck, though.

I'm scared he won't make it two conference games if he continues to take hits like that. Not really sure what the answer is though as we need him to run, especially if we continue to keep it on the ground all the time.

Right about the play calls. Before the delay, when we had the ball within the 10, I believe, I would have crammed three plays right up the gut. If
we don't score a TD, which I think we would have, we kick a FG to go up 20-7. Instead, we get cute and throw an INT.

My thoughts exact! Although I do see better accuracy in Streveler than Liedner.

Kill said in post game that SJSU played their safety deep allowing us to run the ball and QB. They never changed at the half and there was no reason to throw the ball. There were a couple drops in there. Streveler played very good for his first start.

Strev has much better wheels than Leidner but man o man he is going to get his head knocked off if he keeps taking hits like that. Looked like he thought he was Joe Kapp out there.
Had the same feelings - he was wincing at times and eventually would be put on the sideline with Leidner. We need a QWB who can pass!

Had the same feelings - he was wincing at times and eventually would be put on the sideline with Leidner. We need a QWB who can pass!

And yet with running backs doing the same thing game after game after game we all shout "what a great player". Don't get it.

And yet with running backs doing the same thing game after game after game we all shout "what a great player". Don't get it.

I was kind of thinking the same thing before the game today. I will say though, Streveler took some serious shots today, including one fairly obvious late hit that wasn't called.

I gotta say, he ran the read-option really, really well today. He seemed to make the right call on when to keep just about every time; Leidner almost seems to just guess, or he's got his mind made up pretty early in the play if he's keeping it or giving it.

I honestly don't know who should start Saturday in the Big House. I get the feeling Streveler is better for the team over the long haul, but perhaps Leidner is the only chance they have to win Saturday. The only certain thing is, there's no way Leidner should play if he's not absolutely healthy. He's worthless if he's not moving full speed.

The whole QB taking too many hits only applies to straight drop back QBs and the pros. Most college QBs are RBs. End of analysis.

I agree with most of the original post, but I have serious doubts that the running game displayed today is repeatable against real competition. Streveler ran the ball well and perhaps more importantly, appeared to make great decisions on the read plays. I thought the defense had some very good moments and a few concerning ones (the too easy long completion, getting burned for a td on the bubble screen, a couple deep balls that are TD's if it was another QB/WR combo that were incompletions today) and that special teams were solid outside of the return game. Overall, it felt like a sloppy game on both sides with the Gophers dominating the line of scrimmage.

We've seen in the Gophers one game against real opposition that this read run game is not a foundation for a successful offense by itself and that those 7,8...12 yard gains that occur against the SJSU's of the world tend to become 2 or 3 yard gains far too often against a BCS front seven. I understand the need to be somewhat conservative in this game given the circumstances, but I also feel like not giving the passing game reps in the non-conference schedule (again) is a major mistake. Asking Leidner/Streveler and the receiving options to execute on 3rd and 6 against Michigan with so little game reps is a recipe for disaster (just like at TCU). I just don't see this team as prepared to go in and win at a very, very poor Michigan squad which is too bad. Some will excuse a loss as "it's Michigan" and ignore that Utah just put it on them.

Highlight of the day for me was Eric Murray's interception. This game could have gotten real dicey if the Gophers go in to halftime with Cobb's goal line fumble being their last play and an inexperienced QB having yet to complete a pass in an uncomfortably close game.

This was exactly what I was telling people. You are spot on. We can't even judge how good Streveler is if he only threw on 3rd downs or if not on 3rd downs threw them deep which I thought that one to Maye which should have been caught was a perfect thrown ball. To give us a real glimpse of him as a passer and to help get more confident in himself, they have to pass streveler more on 1st and 2nd downs where Streveler knows if he doesnt complete the pass the drive is not over. On 3rd downs, Streveler feels more pressured to complete a pass more than a 1st or 2nd down. I know, a good QB needs to not be pressured even on 3rd downs but he is a RS Fr and has hardly has any game experience. Give him some of those short pass routes or any route so that Streveler can just focus on his pass game and not be worried about completing it and forcing a bad pass. I quite frankly think the entire pass game is up in the air even with Leidner. There is a lot of football left for the gophers and that means a lot more plays. Kill and the coaching staff have barely ran any pass plays this year. I'm going to wait and see what happens next week against Michigan. Go Gophers and beat Michigan.

1. Winning a game while completing only 1 pass would be bad a$$, if we had a passing game and just didn't need to use it.
2. Just because SJSU is giving us the run doesn't mean we should completely abandon the pass. I'd feel differently if we were running the ball that well in a B1G game, but the purpose of playing SJSU isn't just to win, it's to prepare for the B1G.
3. It's the 4th year a row where a Jerry Kill team has lost a QB early to an injury. If the passing game was working better, QBs wouldn't have to run as much, and we wouldn't be in the position every year where we're starting a true/redshirt freshman in the middle of the season.

I'm still waiting to see the game replayed on TV (I'll be waiting a long time, right?) but the radio crew said Streveler threw the ball okay and the receivers were at fault for drops. Were they wrong?

I'm still waiting to see the game replayed on TV (I'll be waiting a long time, right?) but the radio crew said Streveler threw the ball okay and the receivers were at fault for drops. Were they wrong?

I would say he had some poor throws, but he had other throws that were on-target and the ball was dropped or the d-backs made good plays. on the long throw to Maye, the d-back timed his move and chopped Maye's arms right after the ball got there, so I don't give Maye all the blame on that ball.
There were a couple of throws that were on-target, but delivered just a little bit too late, allowing the d-backs to close on the ball and make plays.

Bottom line, Streveler seems to throw a decent spiral, and has a fairly quick (short-arm) release. I think the issues (problems) are correctable. I don't think he's ever going to be a 250-300 yds/game passer, but he can be serviceable.

There were a couple of drops, a couple of misses and couple he looked tentative. Really hard to tell much. Pretty obvious the coaches did not want him to throw much and that they can't be confident in his passing...........why? We can only guess.

Definitely a better runner.

I watched on btn2go last night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kill said in post game that SJSU played their safety deep allowing us to run the ball and QB. They never changed at the half and there was no reason to throw the ball. There were a couple drops in there. Streveler played very good for his first start.

I thought Greg Robinson was some defensive genius. Why wouldn't he dare the Gophers to throw the ball? :confused:

Top Bottom