What grade would you give Chris Streveler in his first career start?

What grade for Streveler?

• A

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • B

Votes: 74 52.1%
  • C

Votes: 46 32.4%
  • D

Votes: 13 9.2%
  • F

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters
So RB get more blows to the head? Nope, no difference. The whole QB taking too many hits only applies to straight drop back QBs and the pros. Most college QBs are RBs. End of analysis.

End of a terrible analysis. News flash, running backs also get hurt all the time. Mobile QBs are much more apt to get hurt than a pocket passer. It's very prevalent in the NCAAs and in the NFL.

Surprised I haven't seen a comment on it - Streveler's reaction when that first and only completion came was pretty funny - sarcastic celebrating and playing to the excessive cheers of what was left of the crowd.

Streveler looked really good running the ball, coaches finally found a qb that can read the DE. I think this lack of passing game will change next week. We are waiting for the Big Ten season to unleash the air assault. They didn't want to get our passing attack on tape for Michigan to be able to prepare adequately... ;/

Surprised I haven't seen a comment on it - Streveler's reaction when that first and only completion came was pretty funny - sarcastic celebrating and playing to the excessive cheers of what was left of the crowd.

Saw that. To be honest, I loved CS5's attitude all game. Kid is a competitor, but was loose and having fun.

Someone on here said Kill doesn't give an F*** what fans/media think about the run/pass ratio. He shouldn't. I don't think CS5 cares either. If we are lucky, none of the players do. Wins are all that matters.

End of a terrible analysis. News flash, running backs also get hurt all the time. Mobile QBs are much more apt to get hurt than a pocket passer. It's very prevalent in the NCAAs and in the NFL.
I'd like to see some data on this.

I was quite happy with Streveler's performance. He ran the option read well as kill said after he game. I think the gophers can do well with this type of offense with an opportunistic defense and good special teams. Remember tebow? Streveler' sno tebow and the gophers are not Florida, but I could definitely see this type of offense getting the gophers three to five wins in the big. That gear that streveler has allows him to get to the outside quickly and pick up large chunks of yards if the defense stacks the box. Plenty of teams run have run the option without injuring the qb. I'm happy with streveler and as many said, his passing has potential.

I was pleasantly surprised by how well Streveler performed. He did not pass well, but he didn't need to against SJSU. I think the game plan yesterday was in large part to heal key players, such as Leidner and Williams, in preparation for Michigan and the rest of the B1G schedule. An almost exclusive run offense with an untested freshman quarterback made perfectly good sense from that perspective. While we're not likely to see a lot of passing for the rest of he season regardless of our quarterback, from here on out we will have to pass more than we did yesterday. Let's hope that aspect of our offense improves significantly.

Kill/Limey's offense needs two QB's. I think Streveler is the better rushing QB, even when Mitch is healthy. Strev is more dynamic as a runner, simple as that. He's VERY fast & he's just got a certain "it" factor. I think Mitch is the better passer & will continue to get better. He's even got the arm/look of an NFL QB. They both have to accept their roles & play as a tandem...for the next few years, and get better. What we can't have is one of them transferring out & then we start another Freshman when the other gets injured.

BINGO! I expect to see both QB's play for the rest of the year. That minimizes the hits each QB takes, and allows a QB with fresh legs in the game. Teams rotate players at other positions with no controversy, so why is there such a to-do when they rotate QB's. After watching Streveler, I am actually more optimistic about the rest of the season.

Honestly, I think some people on this board watch the games, waiting (and hoping) for something to go wrong so they have something to complain about.

Disagree. He's a much more explosive runner than Leidner.

This is true.

Our play selection tells you how bad the coaches think he is as a passer. In the coaches eyes liedner is clearly the better passer. If they were equal passers you have to play CS. He is a much better runner.

So RB get more blows to the head? Nope, no difference. The whole QB taking too many hits only applies to straight drop back QBs and the pros. Most college QBs are RBs. End of analysis.

Your analysis is garbage. We haven't had a QB yet make it to game #4 healthy. Why is that, bad luck?

I gave Streveler a C. Despite a great game on the ground, I can't go higher than that when a QB goes 1-7 passing...

This is true.

Our play selection tells you how bad the coaches think he is as a passer. In the coaches eyes liedner is clearly the better passer. If they were equal passers you have to play CS. He is a much better runner.

There are several things that dictated the play calling. First and foremost the defense was giving us the run. Second, is was working. Third, it was Streveler's first start. He obviously feels comfortable with and is good at the run option. It was best to keep it simple. That makes it is the best game plan for him. Fourth, it takes more time off the clock. Fifth, it gave us the best chance to win the game.

I've also heard that Streveler's arm isn't that strong but more time and plays are needed before we will have a large enough sample to make a proper judgement on his passing skills.

If you honestly believe what you just wrote I feel bad for you

If we are worried about running time off the clock while playing San Jose state it is going to be a long big ten season.

There are several things that dictated the play calling. First and foremost the defense was giving us the run. Second, is was working. Third, it was Streveler's first start. He obviously feels comfortable with and is good at the run option. It was best to keep it simple. That makes it is the best game plan for him. Fourth, it takes more time off the clock. Fifth, it gave us the best chance to win the game.

I've also heard that Streveler's arm isn't that strong but more time and plays are needed before we will have a large enough sample to make a proper judgement on his passing skills.

Well, given the state of the passing game yesterday, running the ball on almost every down did at least result in the first time the Gophers covered the spread this season against their 3 FBS opponents.

Going into next week's game I am at least pretty encouraged by the defense. However, Streveler (who I think should start because of his greater mobility) is going to have to get much more comfortable within the next week throwing the ball, the receivers are going to have to get much more comfortable receiving the ball from him, and the coaches are going to have to get much more comfortable with designing some suitable pass plays for him. Lots of reps will be needed in practice this week.

Michigan may be in the midst of a rough period, but I have serious doubts that they are struggling so badly that they will yield 300+ rushing yards. We managed to beat NW 20-17 with 176 yards rushing last year but had 123 in passing. That was the only Big 10 game we won last year where we had less than 300 yards and we missed the mark by only one yard.

As to the main question, I gave Streveler a B for his first start.

Ran very well, but too much, risking injury. I would like to have seen the coaches let him pass, to get some experience. They could still have won the game.

Ran very well, but too much, risking injury. I would like to have seen the coaches let him pass, to get some experience. They could still have won the game.

I agree. For this offense they should start teaching the running backs to play quarterback. IF you look at Streveler purely as a running back you would consider him small and fragile, no way he lasts the rest of the season in the big ten running the ball this much. Mitch looks like a beefier running back and you would think durable, but look what kind of shape he is in after 3 starts. My prediction is we will see 2 more qb's take snaps this season in games due to injuries to the guys above them.

Kill/Limey's offense needs two QB's. I think Streveler is the better rushing QB, even when Mitch is healthy. Strev is more dynamic as a runner, simple as that. He's VERY fast & he's just got a certain "it" factor. I think Mitch is the better passer & will continue to get better. He's even got the arm/look of an NFL QB. They both have to accept their roles & play as a tandem...for the next few years, and get better. What we can't have is one of them transferring out & then we start another Freshman when the other gets injured.

What are you watching! Please tell me you're not serious.

Streveler named B1G Freshman of the Week….the so called experts thought he did pretty well…and so did I. You folks who gave him a C/D/F have unrealistic expectations for a backup freshman…who hasn't been groomed all year to start. Mostly he needed to not screw up…he did a lot more than that.

Streveler named B1G Freshman of the Week….the so called experts thought he did pretty well…and so did I. You folks who gave him a C/D/F have unrealistic expectations for a backup freshman…who hasn't been groomed all year to start. Mostly he needed to not screw up…he did a lot more than that.

+1 LOL - Not according to some of the GopherHole experts! I am not sure whether to laugh at them or just pity their negativity.

Streveler did what was asked of him, and won the game to boot - while other injured players healed....Period. He does not call the plays... the kid can throw the ball, and you will undoubtedly see some throws off of a roll out this Saturday. We will continue to work with what we have and take what is given.

Streveler has 3 things: speed, toughness, and the ability to read defenses. Get the Jug Chris!

Can you imagine how Nelson felt getting benched for Mitch 'not a qb' Leidner? no wonder the kid left. Streveler will probably feel the same way if Mitch goes back in.

I think Mitch is the better passer & will continue to get better. He's even got the arm/look of an NFL QB.

Oh my God, this can't be serious. Have you seen an NFL QB before? Is this in reference to a different Mitch than the one that plays for the Gophers?

If we're judging by the same standard that we've judged Leidner... D+

I agree. For this offense they should start teaching the running backs to play quarterback. IF you look at Streveler purely as a running back you would consider him small and fragile, no way he lasts the rest of the season in the big ten running the ball this much. Mitch looks like a beefier running back and you would think durable, but look what kind of shape he is in after 3 starts. My prediction is we will see 2 more qb's take snaps this season in games due to injuries to the guys above them.

from official team roster:
Streveler 6-2, 219
Donnell Kirkwood 5-10, 206
Cobb 5-11, 229
Williams 5-11, 247
and Jeff Jones 6-0, 198

Explain why Streveler is "small and fragile" - he is bigger than Kirkwood and only 10 pounds lighter than Cobb - and clearly bigger than prized recruit Jeff Jones. Does that make Jones "small and fragile?"
-

from official team roster: Streveler 6-2, 219 Donnell Kirkwood 5-10, 206 Cobb 5-11, 229 Williams 5-11, 247 and Jeff Jones 6-0, 198 Explain why Streveler is "small and fragile" - he is bigger than Kirkwood and only 10 pounds lighter than Cobb - and clearly bigger than prized recruit Jeff Jones. Does that make Jones "small and fragile?" -

+1. The kid is built like a linebacker too. I don't think anyone would consider him fragile.

He had very few passing plays to run nor was it required. Silly to say he is no better than Leidner.

How many 0.0 passer ratings has Leidner put up in his career? Chris is 1 for 1.

Top Bottom