Detrimental to WR recruits?

Kill's NIU teams threw more than 300 passes in 2 of the 3 seasons Kill coached there. Of course, Harnish was the QB and he was a solid dual-threat guy.

But let's remember, that's the MAC. Totally different brand of ball.

Brand?

Do you guys really think we have no other receivers on the team that have "true receiver hands" and can go up and get a ball? Think again. And I'm not talking the freshman WR's.

Kill is loyal to his coaches and to players to a fault. You think there is no one better than freuchte or someone that has better hands the D. Jones and Wolitarsky?? Sometimes coaches promise things to players to get them to come to the school. Like "you will play your first year". Even though they may not be the best at their position and of course the coach has to play them to prove a point since they recruited them so hard.

Maybe the coaches don't recognize the talent (i.e. D Cobb was third string until last year).
You really believe this? No matter what a coach says to get a player on campus the coach is gonna play the player that they feel gives them the best chance to win because winning means job security.

Yes I believe it. If so, why was David Cobb not played until last year. He obviously didn't turn into a stud overnight. They played Kirkwood over him and Cobb only got it because Kirkwood got hurt. Maybe the coaches don't recognize the talent.
You really believe this? No matter what a coach says to get a player on campus the coach is gonna play the player that they feel gives them the best chance to win because winning means job security.

Let's hope they keep the red shirt on Perra & McKinzy because those two need time to develop, and I think they have potential to do better at passing.

The passing play is really an achilles heel right now. When we go against teams that can stuff the run, we are in trouble.

Yes I believe it. If so, why was David Cobb not played until last year. He obviously didn't turn into a stud overnight. They played Kirkwood over him and Cobb only got it because Kirkwood got hurt. Maybe the coaches don't recognize the talent.
Cobb struggled horribly with pass blocking and picking up blitzes and most coaches are very hesitant to put RBs in that can't pick up a blitz. Cobb also developed a lot over the summer before his junior year as Kill mentioned him as one of the most improved players going into last season.

Re: Wolitarsky

Body language and effort today from Wolitarsky I would say it's a good bet he won't be back for his junior year with the squad. My guess is he'll head somewhere else where they throw the ball.

Would that be bad? The guy is a mid level NSIC receiver. Dime a dozen guy.

Based off todays first half, along with what we have seen so far this year, do you think it is very detrimental to WR recruits looking at the U?

I don't see why, we can sell the playing time. Our receivers suck, so if you have a pulse you may start.

Nothing personal to you but here comes my sarcasm. Makes sense. He can run over 1000 yds but let's not play him since he doesn't pick up the blitz that doesn't matter anyway because all we do is run the ball.
Cobb struggled horribly with pass blocking and picking up blitzes and most coaches are very hesitant to put RBs in that can't pick up a blitz. Cobb also developed a lot over the summer before his junior year as Kill mentioned him as one of the most improved players going into last season.

Nothing personal to you but here comes my sarcasm. Makes sense. He can run over 1000 yds but let's not play him since he doesn't pick up the blitz that doesn't matter anyway because all we do is run the ball.
I also mentioned how much he developed over the summer before his junior year and that could have made a huge difference. Cobb was sick of sitting on the bench and put in the work over the summer so when he got his opportunity he could make the most of it. Sometimes it takes a while for things to click for certain players and for the game to slow down and that could have easily happened with Cobb. I'll trust that a coaching staff that has been at it for a number of years can identify talent that they are around everyday.

I hear you. Not my belief but to each his own.
I also mentioned how much he developed over the summer before his junior year and that could have made a huge difference. Cobb was sick of sitting on the bench and put in the work over the summer so when he got his opportunity he could make the most of it. Sometimes it takes a while for things to click for certain players and for the game to slow down and that could have easily happened with Cobb. I'll trust that a coaching staff that has been at it for a number of years can identify talent that they are around everyday.

So you believe players are as good as true Freshman as they are when they're Seniors? No one gets better with time? There's no such thing as developing into a better player?

It's obvious that coaches very often fail to identify better talent below players that they play regularly. We just don't agree that the Gopher coaches are purposely excluding better players, which is what you implied in your first post in this thread. ...

... unless those "better" talents are being held out for behavioral issues, which is a different issue altogether.

D. Jones and Wolitarsky are sophomores. Logan Hutton is. Senior but they almost never throw to him ( I know we almost never throw to any of the WR's). Freuchte, no.
I was talking strictly WR's.
So you believe players are as good as true Freshman as they are when they're Seniors? No one gets better with time? There's no such thing as developing into a better player?

I gave you reasons. Can you explain freuchte being first string or playing D Jones rather than a "true receiver"?

IF14 may be listed as a starter, but doesn't play the minutes or get the targets of a starter. He is a blocking WR, but not a receiving threat. Sorry you can't see past the published depth chart.

DJones may be the best athlete on this team. He is still developing. On the field is exactly where DJones should be. You should let the SEC teams that recruited him know he isn't a 'true receiver". Just like with Cobb you expect Fr to be as good as Sr players. Have some patience and stop asking dumb questions.

BigTime receivers go where they think the ball will be put in the air....it's just that simple

Spoofin, I made no disparaging comments about anyone so you can leave yours about me out of this thread.

I agree D. Jones is an exceptional athlete but he is not a receiver. Second year and he still can't catch a pass that hits him in the hand, chest or stomach? You have more patience than me. He's just not a true receiver in that he has not played this position his entire high school, or pre-high school football.

You don't have to tell me about SEC teams. I live in S. Florida. I've watched live high school sports for years and seen some of the fastest WR's with amazing leaping abilities with hands like glue as well as RB's, lineman etc. that have been recruited by the biggest college names and have gone onto or will be going to the NFL.

IF14 may be listed as a starter, but doesn't play the minutes or get the targets of a starter. He is a blocking WR, but not a receiving threat. Sorry you can't see past the published depth chart.

DJones may be the best athlete on this team. He is still developing. On the field is exactly where DJones should be. You should let the SEC teams that recruited him know he isn't a 'true receiver". Just like with Cobb you expect Fr to be as good as Sr players. Have some patience and stop asking dumb questions.

The receivers will start getting their chances very soon.

By the way Kill talks he's weighing whether to play Holland Jr and/or Gibson. I'm not sure how I fel about burning their shirts but we need a spark. The WRs have been underwhelming so far, even more than the QBs. Jones has been a disappointment this year. I agree he doesn't look like a receiver put there right now.

Like the QBs I think the WRs will perform better if more involved in the gameplan. Think back to your playing days, whether football or baseball or whatever. If you're idle most of the game and then all of a sudden a ball comes your way the brain almost freezes up you're so excited. Or making an accurate throw after being cold for a long period of time - it's difficult.

I'll go on record as saying I don't like our offensive philosophy right now. I think we have the players, now we need the Offensive coaches to step up and get everyone excited to play.

Do you guys really think we have no other receivers on the team that have "true receiver hands" and can go up and get a ball? Think again. And I'm not talking the freshman WR's.

Kill is loyal to his coaches and to players to a fault. You think there is no one better than freuchte or someone that has better hands the D. Jones and Wolitarsky?? Sometimes coaches promise things to players to get them to come to the school. Like "you will play your first year". Even though they may not be the best at their position and of course the coach has to play them to prove a point since they recruited them so hard.

Maybe the coaches don't recognize the talent (i.e. D Cobb was third string until last year).

Excluding Jones, Fruechte, Wolitarsky, and the freshmen, who else is there? Hutton and Maye are the only other two scholarship receivers.

Excluding Jones, Fruechte, Wolitarsky, and the freshmen, who else is there? Hutton and Maye are the only other two scholarship receivers.
Eric Carter.

The receivers will start getting their chances very soon.

By the way Kill talks he's weighing whether to play Holland Jr and/or Gibson. I'm not sure how I fel about burning their shirts but we need a spark. The WRs have been underwhelming so far, even more than the QBs. Jones has been a disappointment this year. I agree he doesn't look like a receiver put there right now.

Like the QBs I think the WRs will perform better if more involved in the gameplan. Think back to your playing days, whether football or baseball or whatever. If you're idle most of the game and then all of a sudden a ball comes your way the brain almost freezes up you're so excited. Or making an accurate throw after being cold for a long period of time - it's difficult.

I'll go on record as saying I don't like our offensive philosophy right now. I think we have the players, now we need the Offensive coaches to step up and get everyone excited to play.

Bingo. To be good at receiving they have to throw the ball to you more often, and not be expected to perform flawlessly on one or two throws the whole game.

I really think it will benefit the Gophers greatly if they loosen up their philosophy of run first and WR run block to play the run and passing is cursory.

If they develop a credible passing game, they can keep defenses honest and possibly minimize injury to the QBs by not running to get killed.

Players break out of no where all the time. Maybe he just wasn't in good shape. Maybe he was bad at blocking and recognizing blitzes as others have said. Maybe he just wasn't understanding the offense or putting enough time in watching film. Maybe he didn't have the right attitude. Maybe he's one of those guys that doesn't practice very well but "turns it on" during games. Maybe it was a combination of all these things.

It's possible they didn't recognize his talent but it could be a lot of other things too. They sure recognized the talent of guys like Eric Murray, Maxx Williams, and Thieren Cockran, all three of which were not highly recruited.

I have no idea why Melvin is not playing. Gentry is out for the season.

Watching KJ Mayes drop the ball consistently, I also wonder why we have not seen Melvin Holland... I think he is going to be a good one.

Based off the game this weekend, along with what we have seen so far this year, do you think it is very favorable to RB recruits looking at the U?

Watching KJ Mayes drop the ball consistently, I also wonder why we have not seen Melvin Holland... I think he is going to be a good one.

Maye lost his spot to Eric Carter towards the end of the game. Maybe Carter can step up and make some plays. He seems to be the forgotten man among our young WR's.

Horrible game by Maye. Dropped TD pass, false start, personal foul.

Top Bottom