Zach Lofton

We know nothing about Diedhiou. we don't know if he will ever be a Gopher or not. I would have rather had a guy who is ready to play ASAP than waiting around to see what happens with Gaston.

AI - if that's the guy you are thinking about - has an ASAP date of next Fall. Gaston assuming he qualifies and I bet he does (he's paying $11,000 + for the chance to) is ready to play in January, which is a sooner ASAP date. For now we know that, this coaching staff, who I trust on recruiting, chose Gaston.

AI - if that's the guy you are thinking about - has an ASAP date of next Fall. Gaston assuming he qualifies and I bet he does (he's paying $11,000 + for the chance to) is ready to play in January, which is a sooner ASAP date. For now we know that, this coaching staff, who I trust on recruiting, chose Gaston.

Debatable

I doubt ESL classes are $11,000. He's not taking a semester of college at his own expense. He's taking English classes so he can succeed in taking college courses in English. My guess is that if he or his family isn't paying, there is an NCAA violation somewhere.

I doubt ESL classes are $11,000. He's not taking a semester of college at his own expense. He's taking English classes so he can succeed in taking college courses in English. My guess is that if he or his family isn't paying, there is an NCAA violation somewhere.

I remember reading something that it could be outside funded.... it might be in his thread.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your connection to the kid?

Basically I'm asking....
Are you Zach Lofton?

And if you aren't, first, I don't believe you (no disrespect) and second, how are you so in love with a local kid? Some sort of family connection? Coached himat one point? HS friend?

Between classes, Training, obligations to Pitino, and girls.... I doubt the kid would have time or energy to devote to a message board, I on the other hand have time on my hands (aka work), am bored and like to read my own thoughts online.

Anyways this is why I love the guy, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VzrvASIMT4
how could you not?

You are correct. Actually it looks like the cost (Including living expenses I'll guess) is closer to $13,000. :) The information comes from the Strib article posted a while back. Here's an excerpt:

"In the meantime, Diedhiou is living on campus and enrolled in the 15-week language program that costs around $13,000 for tuition and expenses ranging from medical insurance to books. It can be paid for by anyone outside the program."

So we can argue about what it costs or who is paying it but someone is taking a calculated risk that Gaston is indeed going to make it into the U. And Gaston himself - even if he or his family is not paying is indeed investing his time into getting this done rather than going somewhere else where he could have played immediately.

I'm a Gaston fan at this point, not because I know he will be great..I don't... but because Pitino went to some lengths to get him and because Gaston didn't give up at the first sign of a hiccup as so many do these days.

Between classes, Training, obligations to Pitino, and girls.... I doubt the kid would have time or energy to devote to a message board, I on the other hand have time on my hands (aka work), am bored and like to read my own thoughts online.

Anyways this is why I love the guy, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VzrvASIMT4
how could you not?

I'll follow your lead on the ZL pump up music until he hits the court, then the proof will be in the pudding. I like your version of the story better than anything I could come up with, so you win.

However, if you start flaming on the team or the coaching staff if ZL struggles early in his career here then to the moon Alice. ZL is not above the Gophers, and player humpers are not allowed here.

I'll follow your lead on the ZL pump up music until he hits the court, then the proof will be in the pudding. I like your version of the story better than anything I could come up with, so you win.

However, if you start flaming on the team or the coaching staff if ZL struggles early in his career here then to the moon Alice. ZL is not above the Gophers, and player humpers are not aloud here.

Except for Carlos Morris. :banghead:

However, if you start flaming on the team or the coaching staff if ZL struggles early in his career here then to the moon Alice. ZL is not above the Gophers, and player humpers are not aloud here.

I dont even plan on mentioning the kids name especially once he starts playing and until he starts playing it doesn't seem like there is a lot to discuss.
a new poster asked for info about him. I figured I'd give my 2 cents.

And you know this how?

When Pitino took Diedhou he knew that AI was out there in the next class. If he thought that Diedhou was a project and wouldn't play for while- don't you think he would have passed on Gaston - knowing that he already has Martin?

The one thing we know for sure about Diedhou is that we know almost nothing.... except that Pitino wanted him.

I'm thinking he figured, understandably, that lack of open scholarships hadn't been an issue here in years, so take a flyer on him. Then all of the sudden, it was an issue. Maybe we had no shot with AI and there's no one else we had a shot with this Fall. But my guess is if he had it to do over, he'd sit on at least one of the scholarships given out this Spring, most likely Gaston.

I'm thinking he figured, understandably, that lack of open scholarships hadn't been an issue here in years, so take a flyer on him. Then all of the sudden, it was an issue. Maybe we had no shot with AI and there's no one else we had a shot with this Fall. But my guess is if he had it to do over, he'd sit on at least one of the scholarships given out this Spring, most likely Gaston.

Keep on thinking, figuring and guessing... Over enough time you can convince yourself that this fictitious scenario you made up in your head must be what happened.

These guys ain't Tubby- I think they have a lot of confidence in their ability to recruit. They will miss on some guys- everyone does. But I see no evidence at the present time that Gaston is a miss, because I like you and everyone else here has never seen him play. When you get a spring recruit that no one else is after from a high school here in the US it's safe to think it's a reach or a project. This is a little different.

I dont even plan on mentioning the kids name especially once he starts playing and until he starts playing it doesn't seem like there is a lot to discuss.
a new poster asked for info about him. I figured I'd give my 2 cents.

Jigga - You're good. I like your takes on ZL because he's so foreign to me. Just saying there's been similar posters who followed certain players heavily and would come to the forums for the single purpose of pumping that player up and making excuses for them. Not accusing, just saying, it's happened.

And Howie.... if you find one post in which I've humped Carlos Morris or said it was ok to hump him, I'll give you a million dollars.

Just like player humping is illegal, player assassination is also illegal.

Any other forum rules, I'll be back later to rule on them, for now... court of common decency adjourned.

Keep on thinking, figuring and guessing... Over enough time you can convince yourself that this fictitious scenario you made up in your head must be what happened.

Basically boils down to the fact that it's better to use scholarships on Fall recruits than Spring recruits, nothing more. Sheesh.

These guys ain't Tubby- I think they have a lot of confidence in their ability to recruit. They will miss on some guys- everyone does. But I see no evidence at the present time that Gaston is a miss, because I like you and everyone else here has never seen him play. When you get a spring recruit that no one else is after from a high school here in the US it's safe to think it's a reach or a project. This is a little different.

They're not Tubby. But top 150 Fall recruits are generally preferable to Spring recruits no one's heard of, no matter who the coach is. That said, what's done is done and I hope Gaston is a find.

They're not Tubby. But top 150 Fall recruits are generally preferable to Spring recruits no one's heard of, no matter who the coach is. That said, what's done is done and I hope Gaston is a find.
Agreed.

I'm not talking about AI. I'm just saying in general. Diedhiou was supoosed to be here this fall, but instead it won't be until Jan.(maybe) If he doesn't turn out to be an above average player I think his scholarship was a waste.

Salutations hole members,

Long time hole dweller, first time poster!

Forgive my ignorance on this one, but I was hoping to get kind of an overview of what Lofton's presence will be like with the team this year as he prepares for next season? Can he participate in all team activities? Will he suite up for games? Or simply wear street clothes behind the bench? I'm having trouble recalling how that all works for transfers that are ineligible for year one. Thanks

Salutations hole members,

Long time hole dweller, first time poster!

Forgive my ignorance on this one, but I was hoping to get kind of an overview of what Lofton's presence will be like with the team this year as he prepares for next season? Can he participate in all team activities? Will he suite up for games? Or simply wear street clothes behind the bench? I'm having trouble recalling how that all works for transfers that are ineligible for year one. Thanks

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he can do everything (practice, study halls, team meals, weight training, etc.) except dress for games and travel with the team?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he can do everything (practice, study halls, team meals, weight training, etc.) except dress for games and travel with the team?

That's how I understand it. Be on the bench or second row for games in warm-ups or a suit...

I don't think Pitino has them wear suits like they did back in the day. Made me think of when Ryan Saunders got hurt, he had the most expensive black suit in the building.

Top Bottom