Zach Lofton

Golden Yooper

Reaction score
I would like to find out some more information on the new Gopher, Zach Lofton. I never had the opportunity to see him play and would appreciate hearing more about his game. How highly was he recruited out of high school? How well did he play with Howard Pulley against quality competition? Can you compare his game to any former Gopher players?

All I heard is he was forced to do too much at Ill st and that's why he has ****ty numbers. If he turns out to be a Blake bowel movement that's good enough for me.

Jigga, who IMO is very creditable poster, posted more game film on Lofton than any other Gopher recruit I recall seeing. Coach P. has stated he has the most potential of any player in the program and has an NBA body. I am not at all concerned about a scorer or, gunner if you will, who played at a well regarded JUCO, and then played well at a Division I school, shooting percentage.

Jigga, who IMO is very creditable poster, posted more game film on Lofton than any other Gopher recruit I recall seeing. Coach P. has stated he has the most potential of any player in the program and has an NBA body. I am not at all concerned about a scorer or, gunner if you will, who played at a well regarded JUCO, and then played well at a Division I school's, shooting percentage.

What?

4/15/13: Minnesota Players Flocking to Illinois State Redbirds

Lofton left the state of Minnesota to spend a year at Quakerdale Prep (Iowa) before heading to San Jacinto College in Texas for the 2012-13 school year.

San Jacinto finished the year 24-6 and advanced to the NJCAA DI Region XIV tournament semifinals. Lofton was second on the team in scoring at around 17 per game, shooting 35% from 3-point range and converting almost 57% of his 2-point field goals.The freshman was named to the All-Region Second Team.

4/20/14: Minnesota Recruiting Notes

Zach Lofton
A year ago we were talking about Lofton joining the Redbirds of Illinois State. The rising junior who hails from Minnesota visited the ‘U’ this week and may find a place on the team. Lofton would likely be required to sit out a transfer year, but would then have two years of eligibility remaining.

As a sophomore at Illinois State, Lofton averaged 11.3 points in 23.0 minutes per game. His Usage and %Shots were approximately 29% and 33%, respectively — numbers seldom seen at Minnesota.

Indeed, Lofton’s 41.6% eFG% (and 29.2% 3FG) was rough, but he’s capable of doing great things offensively before his career is over. In the last 10 games he played in, the 6’4″ guard averaged 13.0 ppg while shooting 56.1% eFG% (38.3% 3FG).

Keep in mind, GW thought Lofton was left-handed until a couple weeks ago. So take any of his analysis with a grain of salt.

Don't feel bad my friend who coaches at St. Paul Central,who's known Zach since he was little;Told his team to guard him left,found out the hard way he was indeed right handed.He has a very nice handle with either hand.

The last 10 game #s are solid
Not to mention over half of his teams total tourney pts with very solid #s

Gladly offer a little insight.

He averaged 30 pts a game his sr year of high school at columbia hieghts, bringing them to their first state championship game ever, beating ried travis's de la salle high school in the process.

He averaged 18 his jr year at heights playing behind highly ranked sr Jacob Thomas who averaged 29 pts a game, losing to de la salle in tge playoffs.

For howard pulley he was arguably the best player on that team next to Joe Coleman. During the EYBL he often led the team in most categories against players such as Austin Rivers, Anthony Davis, bradley Beal, and a host of other high profile players.

His grades were not good enough to qualify for D1 ball outta high school so he weng the prep school and Juco route at a prestigious San Jacinto University.
Averaging 16 pts a game on a team that produced 4 D1 players that year...

Idk hope it was good insight. Im as excited as the staff is about him finally being a gopher.

So when it is all said and done he will be 7 years removed from HS? One year at prep, one at Juco, one at ISU, one sitting out here and two to play here? Or is it just one?

So when it is all said and done he will be 7 years removed from HS? One year at prep, one at Juco, one at ISU, one sitting out here and two to play here? Or is it just one?

Prep (1), JUCO (2), ISU (3), redshirt (4), Gophers (5 and 6). Seems to me six years. Old enough though. Odd journey.

You don't bring in a JUCO who redshirts and only has two years of eligibility if you don't think he's an immediate impact player.

You don't bring in a JUCO who redshirts and only has two years of eligibility if you don't think he's an immediate impact player.

I don't think Pitino would have brought in a red-shirt 2 year sg if he had know how successful he would be with his '15 recruits either.

One thing is for certain, Lofton's Message Board entourage is legendary. We went from being banned to talk about the guy to him being a penciled in all conference stud. Can't wait to actually see him play.

I don't think Pitino would have brought in a red-shirt 2 year sg if he had know how successful he would be with his '15 recruits either.

Coach P. is probably kicking himself in the butt for bringing in the player he feels has the most potential in the program.

Coach P. is probably kicking himself in the butt for bringing in the player he feels has the most potential in the program.

He also said the same thing about Buggs last year. I don't think we should get too carried away until we see some production on the court.

Yeah I love the kid.

One thing is for certain, Lofton's Message Board entourage is legendary. We went from being banned to talk about the guy to him being a penciled in all conference stud. Can't wait to actually see him play.

I think Lofton helped land the final recruit Johnson and I think it's gonna help with future local recruiting. Lofton is connected to these kids.

IMHO we would have had a better chance at landing Tyus had ZL been here, those 2 have a good relationship too.

Yeah I love the kid.

I think Lofton helped land the final recruit Johnson and I think it's gonna help with future local recruiting. Lofton is connected to these kids.

IMHO we would have had a better chance at landing Tyus had ZL been here, those 2 have a good relationship too.

It's always good to have locals who can play. It's the best case scenario for me as a provincial Gopher fan and there are plenty of very god locals coming in the next couple of years. Maybe the current locals can help draw in Coffey and others into the fold quickly.

Yeah I love the kid.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your connection to the kid?

Basically I'm asking....
Are you Zach Lofton?

And if you aren't, first, I don't believe you (no disrespect) and second, how are you so in love with a local kid? Some sort of family connection? Coached himat one point? HS friend?

For a guy who says he never heard of him before he committed and watched only watched some internet videos you sure fell in love fast.

Some of his quotes on Lofton were before Mason, Martin and Morris, Dorsey stepped on campus and before McBrayer, Jarvis & Nwankwo committed right? I'm not sure they still apply.

I think Lofton will be a nice addition, you are a little carried away my friend.

Diedhou seems to be the one that was a reach and we'd probably like to have back. But it is what it is.

Diedhou seems to be the one that was a reach and we'd probably like to have back. But it is what it is.

And you know this how?

When Pitino took Diedhou he knew that AI was out there in the next class. If he thought that Diedhou was a project and wouldn't play for while- don't you think he would have passed on Gaston - knowing that he already has Martin?

The one thing we know for sure about Diedhou is that we know almost nothing.... except that Pitino wanted him.

We know nothing about Diedhiou. we don't know if he will ever be a Gopher or not. I would have rather had a guy who is ready to play ASAP than waiting around to see what happens with Gaston.

Top Bottom