Jerry Meyer says Antonio Blakeney decommitted from Lville due to shoe affiliation

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Courier Journal:

After five-star guard Antonio Blakeney decommitted from the University of Louisville late Monday night, 247Sports recruiting analyst Jerry Meyer created a stir with a Twitter post saying the decision was "shoe company related."

More specifically, UofL is an Adidas school, and Blakeney plays for a Nike-affiliated AAU team.

What was the basis for the tweet about Blakeney's decision being based on shoe company affiliation?

Facts. I knew this was gonna happen last week. I just didn't know it was gonna happen so soon. I'd been told it was gonna happen and why it would happen.

The kid, I mean, he was looking at not being in the Jordan game, not being in the [Nike] Hoop Summit. This isn't the first time it's happened. I don't understand why everyone's tripping; I guess because it's Kentucky and Louisville.

But I mean, this is nothing new. I just know it for a fact in this situation, but yeah, looking at not playing in the Jordan Game, the Hoop Summit, everyone surrounding you, the infrastructure of people who helped him get to where he is. It's Nike. He's been heavily involved with Nike and Antonio committed to Louisville before visiting other schools and you know that didn't go over well.

http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ry-meyer-discusses-antonio-blakeney/15726321/

Go Gophers!!

I don't hate much about college sports, but everything I do hate is summed up in this article. Huge yuck factor.

I don't hate much about college sports, but everything I do hate is summed up in this article. Huge yuck factor.

Why? I chose schools based on future employment doesn't make it yucky, makes it smart. If a kid had a relationship with Google and was working summer interns and what not and Google said you have a better chance of making 3-5 times more money after graduation if you go to Stanford instead of Harvard, would it be yucky? Or just smart on my part and on Googles part, because they know what is in their best interest and what they will pay extra for.

I get that money ruins everything attitude, but I have never enjoyed college sports more...money has made coverage better, game day better, stadiums better, coaches better and access better.

Why? I chose schools based on future employment doesn't make it yucky, makes it smart. If a kid had a relationship with Google and was working summer interns and what not and Google said you have a better chance of making 3-5 times more money after graduation if you go to Stanford instead of Harvard, would it be yucky? Or just smart on my part and on Googles part, because they know what is in their best interest and what they will pay extra for.

I get that money ruins everything attitude, but I have never enjoyed college sports more...money has made coverage better[/B]game day better, stadiums better, coaches better and access better.

I disagree there. TV manipulated schedules have poluted the game day experience for many in the stands. Looks like we caught a break this year with few late Sunday games, but the whole idea of being a slave to TV scheduling nauseates me. I'm with the Yuk factor crowd. How does his playing for a Nike college improve his earning potential? He is going to get paid a bundle by anyone if he succeeds. Loyalty to his club team sponsor seems to be in their interest and not his.

I get that money ruins everything attitude, but I have never enjoyed college sports more...money has made coverage better, game day better, stadiums better, coaches better and access better.

It has made the in-person experience much worse. It has also made game times worse.

His situation is a little different but if I were a top recruit and had my pick of schools I would be more interested in Nike schools than Adidas or Under Armour just because I like the Nike brand and their products more than other brands.

Top Bottom