Gophers LB Damien Wilson Elevates His Play to Another Level This Season

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Gophers LB Damien Wilson Elevates His Play to Another Level This Season
By Alex Van Abbema

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/421349?referrer_id=388419

At this time two years ago, linebacker Damien Wilson was playing at Jones County Community College in Mississippi. Now he is leading the Big Ten Conference in tackles with 35, and is arguably the best defensive player on the Gophers so far this season.

Even last year, Wilson handled the transition from Junior College to a Big Ten school very effectively. Wilson made an immediate impact on defense, and was second on the team with 78 tackles.

Still, Wilson felt that there were many aspects in which he could improve. One of them was his weight. “I was a little overweight, I felt like I was moving slow, when I couldn’t get up to my full potential,” Wilson said.

During the offseason Wilson went on a strict, no sweets diet. He dropped 13 pounds from last year, and is now sitting at 240 for this season. Wilson never had a problem competing physically, but with this weight loss, he now has the speed to become an elite linebacker. “There were a couple plays in man coverage where I have to cover the back and he runs straight up the chute, that I might not have made last year, but I think that’s because of my diet.”

The weight loss isn’t the only thing that Wilson has used to improve this season. “I’ve watched a lot more film, I know the defense better, I just feel more comfortable. I’ve got the green light now from the coach, and getting a little bit more freedom because I know that defense better,” Wilson said.

With his added offseason preparation, Wilson says that his confidence is at an all-time high. “My confidence has gone through the roof ever since I’ve been studying the playbook all summer, all spring, all winter.”

Starting running back David Cobb and roommate of Wilson agrees that Wilson shows supreme confidence. “He plays with a certain chip on his shoulder, and swag to him, and he feels like he’s the best player when he steps out there,” running back David Cobb said. “When you have confidence like that you have to expect great things from him.”

Wilson has also shown extreme toughness in his time as a Gopher so far. Last season, Wilson came back to play against just two weeks after having surgery for his torn meniscus. He came back to the TCU game last Saturday after suffering an ankle injury, and still managed to get 11 tackles.

With all of the success he’s had, and the presence he now has on the Gophers defense, the senior middle linebacker has been thrust into a leadership position on the team. But he says that he doesn’t feel much added pressure. “I might be emerging as the leader, but I understand that I have good help around me,” Wilson said. “I got a bunch of guys that are ready to go. There’s ten guys playing around me and we all share the load.”

With all the success this season, Wilson has great things ahead of him, and should have a spot ready for him at the next level. “He’s got more than a chance. I’ve said that about Brock so I’ll say that about Damien,” Head Coach Jerry Kill said. “As long as he stays healthy, that’s a big part of it.”

Definitely think Wilson has played at an All-B10 level thus far. I won't say which team, but if he's not in the running for post-season awards I will be very surprised.

Top Bottom