Pro Football D-League begins in October - "College underclassmen...will be allowed"

Unregistered User

Wild animal with a keyboard
Reaction score
Pro Football D-League begins in October - "College underclassmen...will be allowed"

Clicky

Will be interesting to see if this one does any better than the others that have come before it. Interesting concept with underclassmen being eligible, a player that chose to play in this league would forfeit all remaining eligibility in College I assume.

Any league "founded in May, playing by October"...fail.

Make more money in stipends in college than in this league. Yikes. Any underclassman that leaves or passes up college for this is putting themselves at a huge risk.

Make more money in stipends in college than in this league. Yikes. Any underclassman that leaves or passes up college for this is putting themselves at a huge risk.

I think this shows what their talent as athletes is really worth without the branding of the colleges they play for in schools.

I think they are trying to brand as a league for teams to find guys for practice squads during the season. Practice squad players make $6,000 a week . Tuesday will be only night without football until the MAC games kick in.

FXFL... doesn't seem like a good name to me. They want to be affiliated with the NFL as a minor league, and I don't think that is at all likely. If the NFL wants a minor league, they would probably start their own.

Still, this might be a crack in the dam, if one minor league starts taking players out of high school, others might follow.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

Still, this might be a crack in the dam, if one minor league starts taking players out of high school, others might follow.
There really needs to be an option for athletes that don't belong in a college classroom, so we aren't shoehorning them into Universities and pretending they are student-athletes.

FXFL... doesn't seem like a good name to me. They want to be affiliated with the NFL as a minor league, and I don't think that is at all likely. If the NFL wants a minor league, they would probably start their own.

Well said.

The NFL already has a minor league that they don't have to invest a dime in. The players are probably getting paid better also. I believe it's called the SEC. :D

FXFL folds after 5 weeks of existence. Another massive fail. It will never work without deep pockets (NFL) involvement. Never.

Lots of questions...but my cousin can attest the value of playing games out of college to get to the NFL. He wasn't drafted out of Colorado but made the practice squad of Pittsburgh and then was sent to play in Europe for a couple of years...finally made the NFL roster for a 3 or 4 years. Got a big ol ring for his effort and then played in the Arena league for 7 years. If this is a developmental league like the Europe was, could be good...especially for QBs and guys that need some extra time to grow and develop.

There really needs to be an option for athletes that don't belong in a college classroom, so we aren't shoehorning them into Universities and pretending they are student-athletes.

Agree.

I've actually pondered the idea of watching a game with no punting allowed. It would make those 4th downs deep in your territory nerve-wracking. This is unique enough that I'd be intrigued enough to watch it (at least give it a try). I would have preferred to see it in cities with no NFL team present. I'd look at the south were football is huge and no major college plays. Maybe cities like Mobile AL, Little Rock AR, Shreveport LA, etc...

You still need deep, deep pockets and a way to make revenue. Football's roster sizes alone make it cost prohibitive. Unless you can find a way to make money, these minor leagues will always fail. NFL Europa was nothing more than a way to get exposure. I think one team basically broke even. Without NFL backing (no reason to do so), wealthy investors willing to lose money forever (not many of those), or the complete collapse of college football (not likely no matter what happens with pay to play), no minor league will succeed.

You still need deep, deep pockets and a way to make revenue. Football's roster sizes alone make it cost prohibitive. Unless you can find a way to make money, these minor leagues will always fail. NFL Europa was nothing more than a way to get exposure. I think one team basically broke even. Without NFL backing (no reason to do so), wealthy investors willing to lose money forever (not many of those), or the complete collapse of college football (not likely no matter what happens with pay to play), no minor league will succeed.
It's too bad the P5 schools didn't band together and start not admitting players that wouldn't make it in as regular students, too much money in play to have a backbone on that issue. Once some of the elite prospects had nowhere to go, the NFL might finally step in and create a minor league for their talent pool.

Agree.

I've actually pondered the idea of watching a game with no punting allowed. It would make those 4th downs deep in your territory nerve-wracking. This is unique enough that I'd be intrigued enough to watch it (at least give it a try). I would have preferred to see it in cities with no NFL team present. I'd look at the south were football is huge and no major college plays. Maybe cities like Mobile AL, Little Rock AR, Shreveport LA, etc...

The no punting thing would be interesting. That would be the only reason I would ever check it out.

If the athletes that don't belong in a college classroom are removed from collegiate competition, I think we may be down to the Ivy League and the MIAC.

FXFL? Why not call it Dumb@$$ Football League.

Top Bottom