News, Notes, Tid-Bits and Quotes: Injuries Mount, Offensive Line Needs to Improve

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
News, Notes, Tid-Bits and Quotes: Injuries Mount, Offensive Line Needs to Improve
By Grant Erickson

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/420673?referrer_id=388419

Tuesday’s weekly press conference brought a change in mood for the Gophers following their 30-7 thumping by TCU. Jerry Kill, Tracy Claeys, and Matt Limegrover looked back on the loss but were able to find some encouraging signs despite the lopsided score.

Injury Update

Mitch Leidner took a hard hit late in Saturday’s game and was replaced by Chris Streveler. Some reports stated that Leidner broke his toe but Kill explained that was not the case.

“He did not break his toe,” said Kill. “That's all I can say. He was moving around on Sunday so whether it's full speed or all of those things, what I can say is our trainer said he was running pretty well. No different than last week. He basically got what they call turf toe, but he's not swelled up. They expect him to practice today.”

Another offensive starter who is struggling with injury is Zac Epping.

“Zac Epping, you know right now has an ankle sprain,” said Kill. “It's difficult for him. He didn't practice much last week, but he's such a good player. Played well, but then he's still banged.”

Kill noted that Berkley Edwards and Donnell Kirkwood were hurt as well.

“Both of them got shoulders knocked down,” said Kill. “It's hard to do those kinds of things. So hopefully we've got to find a way to stay healthy, but that's no excuse.”

Kill also broke the news that wide receiver Isaiah Gentry is done for the year after he had surgery and Alex Mayes recently was sidelined with shoulder surgery.

Offensive Line Evaluation

Minnesota’s offensive line struggled to get a good push on the athletic TCU front during Saturday’s matchup.

“We knew what to do, but technically we didn't do as well as we should have, and that probably had to do with their speed and quickness of the game and so forth,” said Kill.

Limegrover also noted the struggles with the line.

wasn't really happy going back and taking a look at the film,” said Limegrover. “We're not playing the way we're able to right now up front. For me that's where it all starts from.”

The hope for the Gophers is that keeping a consistent group down the road can build chemistry and produce results.

“So hopefully as guys get settled in, and we have flip‑flopped some guys and done some things because of the way the injuries played out, but eventually that will sort itself out and we go from there,” said Limegrover.

Bright Spots

Although the Gophers were trounced on Saturday, it wasn’t all bad news. One of the high points was the consistent play of the Minnesota defense.

“I think their longest drive they got points off of was only like 50 yards and that was a field goal,” said Claeys of the TCU game. “Then they started three short drives and basics, it's still field position has an awful lot to do with this game. When we had good field position, we played pretty good.”

One of the stalwarts on Minnesota’s D all season has been linebacker Damien Wilson. The senior has racked up a Big Ten-leading 35 tackles thanks to his comfort level during his second year in the Gophers’ defense.

“He's comfortable in what we're doing,” said Claeys. “He's as good as there is out there. I believe that.”

On the offensive side of the ball, lineman Isaac Hayes saw increased playing time on Saturday and performed well.

“He had been working a lot at left guard but bounced him over there because he's really progressed well,” said Limegrover. "He was basically that next man in and had practiced really well. Really liked when he got in there and that gave us a little lift there. That was very encouraging to see.”

Top Bottom