Will Bo Ryan retire after this year?

Even if Bo's retirement was pending, as a recruit I wouldn't be concerned at all. Richter & now Alvarez's track record is as solid as it gets with their coaching choices. With the resources they have, the beat will go on. Pains me to no end to say that.

Wiscy is going to skip a beat or two when Bo retires.

Kind of a pointless topic. Must be bored. How does this moron even make it on this board

I said the same thing after Dick Bennett resigned. How'd that work out? What if Tony Bennett comes back to Madison?

Yeah, Alvarez became AD in '04, Bo was hired on '01. I don't believe Barry has ever hired a basketball coach (That said, I don't think NT Has ever hired a football coach)

He had success with Bielema, jury is still out on Anderson.

Even UK took a step back when they replaced Tubby with Billy G.

He could get the home run hire to keep things moving or the program could fall apart. Really no convincing precedent to go off of.

Even if Bo's retirement was pending, as a recruit I wouldn't be concerned at all. Richter & now Alvarez's track record is as solid as it gets with their coaching choices. With the resources they have, the beat will go on. Pains me to no end to say that.

Recruits should always be worried if the coach that's recruiting them is not going to be there for their entire career. New coach's like to bring in "their guys." But Bo isn't retiring anytime soon.

Also, Greg Gard will take over for Bo when he does retire. So Barry won't really have to worry about the hire.

Also, Greg Gard will take over for Bo when he does retire. So Barry won't really have to worry about the hire.

I'm not going to pretend to know what a brilliant basketball mind Greg is or how he would do as head coach. Not talking about recruiting, just in coaching, you don't replace one of the best coaches in the country without some turbulence.

You could be the best assistant coach in the world, but it's not that same as being head coach at all.

Assistant Coach, Wisconsin (2001-present)
Assistant Coach, UW-Milwaukee (1999-2001)
Assistant Coach, UW-Platteville (1993-99)
Assistant Coach, Platteville [Wis.] H.S. (1993-94)
Assistant Coach, Southwestern [Wis.] H.S. (1990-93)

Will Stone be a one and done?

I would guess there is a good chance Diamond only plays one of year of college basketball. In today's environment, I can't see him playing more than two years in college.

I would guess there is a good chance Diamond only plays one of year of college basketball. In today's environment, I can't see him playing more than two years in college.

If he's saying he wants to be one and done, then that's probably what will happen regardless of whether he proves to be ready and regardless of the advice he gets. Seems to be the way it works nowadays. I said the same thing about Vaughn. Will be one and done because he wants to be.

Frankly I'm surprised Wisconsin apparently wants a one and done (or two and done) guy that badly. Doesn't seem to be Bo Ryan's way.

Bo is healthy, has the passion of a 40-year old, and is at the top of his craft. He will coach into his 70s assuming health and historical levels of success. Probably the best coach in the country.

Lets be honest. Ryan is NOT the best coach in the county. Richard P is a coach on the rise while Grinch has reached his plateau. Nobody is thinking of ryan as their next coach and frankly I don't understand why any kid with athletic talent would want to play in his system.

Lets be honest. Ryan is NOT the best coach in the county. Richard P is a coach on the rise while Grinch has reached his plateau. Nobody is thinking of ryan as their next coach and frankly I don't understand why any kid with athletic talent would want to play in his system.

If the Grinch has reached a plateau, its only because he was one of the 4 most successful teams last year and there are not many places to go up from there. I hate Bo Ryan as much as anyone, but to say he has plateaued when coming off his best season is pretty bizarre.

If the Grinch has reached a plateau, its only because he was one of the 4 most successful teams last year and there are not many places to go up from there. I hate Bo Ryan as much as anyone, but to say he has plateaued when coming off his best season is pretty bizarre.

Agreed, Ryan is a great coach. Pitino looks like he will be but his bubblegum card is still a little short of ink. He has an excellent chance to turn lots of heads with this current recruiting class.

If Bo Ryan retires, who will we hate on other than Crean at Indiana?

Why would no retire? He has a top 25 recruiting class now that big all is in the fold and at least two more schollies to use they could have a to ten class if they play there cards right. As much as I hate it no and his bland brand of ball will be the bane of our existence for the next 5-10 years

Personally, I didn't see Wisconsin as a "boring" team last year and their combination of skill, team play, and even athleticism last season was truly elite. Kaminsky drew raves from Charles Barkley during last year's tournament. Observers were calling Sam Dekker one of the best wings in the country at elite camps this summer and he's rated as high as a lottery pick on some mock drafts. As far as Ryan hitting a plateau, well that could be true, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if his team this year managed to go one game further.

Hate Wisconsin and Ryan as much as you want (although, personally, I don't get the satisfaction some people get from feeling that kind of stuff; seems rather childish, pedestrian, and a waste of emotional energy to me), but a very good team and coach are what they are.

Personally, I didn't see Wisconsin as a "boring" team last year and their combination of skill, team play, and even athleticism last season was truly elite. Kaminsky drew raves from Charles Barkley during last year's tournament. Observers were calling Sam Dekker one of the best wings in the country at elite camps this summer and he's rated as high as a lottery pick on some mock drafts. As far as Ryan hitting a plateau, well that could be true, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if his team this year managed to go one game further.

Hate Wisconsin and Ryan as much as you want (although, personally, I don't get the satisfaction some people get from feeling that kind of stuff; seems rather childish, pedestrian, and a waste of emotional energy to me), but a very good team and coach are what they are.

I would add that anyone who thought the 2013-14 Badgers were the "same type" Badger team we've grown accustomed to seeing from Bo wasn't really paying attention. More skill, offensive weapons, and several different ways to beat you. It looked to me like Bo recognized that and let go of the reigns a little bit, gave his players a little more freedom. Whether that's true or not, I don't know, but it appeared that way.

I would add that anyone who thought the 2013-14 Badgers were the "same type" Badger team we've grown accustomed to seeing from Bo wasn't really paying attention. More skill, offensive weapons, and several different ways to beat you. It looked to me like Bo recognized that and let go of the reigns a little bit, gave his players a little more freedom. Whether that's true or not, I don't know, but it appeared that way.

I hate Bo and the Badgers with a white-hot passion (I'll cop to my pedestrian childishness, cjbfbp), but even I can acknowledge that was a damn solid team last year that's only going to be better this year.

If Bo is not the best coach in the country, I'd say that making the Final Four is a pretty decent plateau. And as for your last sentence, I'd argue that most kids like to play on winning teams.

If Bo is not the best coach in the country, I'd say that making the Final Four is a pretty decent plateau. And as for your last sentence, I'd argue that most kids like to play on winning teams.

Thanks for sharing two months later.

Top Bottom