Will Bo Ryan retire after this year?

watertown 1987 guy n

Reaction score
Will Bo Ryan retire after this year? Impact on Illikainen

A lot of discussion about the MN boy to the north contemplating Iowa and Wisconsin and Wisky's poor 2015 recruiting to date. Bo Ryan is 66 years old, would it be a surprise to anyone if he retired after this year if they make a good run and the cupboard is in fact a bit bare? If you're a high school recruit today and contemplating Wisconsin, doesn't it cross your mind that it is almost a certainty you will have a different coach when you are there?

Oldest active coaches:

77 Tevester Anderson - JSU
74 Larry Brown - SMU
73 Max Good - LMU
69 Jim Boeheim - SU
68 Cliff Ellis - CCAR
69 Steve Fisher - SDSU
69 Mike Jarvis - FAU
68 Bob Burton - CSUF
67 Howie Dickenman - CCSU
66 Bo Ryan - WISC

Bo is healthy, has the passion of a 40-year old, and is at the top of his craft. He will coach into his 70s assuming health and historical levels of success. Probably the best coach in the country.

A lot of discussion about the MN boy to the north contemplating Iowa and Wisconsin and Wisky's poor 2015 recruiting to date. Bo Ryan is 66 years old, would it be a surprise to anyone if he retired after this year if they make a good run and the cupboard is in fact a bit bare? If you're a high school recruit today and contemplating Wisconsin, doesn't it cross your mind that it is almost a certainty you will have a different coach when you are there?

Rinse, cycle, repeat.

Every year we hear (here) this is the year the Badgers are going to suck, or that they're on their way down.

Also, might want to update your list. At least two of those guys (Good, Jarvis) recently were axed or "resigned", and a third (Anderson) no longer coaches Jackson State. In contrast to the Grinch, their programs (LMU, FAU) sucked, nor had they been to the NCAA tournament for 13 consecutive seasons.

Bo is healthy, has the passion of a 40-year old, and is at the top of his craft. He will coach into his 70s assuming health and historical levels of success. Probably the best coach in the country.
I was with you until the last sentence, not even close. I then looked at your user name and remembered you are a closet Badger fan, Motion W.

Rinse, cycle, repeat.

Every year we hear (here) this is the year the Badgers are going to suck, or that they're on their way down.

Also, might want to update your list. At least two of those guys (Good, Jarvis) recently were axed or "resigned". In contrast to the Grinch, their programs (LMU, FAU) sucked, nor had they been to the NCAA tournament for 13 consecutive seasons.

Your last paragraph "at least two of those guys are done" supports my point even more. This is a younger guys job. There are reasons that the VAST majority of coaches don't stick around into their 70s - travel is not a perk.

I find it interesting that the poster finds Wisky's 2015 recruiting class poor thus far. They have already secured Pritzyl (3/4 star SG) and are very much in the hunt for 5 star Diamond Stone. It's not like they have 4 open scholarships like the Gophers did. If memory serves me correct they only have 2-3 scholarships available and their #1 target is Stone, who has yet to make a decision. They are just fortunate to be in a position where they can be choosy. Adding somebody like AI would only bolster their team. Bo Ryan is far from having an empty cupboard.

Even if he does, they can just hire Jon Voight to play him, get their offense from a copy of Hoosiers and no one will know the difference.

I see the resemblance but Jon Voight would be offended. Somehow Voight fathered Angelina Jolie - so go figure.

Oldest active coaches:

77 Tevester Anderson - JSU
74 Larry Brown - SMU
73 Max Good - LMU
69 Jim Boeheim - SU
68 Cliff Ellis - CCAR
69 Steve Fisher - SDSU
69 Mike Jarvis - FAU
68 Bob Burton - CSUF
67 Howie Dickenman - CCSU
66 Bo Ryan - WISC

Judging from the other posters corrections and me recalling that Mike Krzyzewski is 67... I don't think you used the best sources to come up with this list.

I find it interesting that the poster finds Wisky's 2015 recruiting class poor thus far. They have already secured Pritzyl (3/4 star SG) and are very much in the hunt for 5 star Diamond Stone. It's not like they have 4 open scholarships like the Gophers did. If memory serves me correct they only have 2-3 scholarships available and their #1 target is Stone, who has yet to make a decision. They are just fortunate to be in a position where they can be choosy. Adding somebody like AI would only bolster their team. Bo Ryan is far from having an empty cupboard.

They have 5 to fill. 6 if Dekker declares for the NBA.

Kaminsky, Gasser, Dukan, Traevon, and a roll over scholarship from 2014 makes 5.

Stone is far from a sure thing. Same goes for Sharma. Illikainen has become a must get. Going into 2015 their only scholarship post players are Hayes (good), Ethan Happ (incoming freshman), and Vitto Brown (sophomore who didn't look great last year). Then their only other player over 6'6 is a walk on. So they definitely need to do some work before they can feel good about 2015.

To answer the original question, I would be shocked if Bo retired after this season. I do think it's fair for prospects and their families to ask Bo about it, but assuming good health, which he has had thus far, I could see Bo coaching another five years. This year's team could very well be Bo's best, but I still don't see a riding-off-into-the-sunset scenario after a hopfully very successful season. From where we stand right now, I think it's reasaonable to project that UW could have two of the conference's best players in the 2015-16 and 2016-17 seasons with Bronson Koenig and Nigel Hayes as juniors and seniors.

Regarding recruiting for the 2015 class, someone mentioned that it is a smaller class for UW. That is not the case, as there could be up to 6 openings depending on Sam Dekker and whether they give a scholarship to a walk-on (e.g. Zak Showalter). I expect them to take at least 4 in this class, perhaps 5, so they have work to do with only one commit to date. Sounds like they could have another commit soon, perhaps two, and Diamond Stone will be at the top of the wish list until he decides, which is currently slated to be early November. It has been a bit of struggle with the 2015 class, but there is still a legitimate chance that the class could turn out to be Bo's best on paper.

I think a more interesting question would be whether or not Richard Pitino is still at Minnesota when Bo retires.

I think a more interesting question would be whether or not Richard Pitino is still at Minnesota when Bo retires.

Nice try Ole! This thread is about Bo's pending retirement, the downfall of your program and us feeling better about our chances of finally passing you in the standings. Can't we at least have this thread without having to worry about XYZ progam coming after our 32-year old phenom coach?! :cool:

This is a legitimate question if we don't have a practice facility in the near future, but with the recent developments in donations (and expected donations), I'm not at all worried about that right now.

They have 5 to fill. 6 if Dekker declares for the NBA.

Kaminsky, Gasser, Dukan, Traevon, and a roll over scholarship from 2014 makes 5.

Stone is far from a sure thing. Same goes for Sharma. Illikainen has become a must get. Going into 2015 their only scholarship post players are Hayes (good), Ethan Happ (incoming freshman), and Vitto Brown (sophomore who didn't look great last year). Then their only other player over 6'6 is a walk on. So they definitely need to do some work before they can feel good about 2015.

I stand corrected, nice catch Madtown. Forgot about Dukan and the rollover. That said, I don't believe AI is a must get, albeit a great recruit for Bo's system. Wisky still has plenty of time for recruits...

This post compels me to mention that there is a young under the radar talent upcoming softmore from Wis named Luke Lowe. I know his parents very well and I know him. I know from seeing him play that he has that extra drive and passion that separates a so so player from a very special player, and believe me he is that special player. And I have seen his dad play. Born winners. He has visited Wi. Marquette is also talking to him. Who ever on this board that may have a voice to Minnesota coaches should see this kid now and though I live in Luke's town and respect wi and Bo Ryan I am first a Gopher fan and would rather see him a Gopher.

I would agree that Diamond is not a sure thing to UW, but I do believe that UW has as good a shot as anyone to land him. His dad did an interview with one of the UW sites recently, talking a lot about what they are looking for in a program. Much of what he said matches up with how Bo has operated the UW program. I am cautiously optimistic about UW's chances of landing Stone.

With how UW's roster lines up, UW fans have assumed that the Badgers would take at least two bigs in the 2015 class. Diamond has always been the top choice, and there have been a couple others who UW really liked. Henry Ellenson is certainly one of them, but he's headed elsewhere. Josh Sharma has had an offer on the table for quite some time, but I believe he will commit to BC on or shortly after his visit this weekend. Illikainen is next in line, and UW appears to be in position to land him in the near future. Charlie Thomas, another 6'8" or so PF, will also be visiting Madison officially this weekend. He is more of a physical rebounder and defender, so he could fit well with Alex if both decide to be Badgers. Stone would be the cherry on the top of the frontcourt recruiting if he decides later in the fall that Madison is the place for him (for a year or two).

I would agree that Diamond is not a sure thing to UW, but I do believe that UW has as good a shot as anyone to land him. His dad did an interview with one of the UW sites recently, talking a lot about what they are looking for in a program. Much of what he said matches up with how Bo has operated the UW program. I am cautiously optimistic about UW's chances of landing Stone.

With how UW's roster lines up, UW fans have assumed that the Badgers would take at least two bigs in the 2015 class. Diamond has always been the top choice, and there have been a couple others who UW really liked. Henry Ellenson is certainly one of them, but he's headed elsewhere. Josh Sharma has had an offer on the table for quite some time, but I believe he will commit to BC on or shortly after his visit this weekend. Illikainen is next in line, and UW appears to be in position to land him in the near future. Charlie Thomas, another 6'8" or so PF, will also be visiting Madison officially this weekend. He is more of a physical rebounder and defender, so he could fit well with Alex if both decide to be Badgers. Stone would be the cherry on the top of the frontcourt recruiting if he decides later in the fall that Madison is the place for him (for a year or two).

Ole, an innocent question asked with no animosity: As an avid UW fan, why are you such a prolific poster on Gopher Hole? There's certainly not much interest among Gopher fans about the goings-on in Madison, but yet you're there with all things Bucky, nearly 900 posts strong.

Either way - he needs to straighten out and make amends with the "Whos" in Whoville.

Honestly. When he retires and isn't busy with basketball, everybody in B1G land better clog their chimneys, because you know he's coming....

Ole, an innocent question asked with no animosity: As an avid UW fan, why are you such a prolific poster on Gopher Hole? There's certainly not much interest among Gopher fans about the goings-on in Madison, but yet you're there with all things Bucky, nearly 900 posts strong.

I have lived in the Twin Cities since I graduated from Madison in 2000. I like getting out to see games locally, and there tends to more interest in Minnesota kids on this board than any UW board (for obvious reasons). Living here, I certainly read/hear a lot about the Gophers, so I like to keep up with what is going on with the program and the kids they are recruiting. Beyond that, I like to think I'm pretty reasonable, and I enjoy discussing hoops with fans of rivals.

I have lived in the Twin Cities since I graduated from Madison in 2000. I like getting out to see games locally, and there tends to more interest in Minnesota kids on this board than any UW board (for obvious reasons). Living here, I certainly read/hear a lot about the Gophers, so I like to keep up with what is going on with the program and the kids they are recruiting. Beyond that, I like to think I'm pretty reasonable, and I enjoy discussing hoops with fans of rivals.
I've said it before, I really appreciate your contributions on this board so don't let some posters drive you away.

Beyond that, I like to think I'm pretty reasonable, and I enjoy discussing hoops with fans of rivals.

I agree, and thanks for your POV. Again, I didn't ask that question to be an a-hole, I was genuinely curious.

Good post.

Another question; What the hell happened to Johnny Gopher and his dedication to GH?

Even if he does, they can just hire Jon Voight to play him, get their offense from a copy of Hoosiers and no one will know the difference.

Excellent casting choice!

I don't know how much longer he will choose to coach, but I'm interested to see if a similar level of success can continue after he steps down. So often, success in basketball can be attributed to a particular coaching regime and relatively few teams (e.g., KY, UNC, UCLA, Kansas) are consistent powerhouses over many years and multiple coaches. Regardless of what one thinks about him or Wisconsin, he has done a remarkable job with that program.

Even if Bo's retirement was pending, as a recruit I wouldn't be concerned at all. Richter & now Alvarez's track record is as solid as it gets with their coaching choices. With the resources they have, the beat will go on. Pains me to no end to say that.

Top Bottom