Stats after three games

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
Last in Big14 in total offense and passing. 13th in total defense. 117th nationally in passing.

The offensive and passing numbers are definitely troubling. The defensive numbers are what they are, we've played some up-tempo teams to start the year, and at least in the TCU game our offense didn't help the defense any. Not to mention most of the yards in the first two games came against 2nd and 3rd teamers in garbage time (still would have been nice to get some more stops late in those games... oh well).

11th in the conference in yards per play.
10th in the conference in yards per play against.

These numbers aren't great but they're better than last and 2nd to last. Yards per play is a better representation than total yards when judging a team's true performance IMO.

The offensive and passing numbers are definitely troubling. The defensive numbers are what they are, we've played some up-tempo teams to start the year, and at least in the TCU game our offense didn't help the defense any. Not to mention most of the yards in the first two games came against 2nd and 3rd teamers in garbage time (still would have been nice to get some more stops late in those games... oh well).

Having watched a lot of games this year, it appears that a high percentage of teams are running up tempo. I am not sure that is a valid argument because anymore because that is almost the norm. What troubles me is that Eastern Illinois and Middle Tennessee State both are breaking in new QB's and still racked up yards. And, TCU is playing a QB that split time between WR and QB last year.

Having watched a lot of games this year, it appears that a high percentage of teams are running up tempo. I am not sure that is a valid argument because anymore because that is almost the norm. What troubles me is that Eastern Illinois and Middle Tennessee State both are breaking in new QB's and still racked up yards. And, TCU is playing a QB that split time between WR and QB last year.

Quarterback ratings/game
TCU: 50.2
MT: 24.5
EIU: huh not listed on the boxscore. oh well. both only hit 50% of their passes

My point is our defense isn't allowing QB's to hit 70% of their passes and pick them apart. They are giving up some short passes and some yards but not the big plays. And yes up tempo does matter for total yards. The more plays you run the more yards you gain.

Quarterback ratings/game
TCU: 50.2
MT: 24.5
EIU: huh not listed on the boxscore. oh well. both only hit 50% of their passes

My point is our defense isn't allowing QB's to hit 70% of their passes and pick them apart. They are giving up some short passes and some yards but not the big plays. And yes up tempo does matter for total yards. The more plays you run the more yards you gain.

Obviously our offense struggles...why not go up-tempo and try something different, then?

Obviously our offense struggles...why not go up-tempo and try something different, then?

Have you seen our two minute offense? its worse than our regular offense. Why do you think kill sat on the ball before half last week?

Also I was talking about how our defense was playing well despite the "yards against" stat. Those ratings were opposing QB rating. ML had a higher rating than opposing QBs in the first two games and streveler had a higher rating the TCU game, which means our defense is doing their job. Going "up tempo" with our offense so our defense gets even less rest probably isn't the answer.

Top Bottom