Jerry Kill: Everything that happened on Saturday had nothing to do with kids, it ...

GopherLady

Reaction score
had everything to do with me.

Here are the press conference notes from him, Claeys, and Limegrover. Leidner to practice today, and Edwards and Kirkwood had their shoulders banged up and will practice also.

Here are my notes:
Jerry Kill:
• The presser started early, so many came in late and one said - the pizza was good, coach. He replied - You should have brought one up to share with me! That was kind of selfish of you. The continuity in O-Line is so important. On Saturday, we just didn’t play good down the middle. That had to do with their speed. We know truly, what we need to get fixed because we haven't played anyone like that on defense (like TCU). It's not just offensive line, it's offense.
• If you don't turn the ball over, you're going to win the game.
• Mitch is going to practice today. As far as I know, he's banged up, but he'd be at full speed today. We'll see, I can't tell you until we get out there. He did not break his toe. That's all I can say. He was moving around on Sunday. He's got turf toe. He's not 100%. He absolutely was at 100% last Saturday when he played them, he had to be cleared by the trainer. You can't have a QB that's not full speed. I can't say if he was hurting or not. That's not an easy situation to play in.
• We have better protection in the 3rd quarter. That again, has to do with some of the athleticism that we saw and didn't protect it. We have to do some things to get the ball out quicker. Everything that happened on Saturday had nothing to do with kids, it had everything to do with me.
• I talk to John the baseball coach, if you have errors, you're not going to win there either.
• They have 80-90 formations we'll have to prepare for. We've had less mental errors than we have a year before. We need to do a better job on offense. Don't turn it over and play better.
• We did not pass protect very well. Their athleticism had a big part of that. Everything we did, we were ready to play, we played hard, we just played with not efficient technique.
• Berkeley and Donnell got their shoulders knocked down. Donnell Kirkwood and Berkley Edwards got shoulder banged up Saturday. We've got to find a way to stay healthy. We need to get the guys who are playing, ready to play…rather than getting the guys who aren't healthy, healthy.
• Jared Weyler, Isaiah Gentry and Alex Mayes are players who are having surgery today on various injuries. Gentry is out for year with knee.
• You gotta understand, don't win, don't sleep.

Tracy Claeys
• I gotta do better, those short field situations.
• Eric Murray responded to that beginning - Eric's played awfully well, they caught 2 fades, one was one handed, I thought our secondary was just as athletic and their receivers. We're just a few plays away. Not that we don't have problems.
• Right now, no huddle is the way it's going, everyone is running it. They're telling you, it's easier to teach because they're not running as many plays. Some don't even have headsets on during the game.
• Pass rush - the faster the ball comes out, the easier it is to defend.
• We might have had 2 blown assignments, but the kids played a lot better than they had before. I'm pleased with what they were doing.
• It's hard on a junior college kid, that's why most we try to find 3 year kids, so it gives them an extra year to learn.

Matt Limegrover
• It had a lot to do with the offensive line. We're not playing to the way we're able to right now, it all starts up front. You can talk about David being banged up.
• We'd like to throw for 300 yards a game, and we're not there. You can either give into it, or make some changes.
• With the same guys back on the O-Line - had some injuries during camp, we just haven't quite meshed yet. The guys are trying to get used to a new year. The schemes aren't that much different. Last year, it was a big problem, being inconsistent.
• I'm never adverse to making personnel changes. That's the hallmark of a Coach Kill team. Some guys will be given some opportunity at practice.
• Isaac - he had been working a lot at left guard. He's really progressed well. At practice, he got in there, and gave us a little lift there. The biggest thing with him is he doesn’t have a lot of experience.
• We're close to making the decision if we want to play Melvin or Connor this year. Is this the best thing for that young man's future? We're looking for other alternatives, but you hit the point of no return on that. The nice thing about it, is they get a lot of reps and they would be ready.
• Mitch is trying to do too much, and it's getting him in trouble. If he's going to be successful, we need to feel comfortable, that goes back to the O-Line, backs, etc.

Thanks Nadine.

(Mitch) did not break his toe. That's all I can say. He was moving around on Sunday. He's got turf toe. He's not 100%. He absolutely was at 100% last Saturday when he played them, he had to be cleared by the trainer. You can't have a QB that's not full speed. I can't say if he was hurting or not. That's not an easy situation to play in.

Well, guess that answers that.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Any coach's pacifier. Suck the Tootsie Pop before saying something stupid

They at least have to play one of three WR's we got to add some depth and talent this year. Gentry, Melvin, or Connor. They all very good and I have no complaints about RS them for the future but one of them needs to play for extra depth and talent because those guys are all extremely talented and one of them would give a great advantage this year on offense. It would give whoever is at QB another target knowing we really don't have that target other than maybe Wolitarksky, Jones, or Maye.

They at least have to play one of three WR's we got to add some depth and talent this year. Gentry, Melvin, or Connor. They all very good and I have no complaints about RS them for the future but one of them needs to play for extra depth and talent because those guys are all extremely talented and one of them would give a great advantage this year on offense. It would give whoever is at QB another target knowing we really don't have that target other than maybe Wolitarksky, Jones, or Maye.

Gentry is out for the season needing knee surgery.

Our current WR's are doing the job. They need better chemistry with the QB.

I assume you are basing your opinion on how good they are from their high school film. Trust me if any of them was ready to step in and be an impact WR they would be on the field because there is not much in the trio of Jones/Maye/Wolitarsky that would make it tough for a really talented youngster to crack if they were in fact good enough to do it.

It has been discussed before but I still think there are too many fans that don't get the following concept: If a kid can help the team win games that season he is going to play. Coaches don't redshirt guys for the future, they redshirt guys because they are not ready.

Gentry is out for the season needing knee surgery.

Our current WR's are doing the job. They need better chemistry with the QB.

I would argue that our current receivers are NOT doing the job. They don't consistently get separation from defenders and need to get much better in that area before we will see significant improvements in the passing game. Unfortunately, on numerous occasions they have gotten separation but either overthrown or not seen by ML7.

I assume you are basing your opinion on how good they are from their high school film. Trust me if any of them was ready to step in and be an impact WR they would be on the field because there is not much in the trio of Jones/Maye/Wolitarsky that would make it tough for a really talented youngster to crack if they were in fact good enough to do it.

It has been discussed before but I still think there are too many fans that don't get the following concept: If a kid can help the team win games that season he is going to play. Coaches don't redshirt guys for the future, they redshirt guys because they are not ready.

This is coach Kill's fourth year and some people still don't get it.:banghead:

I would argue that our current receivers are NOT doing the job. They don't consistently get separation from defenders and need to get much better in that area before we will see significant improvements in the passing game. Unfortunately, on numerous occasions they have gotten separation but either overthrown or not seen by ML7.

I think they do, but the QB does not throw the ball on time.

Standard Kill presser.

Always protects his team's fragile psyche.

I meant that as a compliment, mostly.

Here's what the coaches' took away from the game tape: our offensive line got outplayed and out-schemed. The game was lost upfront and no quarterback could've saved the day. I basically agree. Mitch had happy feet all game. He felt physically rushed and mentally pressured. It snowballed.

Coaches at schools with a lot of talent and depth do redshirt guys for the future. That doesn't apply here.

This would be a good week to let Epping and Lauer heal up.

Standard Kill presser.

Always protects his team's fragile psyche.

I meant that as a compliment, mostly.

Here's what the coaches' took away from the game tape: our offensive line got outplayed and out-schemed. The game was lost upfront and no quarterback could've saved the day. I basically agree. Mitch had happy feet all game. He felt physically rushed and mentally pressured. It snowballed.

Epping playing and Lauer playing with High ankle sprains doesn't help either guy. It is hard to play with a bum wheel let alone block all of those speed guys. There was a lot of breakdowns in the interior of the line between the center Olson and the two guards Bush and Epping. It wasn't the group but every time they got a sack or major pressure one of the guys was not blocking anyone or they were to slow to react off the snap and lost leverage with there feet. Maybe they need to put Bobek in there at center or if Christensen is healthy enough it is time for him to get back out there at center and move Olson to guard. The O-line has not played up to the standard they set for themselves, they said they could be the best or one of the best O-lines in the Big 10, so far there is little evidence as such.

We lost the game because of a good TEAM effort by TCU! and a lousy TEAM effort by the Gophers.

On the "running into the fair catch" play no they did not. I found a trailer full of booze at half time though and the rest is history.

Attachments

• image-3203185864.jpg
    image-3203185864.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 68

On the "running into the fair catch" play no they did not. I found a trailer full of booze at half time though and the rest is history.

You never told me about the jug of JD, man.

All I got was a pic of you, GL, and goldyspop on my cell text. Thanks by the way.

Here we go again. Doublespeak. "Everything that happened on Saturday had nothing to do with the kids, it had to do with me (Kill)". Then he goes on to say that the kids didn't execute. And, he never once says why it had everything to do with him. Why didn't he say: "I didn't prepare them adequately"; or "I didn't game plan properly"; or "I didn't recognize soon enough what the other team was doing". Everyone gives Jerry a pass on all this stuff. He really doesn't mean what he says. He says what he knows he should say, but then doesn't back it up. It's getting a little tiresome. I realize it's just a press conference, but for goodness sakes speak clearly and give a consistent message.

Here we go again. Doublespeak. "Everything that happened on Saturday had nothing to do with the kids, it had to do with me (Kill)". Then he goes on to say that the kids didn't execute. And, he never once says why it had everything to do with him. Why didn't he say: "I didn't prepare them adequately"; or "I didn't game plan properly"; or "I didn't recognize soon enough what the other team was doing". Everyone gives Jerry a pass on all this stuff. He really doesn't mean what he says. He says what he knows he should say, but then doesn't back it up. It's getting a little tiresome. I realize it's just a press conference, but for goodness sakes speak clearly and give a consistent message.

I disagree. I think the real answer is that you're looking for things to get angry about.

I must admit, I didn't like the quote from Kill today in year four. I'm hoping for a nice rebound this week.

I disagree. I think the real answer is that you're looking for things to get angry about

That's your opinion, but you don't know me from Adam. I'm not angry at all. I believe I have a pretty good idea how Jerry works. Jerry says everything that happened on Saturday is on him. But, based on my observation of him over three plus years, he does not mean that. If he did, he would've backed it up in the press conference and we would see some changes in the offense and play calling. Jerry believes he knows exactly what he's doing. Jerry has pointed out numerous times how successful he's been at his previous stops. Jerry doesn't believe he could be going about things wrong. Jerry believes he doesn't have the talent he needs and the execution he demands. Jerry believes the kids lost the game because they turned the ball over. He said that very clearly. Jerry even said in the press conference that if we don't turn the ball over we win the game. Jerry believes the kids lost the game. Jerry does not believe he lost the game. Jerry is a good guy. Jerry is a really good guy. But Jerry is full of B.S.

I would much rather Kill come out and say that Mitch's foot is fine but he has been nursing a thumb injury for 2+ years and that is why he can't though a spiral. At least that way, I can have some faith that things will change in the future.

That's your opinion, but you don't know me from Adam. I'm not angry at all. I believe I have a pretty good idea how Jerry works. Jerry says everything that happened on Saturday is on him. But, based on my observation of him over three plus years, he does not mean that. If he did, he would've backed it up in the press conference and we would see some changes in the offense and play calling. Jerry believes he knows exactly what he's doing. Jerry has pointed out numerous times how successful he's been at his previous stops. Jerry doesn't believe he could be going about things wrong. Jerry believes he doesn't have the talent he needs and the execution he demands. Jerry believes the kids lost the game because they turned the ball over. He said that very clearly. Jerry even said in the press conference that if we don't turn the ball over we win the game. Jerry believes the kids lost the game. Jerry does not believe he lost the game. Jerry is a good guy. Jerry is a really good guy. But Jerry is full of B.S.

My opinion is you're taking everything he says and finding a way to turn it into a negative. Seriously, it's a press conference. I will never understand why some people try to dissect what is said in a press conference. Maybe he meant many of things you're bringing up. He's not paid to be a great speaker. Sometimes people know what they want to say, they just don't always say it the right way so people who want to really dig into every sentence can take it the wrong way. Maybe everything you say is right.

Honestly, I'm not sure why it matters. What matters most to me is what happens on the field, not what is said in a press conference.

(1) Jerry Kill is a deliberate double-speaking deceptive deliverer of nonsense,
(2) Jerry Kill is untrustworthy,
(3) Jerry Kill is pridefully arrogantly destructively confident,
(4) Jerry Kill places all blame on the kids,
(5) yet, Jerry Kill is a "good guy."
(6) ...And you'd feel better if that smug fake, Jerry, would just detail his share of the blame.

Striking, what glasses we can wear when watching a benign 15 minute press conference.

You had ONE job, ONE job...and I only got to see this after the game. Shame on you :).

You never told me about the jug of JD, man.

All I got was a pic of you, GL, and goldyspop on my cell text. Thanks by the way.

That should be more than good enough! :)

Top Bottom