Gophers need to break some offensive tendancies they showed last year.

gopherdudepart2

Reaction score
One formation in particular that they keep pounding on with little success so far is the "Golden I" or the Maryland I as it is commonly known. Not saying they should ditch the formation, I like power runs, just saying they need to break the tendancy to do the same thing each and every week that they have been showing. A lot of the same plays seem to be being called and shown on film each week. Is it the inexperienced QB yes, but it is also the guy's seem to be stuck in a rutt on trying to run what was successful last year. So far the Gophers tendancies from last year have not been disguised well.

So far they have run that power I play really similar to how they did last year without the blocking of Mike Henry or the ability for him to drift out and run a wheel route and catch passes. One thing seems really clear so far they really miss the blocking of Mike Henry and his ability to seal the edge blitzers. Teams are loading off the edges every time they see this formation and blitzing right in to the run. Things will get better, they just have to teach and learn some new stuff in the play book that they can be good at. This staff always seems to be good at gambling, finding the element of surprise and creating new stuff or refining old stuff, I would like to see them get back at it and do more of that again. This year the group seems complacent to run a lot of the same plays that were successful last year. Yes they have had QB struggles and injury's to boot, but some of it has been complacent play calling both sides of the ball. They can and will get better each week. We can catch people with more blitzes from the linebackers too, they are plenty fast and can get the QB just have not seen a lot of that yet.

Top Bottom