How would you rate Pitino ayear and a half in?

How would you rate Richard Pitino as Head Coach?

• 10 - Guy walks on water

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • 9 - He can't fall off the court. He floats!

Votes: 30 21.9%

Votes: 46 33.6%

Votes: 31 22.6%

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • 5 - meh, he won the NIT, what about the NCAAs

Votes: 5 3.6%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 0.7%

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • 1 - We dumped Tubby for this!

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters
I'd say the fact that his "big" recruits got kicked off the team under his supervision (or lack). Several transfered out and did much better elsewhere. (Colton, Cobbs, Royce, etc..)
Also the lack of player development in the ones that stayed. (Sampson, Williams)
But your right! He and his DUI assistant coaches were awesome!

I'm not sure anyone ever got kicked off the team. We had multiple guys get suspended, and you could argue that the transfers of some of our players (Devoe, Royce) occurred for reasons related to those suspensions, but I don't think any players were kicked off the team.

Some players improved nicely over their careers, such as Damien Johnson, Blake Hoffarber, and I think some would argue Rodney Williams as well.

As for the DUI, it's not like we don't currently have an assistant who has had a run in with the law.

I'm not sure anyone ever got kicked off the team. We had multiple guys get suspended, and you could argue that the transfers of some of our players (Devoe, Royce) occurred for reasons related to those suspensions, but I don't think any players were kicked off the team.

Some players improved nicely over their careers, such as Damien Johnson, Blake Hoffarber, and I think some would argue Rodney Williams as well.

As for the DUI, it's not like we don't currently have an assistant who has had a run in with the law.

I'm interested to hear this one.

I think a lot of you are suffering from a severe case of amnesia. Tubby inherited a freaking dumpster fire of a program. Have you forgotten the 2006-07 nightmare? I haven't. The single worst season in my 22 years as a season-ticket holder. I think it's the only Gopher season where I was glad it (mercifully) came to an end. To downplay what Tubby accomplished in his first year is pure lunacy.

No disrespect at all to what Pitino accomplished in Year 1, but he didn't inherit anything close to a dumpster fire. Pitino said as much prior to last season. He made a point of saying on at least a couple occasions that Tubby left him some good players.

The season was a dumpster fire, but it's not from a lack of talent. Coleman, Hoffarber, Tollackson, Mckenzie, and Westbrook were all Rivals top 150 recruits. Add to that a one of the most versitile defensive players around, Damien Johnson, and Al Nolen, who was a solid contributor as a Freshman, Tubby had pieces to work with. He did a good job in his first season, but lets not pretend the team was void of talent.

I think a lot of you are suffering from a severe case of amnesia. Tubby inherited a freaking dumpster fire of a program. Have you forgotten the 2006-07 nightmare? I haven't. The single worst season in my 22 years as a season-ticket holder. I think it's the only Gopher season where I was glad it (mercifully) came to an end. To downplay what Tubby accomplished in his first year is pure lunacy.

No disrespect at all to what Pitino accomplished in Year 1, but he didn't inherit anything close to a dumpster fire. Pitino said as much prior to last season. He made a point of saying on at least a couple occasions that Tubby left him some good players.

I'm with SS on this one. I was as angry at Tubby as anyone else for the late season collapses in conference play, but it is really unfair to downplay the year one turn around job he pulled off.

I get a little tired of the Tubby/Rich comparisons. Rich is off to a very good start. I think he'll win a a national championship (or more) at some point. Unlikely to be here, though. We should enjoy him while we have him.

John Galt, your logic is so convoluted I hesitate to reply but can't help myself. You say it's about winning. Is that correct? You can't see the difference in returning the top 9 players and having two quality recruits in place to join the team, as opposed to losing 5 of the top players and no recruits in place. I believe that does make the starting line in a vastly different place...much, much farther back to be clear. Tubby had a huge headstart.
Evidently post season wins are not a factor in your equation? Tubby with the vastly superior first season in your eyes loses his first round NIT game and Pitino wins the NIT championship!! But Tubby had the better year??View attachment 2911
"I strenuously object"

So Tubby inherited starters from a team that went 9-22 overall, 3-13 in the B1G and you're saying that was an advantage for him? Tubby walked into a terrible, terrible situation. I was at Dan Monson's last game ever, when there were 3000 people in the Barn booing as we were routed by a mediocre Clemson team. I told my friend at the time that I didn't know how Monson could ever coach at the Barn again, and who would be willing to come in to this situation. The program was in complete shambles, far worse than when Tubby left after making the NCAA tourney and winning a game. It isn't even close.

So Tubby inherited starters from a team that went 9-22 overall, 3-13 in the B1G and you're saying that was an advantage for him? Tubby walked into a terrible, terrible situation. I was at Dan Monson's last game ever, when there were 3000 people in the Barn booing as we were routed by a mediocre Clemson team. I told my friend at the time that I didn't know how Monson could ever coach at the Barn again, and who would be willing to come in to this situation. The program was in complete shambles, far worse than when Tubby left after making the NCAA tourney and winning a game. It isn't even close.

Like I posted earlier, Tubby was working with 5 Top 150 recruits, the talent was there. Tubby did a good job bringing them together, but there wasn't a talent void.

At this point in his Minnesota tenure Tubby was on fire, Bostick, Joseph, Carter, Sampson, Iverson were the incoming recruits, the next class included White, Williams, Cobb, and Mbwake. Got to the semi's in the B1G tournament, happened to get a good Maryland team in the first round of the NIT and lost. Tubby took a bad team and almost got them to the NCAA tournament

Considering recruting and on court success even with the NIT championship I don't think Pitino's first year is as good, unlike Tubby lets hope Pitino continues to improve, we don't have a mass exedous of players, etc., etc.. We will know two years from now but I am optimistic, the program is definately improving compared to Tubby's last four years.

Like I posted earlier, Tubby was working with 5 Top 150 recruits, the talent was there. Tubby did a good job bringing them together, but there wasn't a talent void.

They weren't that good since they had just gone 9-22, 3-13 in the B1G. With a coach in Monson that has had some success. I don't give a sh*t what Rivals ranked them, that's subjective. Would anyone make the argument that Jerry Kill walked into a good situation because although he interited a team that went 3-9, he had a senior class that was composed of Brewster's "highly ranked" 2008 recruiting class that was #17 in the nation?

Then I'll give Tubby a 9 for his first season and keep the 8 for Pitino since that is what he deserved imo.

This is my entire point. Be excited about Pitino, but what he did in year 1 wasn't as impressive as Tubby's year 1 turnaround.

At this point in his Minnesota tenure Tubby was on fire, Bostick, Joseph, Carter, Sampson, Iverson were the incoming recruits, the next class included White, Williams, Cobb, and Mbwake. Got to the semi's in the B1G tournament, happened to get a good Maryland team in the first round of the NIT and lost. Tubby took a bad team and almost got them to the NCAA tournament

Considering recruting and on court success even with the NIT championship I don't think Pitino's first year is as good, unlike Tubby lets hope Pitino continues to improve, we don't have a mass exedous of players, etc., etc.. We will know two years from now but I am opimistic, the program is definately improving compared to Tubby's last four years.

I agree. Coach P. and staff needed a top 25-35 recruiting class and I think most of us would agree, they have done that. Very important to go dancing this year to keep momentum. It's too early, but my first thought is we will be too young to go dancing in 2015/16. Hope I'm wrong. I think the year after we will start running teams off the court.

The season was a dumpster fire, but it's not from a lack of talent. Coleman, Hoffarber, Tollackson, Mckenzie, and Westbrook were all Rivals top 150 recruits. Add to that a one of the most versitile defensive players around, Damien Johnson, and Al Nolen, who was a solid contributor as a Freshman, Tubby had pieces to work with. He did a good job in his first season, but lets not pretend the team was void of talent.

No disrespect, all those guys were solid Big 10 players, but McKenzie was the only one who earned 3rd team (that's what LM was) or better All-Big 10 honors throughout the course of their careers. It's not like Tubby inherited a Humphries, Grier, or Mbakwe-like talent.

I agree. Coach P. and staff needed a top 25-35 recruiting class and I think most of us would agree, they have done that. Very important to go dancing this year to keep momentum. It's too early, but my first thought is we will be too young to go dancing in 2015/16. Hope I'm wrong. I think the year after we will start running teams off the court.

If I had to make a bet, I would bet the same way for 2015-16 - 8 freshman and sophs (including Gaston). Now, if they turn into recent years' Michigan type recruits, then all bets are off.

I gave Pitino an 8 and it probably would have been higher if Andre Hollins didnt get hurt last season. It was bad timing when he went down with his ankle injury because the Gophers probably win several more games as Hollins never really got back to 100%. After his first full season I am not sure what else we can ask for at this point. Won the NIT, he has a strong and full recruiting class for 2015, and has shown the ability to bring in talent from all over the country. The future looks good for the Gophers.

I think he's doing just fine. He's bringing in recruits that on paper project to be good four year players. If he can land amir then I think we may have a squad that could be special.

I gave him a 7. Happy with what I am seeing so far. I think he has created some excitement that the program needed (similar to what Tubby did when he came to MN). I'm cautiously optimistic.

I gave him a 7. Happy with what I am seeing so far. I think he has created some excitement that the program needed (similar to what Tubby did when he came to MN). I'm cautiously optimistic.

That's been me most of the time for about 50 years. Occasionally going to giddy excitement only to crash and wait for the next coach to be optimistic about. (Both basketball and football)

That's been me most of the time for about 50 years. Occasionally going to giddy excitement only to crash and wait for the next coach to be optimistic about. (Both basketball and football)

I'm with you here (though I can only claim about 35 years). Would you say that Pitino's injection of energy seems different than previous regimes? I also was excited about Tubby and Monson and Clem when they came in, but I have a different sense about the way Pitino runs his business. It could absolutely turn out the same as the past, but there's something intangible here that has me more confident. Is it just me?

I don't think it's just you, go_gophers.

There are an awful lot of us eager, very eager, for this upcoming season.

I'm with you here (though I can only claim about 35 years). Would you say that Pitino's injection of energy seems different than previous regimes? I also was excited about Tubby and Monson and Clem when they came in, but I have a different sense about the way Pitino runs his business. It could absolutely turn out the same as the past, but there's something intangible here that has me more confident. Is it just me?

Ya, I think I know what you mean. Clem, Monson, and Tubby came in to save the program after it seemed like it had hit bottom yet once again: the mess in Madison; Gangelgate; and the team simply giving up under Monson. To me, they were seen as saviors. I was just happy a coach with a good resume would come here to clean up a mess. They certainly didn't sit back, but compared to Pitino, they didn't seem to be as hungry. As others have pointed out, Pitino has come into a better situation, and even though he has the name, he seems to not take it for granted. He doesn't have the reputation yet, and he's going to work his ass off to get it. Clem took shortcuts; Monson started to coast right away; and Tubby just seemed to act old. Don't think young Rick is going to go down any of those paths. Plus, he's a cocky Eastern type with a great sense of humor and certainly knows how to use those attributes.

Ya, I think I know what you mean. Clem, Monson, and Tubby came in to save the program after it seemed like it had hit bottom yet once again: the mess in Madison; Gangelgate; and the team simply giving up under Monson. To me, they were seen as saviors. I was just happy a coach with a good resume would come here to clean up a mess. They certainly didn't sit back, but compared to Pitino, they didn't seem to be as hungry. As others have pointed out, Pitino has come into a better situation, and even though he has the name, he seems to not take it for granted. He doesn't have the reputation yet, and he's going to work his ass off to get it. Clem took shortcuts; Monson started to coast right away; and Tubby just seemed to act old. Don't think young Rick is going to go down any of those paths. Plus, he's a cocky Eastern type with a great sense of humor and certainly knows how to use those attributes.

Pitino is the first coach to come through here since Musselman who seems to have all of the qualities to create a winning and exciting brand of basketball. Great P.R. guy who will energize the fans, a ton of recruiting energy and the ability to sell, an up tempo style of play to watch, is developing players and appears to have the chops as a floor coach. I expected a recruiter who might be weak on coaching and developing in the beginning. However, early indications are that we have the full package in Pitino. Time will tell.

To be honest for me this doesn't feel any more exciting or different. Was super excited with Clem and the players he brought in and the work he got out of the players he had. He brought back the excitement that was missing since the 1982 big ten championship. Clem brought in some of the best players we have had recently, putting a lot of his recruits into the NBA. Monson for me was the one that didn't bring much energy to the program but he walked into huge sanctions so I can't blame the guy. He was over his head in my opinion.

The scary thing is that Tubby's first two years were a lot like Pitino's first two years. Pretty excited about the players he recruited and signed, big expectations for the future, then things went south fast with transfers and bad player behavior.

So no, I was just as excited and confident after Tubby's had signed Iverson, Bostick, Sampson, Joseph followed by Mbakwe, white and Williams, than I am right now with Pitino.

The difference (I hope) will be that Pitino keeps moving forward, reduces players jumping ship and doesn't have kids breaking the law. :rolleyes:

To be honest for me this doesn't feel any more exciting or different. Was super excited with Clem and the players he brought in and the work he got out of the players he had. He brought back the excitement that was missing since the 1982 big ten championship. Clem brought in some of the best players we have had recently, putting a lot of his recruits into the NBA. Monson for me was the one that didn't bring much energy to the program but he walked into huge sanctions so I can't blame the guy. He was over his head in my opinion.

The scary thing is that Tubby's first two years were a lot like Pitino's first two years. Pretty excited about the players he recruited and signed, big expectations for the future, then things went south fast with transfers and bad player behavior.

So no, I was just as excited and confident after Tubby's had signed Iverson, Bostick, Sampson, Joseph followed by Mbakwe, white and Williams, than I am right now with Pitino.

The difference (I hope) will be that Pitino keeps moving forward, reduces players jumping ship and doesn't have kids breaking the law. :rolleyes:

The difference as I see it is that Tubby had already built his resume or legacy and had peaked at the top of his bell curve. At the end he was just coasting and playing the game out. We're getting Pitino as he's building his resume and legacy and he's on the upswing of his curve. Always want to buy a business or stocks on the way up, not near the peak or on the other side. Pitino is my blue chip stock that is going to pay dividends today and down the road.

The difference as I see it is that Tubby had already built his resume or legacy and had peaked at the top of his bell curve. At the end he was just coasting and playing the game out. We're getting Pitino as he's building his resume and legacy and he's on the upswing of his curve. Always want to buy a business or stocks on the way up, not near the peak or on the other side. Pitino is my blue chip stock that is going to pay dividends today and down the road.

Solid point

The concern still has to be that Pitino is a tech bubble stock and explodes in our faces....

Unless we are talking about being a Final Four bubble team.

Top Bottom