How would you rate Pitino ayear and a half in?

How would you rate Richard Pitino as Head Coach?

• 10 - Guy walks on water

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • 9 - He can't fall off the court. He floats!

Votes: 30 21.9%

Votes: 46 33.6%

Votes: 31 22.6%

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • 5 - meh, he won the NIT, what about the NCAAs

Votes: 5 3.6%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 0.7%

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • 1 - We dumped Tubby for this!

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters

Otis

Reaction score
How would you rate Pitino a year and a half in?

I'm just curious how you all feel about our coach at this point of his tenure.

I feel like he has done an excellent job and hasn't made any missteps so far. I give him a 10.

I'm right around 6 or 7 (if it were an option, I'd give him an incomplete). I almost went with a 5 based on your description (what about the NCAA's?). At the end of the day, we missed the 68 team tournament field, and then went on a nice run in the consolation bracket. I was excited by what I saw in the NIT. However, I feel like this could have been an NCAA team but for some bad losses to very beatable teams. Feels like we wasted an opportunity.

Part of that is that I think I weight quality of recruiting less highly than other fans do. To me, I don't really care about the ratings on players, rather a good recruiting class is only useful in as much as it helps us get into and win games in the tournament, and rack up the Big Ten wins AND losses (copyright Wren 2014). He seems to be getting quality recruits and, more importantly, the kind of recruits that he wants, so I am optimistic that when all is said and done, he'll have a better grade for me, but I'll hold out on my praise until I see those results materialize in March Madness and the Big Ten standings (hopefully Big Ten championships).

Part of the reason he got such a high score despite missing the tournament is that I was impressed with his ability to adjust his gameplan and get results with a roster full of Tubby's players. Before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm not saying that there was anything wrong with the talent level Tubby left for Little Dick (tough to complain about both sides of Hollinsanity), just that they were players recruited for an entirely different system.

9. Can't expect much more at this point. He's bringing in good recruits, and obviously can coach. An NCAA bid would have been nice, and would have bumped my rating up to a 10, but given the roster turnover, lack of depth etc I'm happy with the way last year played out.

I think we'll win an NCAA game this year, be back on the bubble in 2015, and in 2016 the program will take off.

I gave him an 8. The defense was disappointing - and it was to him, too. I'd have given him an extra point had he reeled in one of the Big Three. And nobody gets a 10.

I gave him a 9, essentially an A-. He didn't make the NCAA's, but I fully believe they would have if Dre hadn't injured his ankle (and hip). So far his recruiting seems to be getting better and better and the players that were holdovers saw a lot of development in just his first year. There are very few coaches I'd trade him for right now.

5. It goes up only when he makes the only tournament that matters.

I graded him a 9.

I give Pitino a pass his first year for not making the tourney. Some of you guys/gals don't which is fine. I do. Too much to learn. Putting his system in place, etc.

I love how we finished strong after the Wisconsin hiccup. We won 8 of our last 10 games and I think the team got better as the season went on.

Recruiting is also really picking up.

And I have moved well past any doubts about his age, ability to handle the media, ability to actually coach on game day, etc.

Totally jazzed about the direction of the program.

We need to get to the NCAA's this season and win at least one game which is a reasonable goal. It appears that he may have recruited the types of player he needs which is a good sign.

I think until he has his recruits in here and can do some of the things he wants to do (press, run... etc...) I don't think we can give him a real grade. But just basing off of him coming in last june, filling some gaps and having the success we did, it's got to be about a 9. That includes recruiting which on paper has been outstanding. Signing Richard to a long-term deal would be the best signing of all IMO. I think things are really on the up.

We need to get to the NCAA's this season and win at least one game which is a reasonable goal.

Is it reasonable to expect something that's only happened 1 time in the last 16 years? maybe, maybe not. I'll say he's good enough at getting there next year with the understanding that the goal is always to win it all.

anyway I voted an 8.

7-8. He carries himself very well as the ambassador of the program.

His in game adjustments are good and he tailors game plans to specific opponents.

It is hard to judge as he has to use some players not recruited for his system, but the press was ineffective. That being said, he was smart enough to stop using it.

It is a great sign when my only fear about the program right now is losing the coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gave him an 8. The defense was disappointing - and it was to him, too. I'd have given him an extra point had he reeled in one of the Big Three. And nobody gets a 10.

Bo Derek did back in the day!

I started last with every starting point a C. (5). After one year he moved up a notch to C+ (6). I will re evaluate after his 2nd year.

Gave him an 8 for beating an SMU team that had a better argument than we did to be in the field of 68 and the fact that we were picked to finish 11th in the Big Ten. Besides, like Clem said, at the end of the year there are only 2 National Champions and we were 1 of them.

Gave him an 8 for beating an SMU team that had a better argument than we did to be in the field of 68 and the fact that we were picked to finish 11th in the Big Ten. Besides, like Clem said, at the end of the year there are only 2 National Champions and we were 1 of them.

But we could not have done it without Dad helping him! :cool02::cool02::cool02:

Is it reasonable to expect something that's only happened 1 time in the last 16 years? maybe, maybe not. I'll say he's good enough at getting there next year with the understanding that the goal is always to win it all.

anyway I voted an 8.

Yes, YES, 1,000 times YES! Part of the reason the football program has been down for so long is allowing past failures to excuse current (and future) results. The goal at the University of Minnesota should be to compete for conference championships (as it should be almost everywhere), the standard should be your progress towards accomplishing goals like that...as opposed to "just don't be an embarrassment like the last guy". I really hope the culture of low expectations doesn't invade the basketball board.

I voted an 8 as well. I thought Pitino did a very nice job for year one. I think people docking him for missing the tournament forget that we were only in discussion for making the tournament because he brought in Deandre Mathieu as a Spring recruit.

8. He overachieved imo.

I agree that he has done better than I expected this early in his tenure. I can say I like everything he is doing so far. It seems like he has a great staff, works well with the AD and says the right things. The true test will be if his players can achieve his goals and we won't know that for a few years. I am very happy with where the program looks like it is headed and am truly pumped up for the upcoming seasons!

Yes, YES, 1,000 times YES! Part of the reason the football program has been down for so long is allowing past failures to excuse current (and future) results. The goal at the University of Minnesota should be to compete for conference championships (as it should be almost everywhere), the standard should be your progress towards accomplishing goals like that...as opposed to "just don't be an embarrassment like the last guy". I really hope the culture of low expectations doesn't invade the basketball board.

I voted an 8 as well. I thought Pitino did a very nice job for year one. I think people docking him for missing the tournament forget that we were only in discussion for making the tournament because he brought in Deandre Mathieu as a Spring recruit.

Huh? You have high expectations of competing for conference championships, but give him a pass for missing the NCAA tourney despite the fact that we made the tournament the previous year?

Would you be happy winning the NIT again this year?

I gave him a 9. People forget what the expectations were coming into last season. I believe we were picked to finish 9-11 by most prognosticators, finished 7th and went on to win the NIT. MAJOR improvements from Mo and Elliot. Absolutely vital late additions of Mathieu and King to fill two holes that looked like they'd be major problems (I highly doubt Tubby would have plugged in players of their caliber). Improvement all the way through the season on the court with some excellent adjustment both through the course of the season and individual games. Extremely active recruiting, identifying the type of players he wants and getting them. Energetic and fiery. Extremely pleased with the direction of the program.

I gave him the ten cause he has yet to make a misstep. Plus the following:

1. Got Mo to shed all that weight and become abasketball player.
2. Recruited well for needs in his first year despite bing late to the party.
3. Made great adjustments to his planas season progressed.
4. It appears his recruiting classes are gong to get better and better.
5. My only real worry with the team is that his dad will retire and he will be gone just like Lou Holtz let me down back in the day.

I didn't vote because my choice was not available. I say he gets a zero because, lets face it, the only acceptable outcome is to win the national championship - anything short of that is abject failure. Some of you may be willing to settle for less, but I am such a good fan, I hold my teams to higher standards.

Full disclosure - I work at McDonalds and I accidently put my **** in the deep fat fryer the other day. But this is the internet so I can expect others to achieve far more than I ever could, and its my God-given right to voice my displeasure and disappointment when they don't.

I didn't vote because my choice was not available. I say he gets a zero because, lets face it, the only acceptable outcome is to win the national championship - anything short of that is abject failure. Some of you may be willing to settle for less, but I am such a good fan, I hold my teams to higher standards.

Full disclosure - I work at McDonalds and I accidently put my dick in the deep fat fryer the other day. But this is the internet so I can expect others to achieve far more than I ever could, and its my God-given right to voice my displeasure and disappointment when they don't.

That should become one enjoyable blow job, Philly. Brotherly Love?

Is it reasonable to expect something that's only happened 1 time in the last 16 years?

Also, this thread is ridiculous/hilarious. I could hear arguments for a 6 or maybe even a 7 (if you're the world's biggest homer/sycophant), but all of these 9s and 10s? For a guy who has as many career Tournament appearances as I do? Thanks as always for providing the fuel that allows me to laugh myself to sleep.

Top Bottom