"Big Ten championship still matters to the players"

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Excellent piece from Joe Rexrode of the Detroit Free Press. Agree with him wholeheartedly. With the advent of the 4-team College Football Playoff, most of those controlling public perception (media talking heads, radio blabbermouths, but primarily ESPN) would prefer everyone scoff at a conference championship if it doesn't get you into the playoff. How about just enjoying the journey, wherever it leads?

Best thought from Rexrode
"Has the Big Ten been bad through three weeks? Yes. Is there a strong chance it gets left out of the first College Football Playoff? Yes. Does that invalidate the rest of the season? If you think so, you should find something else to do with your free time."

http://www.freep.com/article/201409...Rexrode-MSU-running-toward-goal-Big-Ten-title

Excellent piece from Joe Rexrode of the Detroit Free Press. Agree with him wholeheartedly. With the advent of the 4-team College Football Playoff, most of those controlling public perception (media talking heads, radio blabbermouths, but primarily ESPN) would prefer everyone believe conference championships mean nothing if it doesn't get you into the playoff. How about just enjoying the journey, wherever it leads?

Best thought from Rexrode
"Has the Big Ten been bad through three weeks? Yes. Is there a strong chance it gets left out of the first College Football Playoff? Yes. Does that invalidate the rest of the season? If you think so, you should find something else to do with your free time."

http://www.freep.com/article/201409...Rexrode-MSU-running-toward-goal-Big-Ten-title

As bad as the Gophers looked Saturday, they still have a decent chance of playing for the championship in Indy because the entire conference and West division in particular look absolutely stinking awful. If they had Wiscy and Nebraska at home this year, it would be better than a decent chance. Iowa proved how crappy they are. Michigan doesn't really scare me. I think going 7-2 the rest of the way is feasible and with a few good breaks can land us in Indy. I for one would be celebrating like there is no tomorrow if we pulled off a B1G title.

The reason I still care about conference championships is that they are objective. You finish with the best record, and a prestated tiebreaker procedure than win a conference title game. There is no room to argue that some team should or shouldn't have been included.

As bad as the Gophers looked Saturday, they still have a decent chance of playing for the championship in Indy because the entire conference and West division in particular look absolutely stinking awful. If they had Wiscy and Nebraska at home this year, it would be better than a decent chance. Iowa proved how crappy they are. Michigan doesn't really scare me. I think going 7-2 the rest of the way is feasible and with a few good breaks can land us in Indy. I for one would be celebrating like there is no tomorrow if we pulled off a B1G title.

After three weeks I don't think anyone in the Big Ten and especially any one in the West should feel like they are out of contention for a trip to Indy. The whole conference just looks so mediocre from top to bottom right now. Will be interesting to see if anyone can separate from the pack some when we get into conference games.

After three weeks I don't think anyone in the Big Ten and especially any one in the West should feel like they are out of contention for a trip to Indy. The whole conference just looks so mediocre from top to bottom right now. Will be interesting to see if anyone can separate from the pack some when we get into conference games.

It's definitely a "balanced" conference this season, but nevertheless if the Big Ten champion doesn't come from one of Michigan State, Nebraska, Ohio State, or Wisconsin I'd be really surprised. I think the winner of the Nebraska-MSU game Oct. 4 becomes the odds-on favorite to win the title.

The Huskers could end up being similar to Sparty last season. Early on just kind of feeling their way, but eventually they'll be really good. Not to mention, they have the most dynamic talent (Ameer Abdullah) in the Big Ten.

I'd say you can omit Purdue for sure. They go beyond absolutely stinking awful.

You are so delusional....or blind.

Watching the teams in the west, I think it will come down to one game. Wisconsin. Vs Nebraska. They are the two balanced teams in the west.

Watching the teams in the west, I think it will come down to one game. Wisconsin. Vs Nebraska. They are the two balanced teams in the west.

Honestly, I'm not sure we know whether Wisconsin's passing game is any better than ours. McEvoy looked worse against LSU than even Mitch did this weekend. Nebraska needed a heroic effort by Abdullah to beat McNeese State at home in the last minute. I don't necessarily think we are better than those teams but it just illustrates how everyone in the West has noticeable holes

I think the Big Ten championship will always matter to the players, but to certain fan bases it might not matter as much. For a school like tOSU that expects to be in that championship game more often than not, having no shot at getting in to the playoff will probably turn off a significant segment of their fan base.

Top Bottom