Wojnarowski: ... FIBA and USA Basketball, which is little more than a Duke facade

scher215

Reaction score
While this is also related to the NBA and FIBA, most are viewing it as a piece aimed at Coach K/Duke. I know at least a few posters here who may enjoy that.

http://yhoo.it/1qPE9cP

Nice write-up. Pretty harsh on Coach K, but the manipulation doesn't really surprise me. I didn't realize all the additional access he got to recruits through his USA Basketball role. Best part of the column is the push for younger players all around. I would go on further and make the Olympics at least, amatuer again.

Nice write-up. Pretty harsh on Coach K, but the manipulation doesn't really surprise me. I didn't realize all the additional access he got to recruits through his USA Basketball role. Best part of the column is the push for younger players all around. I would go on further and make the Olympics at least, amatuer again.

:clap:

While the Olympics won't be amatuer ever again, FIBA does want the Olympics to be a U-22 tournament. That would mean mainly 1st and 2nd year pros from the NBA.

While the Olympics won't be amatuer ever again, FIBA does want the Olympics to be a U-22 tournament. That would mean mainly 1st and 2nd year pros from the NBA.

I am not sure how I would feel about taking the veteran pros out of Olympics. I had a great time watching Olympic hockey the last few times around. Seeing the aging, declining veterans regain some form in the name of national pride can be a lot of fun. I enjoyed the storyline with Selanne and Granlund playing on the same line, when Granlund had been born after Selanne's first Olympic appearance. It was great to catch a legend like the Finnish Flash have one last great run.

I am not sure how I would feel about taking the veteran pros out of Olympics. I had a great time watching Olympic hockey the last few times around. Seeing the aging, declining veterans regain some form in the name of national pride can be a lot of fun. I enjoyed the storyline with Selanne and Granlund playing on the same line, when Granlund had been born after Selanne's first Olympic appearance. It was great to catch a legend like the Finnish Flash have one last great run.

The difference is that it's actually competitive in hockey because the best players are from all over the world, Canada, USA, Finland, Russia, etc...Tons of good to great players. Basketball, the D-League all-stars could compete with some of the teams that the US plays in pool play. Plus, the great players, Ginobili, Gasol, Parker, are all getting older while the US can just keep pumping out stars. Love Olympic hockey am starting to feel meh towards basketball.

On the Coach K thing, I had no idea and it's a really nice write-up. I'm calling shenanigans. Of course nothing bad could ever happen to Duke.

FIBA wants the World Cup to be THE tournament on the international calendar, much like FIFA's World Cup.

The question is: Does FIBA have enough pull with the IOC to make basketball a restricted tournament?

The Olympics have become mostly professional junk sports.

Not that I have a strong opinion either way on this topic, but I figured I'd share the follow up article with Coach K and Boeheim's response. I can see both sides of the argument. It does seem like a recruiting advantage for those coaches, but in a way, one could say that they've earned it with their coaching success over the years to get them into that position.

Coach K, Boeheim Fire Back on Paul George, Recruiting Advantage Story; Calipari Chimes in on Twitter
http://zagsblog.com/articles/coach-...ge-recruiting-advantage-theories/#more-121840

Top Bottom